Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
My slide is stuck in the partial out position. How it got there: We are staying at an RV Park about 10 miles north of Parker AZ, on the CA side. I was having problems leveling, finally got level then started running out the slide. Slide got out about 5 inches and stopped. I tried moving it back in, nada. In fact, the slide would not go in or out. This morning I tried the leveling jacks. They would not extend. In fact, when I hit the manual extend, they came up instead. I have checked all the fuses and they are OK. I'm getting 13.2 nolts at the pump. I need to know which of the solonids (sp) operate the slide, so I can get the slide back in, and any thoughts on what I might do to get this thing working again.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
My slide is stuck in the partial out position. How it got there: We are staying at an RV Park about 10 miles north of Parker AZ, on the CA side. I was having problems leveling, finally got level then started running out the slide. Slide got out about 5 inches and stopped. I tried moving it back in, nada. In fact, the slide would not go in or out. This morning I tried the leveling jacks. They would not extend. In fact, when I hit the manual extend, they came up instead. I have checked all the fuses and they are OK. I'm getting 13.2 nolts at the pump. I need to know which of the solonids (sp) operate the slide, so I can get the slide back in, and any thoughts on what I might do to get this thing working again.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:23 PM   #3

Probably not a great help since our last experience with a slide out problem was with another company. However, we called HWH several times and they were very helpful at diagnosing at a distance and making suggestions. If you don't have it their number is 800-321-3494 or 563-724-3396. Our rig is a 2005 so don't think our systems would match. Hopefully someone else will have a better answer.
Gary & Betsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:26 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
My friend Ron has a 2001 Alpine. While on vacation one year he had a similar problem. We found that on the back side of the control panel for the jacks there was a electrical plug connection that had worked its way loose. Plugged the connection back in and it has worked fine since.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
rvg

We have a 2000 Alpine, and when we were leaving a campground in Arizona two years ago, the slide would not go in.. no power.
We called a RV repair place, they came out and found on a circuit board behind the dash, a component had a loose solder. They did not have a soldering iron with them, so we bought one, and fixed it with just a touch of the iron. Has worked fine since.
rvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Jeff:

rvg is right. The problem is usually the control panel. The plugs on the backside often get loose. Check this first. It usually does not need anything but a push.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:15 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
In troubleshooting today we were able to determine that the solonids were getting electric when I pushed the control buttons on the HWH control panel.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:00 PM   #8

Jeff,

Since your solenoids are getting electricity, then either they or the pump might be bad. When you press extend or retract, do you hear a clicking sound at the solenoids, but no pump noise? If so, then one of the solenoids might be bad. It is also possible that the pump is bad, but that seems less likely.

One of solenoids went bad and HWH air-freighted replacements for both to me overnight. After replacing both of them, that fixed the problem. They don't cost very much, so it is better to replace both of them.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:54 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
As a temporary fix, you could "swap" solenoids to see 1) if it is indeed a bad solenoid, and 2) get everything ready for travel to a repair place or home.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:12 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Jeff:

It sounds similar to what has happened to me twice. Both times it has been the electric pump motor on the HWH.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:59 AM   #11

I agree with Sammie if you have the draw type consel and the HWH panel is located there remove the four screws pull the panel out and make sure the 11 pin plug is seated all the way in, also if you get no results from that pull the cap off the 11 pin plug and with a small tool push each wire down to make sure they are seated and in contact with each pin.

Phil
Wallyswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:00 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We had that problem and it was a loose cable at the pump.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
And the problem was...
I took the coach into 3-T's RV Service in Lake Havasu City (I found them thru the HWH web site). Problem turned out to be a solonid had worked loose and it grounded out. This in turn caused a 5 amp fuse to blow. This fuse is located behind a panel that I did not know was removable. Anyway, removing this panel allows for access to the HWH "brain" and there are fuses in this area. One of these fuses went POP. The tech explained that this was as designed, the fuse saved the controller.

I was unable to move the slide so drove the 45 miles with the slide out about 5 inches. Not sonething I would want to do on a regular basis but the slide did not slide, and now all is well.

Thank-you all for your suggestions and help.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:58 AM   #14

Where exactly is the panel in case some of us older coach owners have a similar problem?