Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #1

Slide out problem

Greetings, we have a 2004 40 foot front door coach and we're have problems with the wardrobe slide out. Once extended, over a period of time it slowly creeps back in. The amount of time is usually a few days. I've checked the manual T handle release and it is closed. Any suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #2

The is a leak somewhere. The "likely suspects" are:

1. Above the CAC/radiator-- will show as oil leaking down the front (front of coach) of the CAC.

2. The extend syncro cylinder. On our 2003 in the battery box bay-- at the front upper wall.

Let us know what you find. I just went through this and upgraded the hoses from pump to wardrobe slide and materially improved on the hose routing (cooler area and fewer connections) because of issues caused by routing the hoses over the very hot CAC and radiator.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:56 PM   #3

Just so we are talking "apples to apples" the t-handle solenoids on the pump/manifold are used to control the jacks. The extend/retract solenoids with the small pins and lock nuts control the slides. Agree--probably a leak-back situation as HWH uses reverse ram pressure to hold the slides in-place. Alpines with wardrobe slides over the radiator stack are susceptible to hose failure due to excessive heat. Leak-back can also occur if debris has gotten into the retracting solenoid or the solenoid has a bad seal/o-ring, and is allowing pressurized fluid to by-pass to the manifold/reservoir.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #4

You are correct, the valves I was looking at were for the jacks. I currently do not have any leaks. Here's a little history on the system:
03/10/11 Replaced the hydraulic hose the wardrobe pop-out (right side) because of a leak.
09/25/11 Jacks would not retract,"T" handles did not work.
09/28/11 HWH diagnosed the problem as a faulty "Shuttle" valve.
10/12/11 Replaced the shuttle valve, this corrected the problem. Looking at the old valve, I found a piece of rubber in the valve. I think this came form the defective hose and caused the problems with the shuttle valve.

I believe I could have more debris in the system, have you ever removed a solenoid?
Old 09-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #5

Great point--I tend to forget about the shuttle valve. I have not personally removed one of the slide or jack solenoids. They are threaded into the manifold and have one or more 0-rings. Believe the challenge is finding room in between the solenoids to get a grip on the solenoid body. Engineer Mike fabricated and sells a two-pronged tool that engages the solenoid from the end. Believe new/refurbished solenoids are available from several sources on the internet [maybe Amazon???] Also, the O-rings are uniquely shaped and may be proprietary to HWH....
Old 09-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #6

HWH does sell the seals/O rings as a kit.

But, no installation instructions.

So here is how they are installed:

Square seal "inboard" with convex side toward outside/end. O ring comes next so it fits into the convex side of the square seal.

The larger square and o ring are for the seal between solenoid and aluminum body. The smaller seals are for the internal seals.

You can use a large pair of vice grips to loosen/tighten. Torque is NOT excessive-- the shoulder of the seals is what seals.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:26 PM   #7

On my 40' had the same problem with the bed slide creeping in. Replaced the extend solenoid and took care of the problem. The manifold for those solenoids is located in the rear storage compartment. Since removal tool would not fit so used large pearhead pliers.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:38 PM   #8

Yup--they moved part of the manifold/solenoids on the Apexs [maybe some of the newest Limited [LE] Editions too] to accommodate the "magic" slide drawers/doors in the basement--the OP's 04 has all the slide/jack solenoids co-located on the main manifold and pump assembly.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:05 PM   #9

Thanks for your help! I've decided to take the Coach to the HWH Master Service Center near our home.

Thanks again
JD
Old 09-09-2016, 03:06 PM   #10

JD,

Once the problem has been identified, let us know what it is.
I have a complete write up on rerouting the wardrobe slide hoses away from the heat. Could e-mail it to you if that is the issue-- just PM me your e-mail address.

Brett
Old 09-11-2016, 09:21 AM   #11

Brett,

Thanks for your assistance. I'll keep you posted on the repairs. I'm not in a hurry, as the slide creep is relatively slow and we have several trips planned. Also thanks for your offer to share the write up on rerouting the wardrobe slide hose.

jvndnbrg@aol.com

JD
Old 09-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #12

JD,

E-mail sent.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #13

Brett
I did not receive your E-mail

jvndnbrg@aol.com

Thanks again
JD

Tags