Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:13 AM   #1

We have been (and are at the moment) subject to gusty winds. As I watch the slide topper on the livingroom slide, I see the gusts stretch the topper to the max, though it does not appear to put much force beyond that point. We brought the slide in as a safety precaution. Any ideas on how high of a wind speed the topper can tolerate? What are some of the experiences you have had and what actions do you take (or not take)? We have a tendency to err on the side of caution.

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2008, 10:13 AM   #2

We have been (and are at the moment) subject to gusty winds. As I watch the slide topper on the livingroom slide, I see the gusts stretch the topper to the max, though it does not appear to put much force beyond that point. We brought the slide in as a safety precaution. Any ideas on how high of a wind speed the topper can tolerate? What are some of the experiences you have had and what actions do you take (or not take)? We have a tendency to err on the side of caution.

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:51 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Our toppers have been through hail, windstorm and a tornado (about 1/2 mile away). While they do get bounced around, except for a bit of fraying on the leading edge, my large slide toppper remains in really good shape. The other toppers are in excellent condition. We were able to close the slides during the above mentioned events, but not until most, if not all of the event was over.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:39 PM   #4

I forgot to put my slide in once and drove down the hiway about 70 mph before realizing and pulling over...just kidding.

I was camped in an area that was reporting gusts of 80 and decided to pull the slide in. So, gusts were somewhere close to 80 before I pulled it in. Left the bedroom slide out though... it is half the size.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have seen damaged slide toppers from wind but they are usually quite old.

I think you will be safe with your 2005 however I do pull my living room slide in if the wind is blowing the topper awning. The noise bothers me not to mention the chance it may rip.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:32 AM   #6

We have had the wind damage our patio awning and slide toppers and will have to replace them soon.

FWIW, they are '98 vintage and even though they are TOTL acrylic Sunbrella fabric, they all age and get brittle over time.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #7

It really depends on the angle of the wind hitting the slide. I have been is some gusts that have actually rocked the entire slide up and down when it was extended. I chose then to retract the slide for peace of mind. It can also make a difference how deep the slide is. My current rig has 18" slides and the toppers don't catch as much wind. My previous 5ver had a 48" slide and it would rock and flap around pretty good. The toppers were showing signs of tearing at the edge where it connected to the side wall when I traded it in.

Same with an awning. The flap of material is so big it can really snap in a stiff wind. Then I have seen them tear off at the roof line like snapping off a sheet of wax paper off of a roll. If you have any doubts, pull them in. Your peace of mind is a whole lot cheaper than fixing the damage.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry -

At the ACA Rally in Hinkley last summer, we had a toronado go through the area. All of our slides were out and the wind gusts were over 75 mph. Scared the beegeebees out of us but none of the Alpines suffered damage.

The older coach next to ours that did not have the newer slide toppers, tried to pull their slide in DURING the storm and fouled up the topper so it didn't roll in evenly. Once the storm passed they opened up the slide and easily fixed the topper.

In the future I would certainly pull our slides in BEFORE the impending storm (just to relieve nerves)- never during it. I am fairly sure you have the same toppers on your '05 as we have on our '07.
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have 14 ft and 10 ft A&E slide toppers and we go to the windy desert often. I noticed how the cover would billow up in stronger winds. So when the winds picked up I would wrap a bungee cord around the one end that has the little arm sticking out. That would add more tension and keep them flatter and not create so much lift and flapping.

Then one of the iRV2 poster gave instructions on how to safely add a turn (or two if necessary) to the spring tension at each end of both slide toppers. That was last year and they have been thru a few strong winds since then. Also I don't get as much rain puddling up there.

If you have A&E here's the process to tighten up sagging toppers complements of the "TheRVguy"
iRV2 posting for tightening the toppers
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
In heavy winds we pull in the slides to be safe as it is easier than going to the repair shop but in general they handle winds well.

Did lose two toppers to hail in WY last year and when I anticipate hail (we use the weather radio) we pull in the slides.

Nick
Journey '01
Old 12-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We try to keep an eye on the weather service statements and bring the slides in before any of the real nasty stuff starts. Like Nick says, "...it is easier than going to a repair shop...".
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:14 PM   #12

My L/R slide topper, on our 2004 DSDP,delaminated due to heavy winds, while we were in Kansas. I am in the process of finding the best place to order new material.
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote