Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2014, 07:09 PM   #1

Slide Trouble

The main salon slide on my 2003 MDTS is having a problem. I retracted the slide before we left Flagstaff and the inner seal partially came loose where it's glued to the coach and rolled between the slide and the coach body. It jammed the upper portion of the slide.

I didn't notice anything wrong as I pulled the slide in, but ultimately saw that only the bottom of the slide came all the way in. The top was still 3 or 4 inches from the outer sidewall of the coach.

When I tried to extend the slide, it only went out a few inches before binding again.

I was able to get my fingers on the seal from the inside and pull much of it in. Then I used 3M dry silicon spray to lube the area. Only then could I get the slide to fully retract.

We're boondocking at the moment and heading to Bluff, UT, then Moab. I tried to extend the slide, but it began to bind after moving out a few inches. I was able to retract it and we're living with it retracted.

Any advice? Anyone know of a good RV tech in Bluff, Moab or Salt Lake City? Thanks.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #2

Hi Mike

Sorry I can't help you with your slide problem or a place nearby to get it fixed. But since you are near Bluff UT have you been to or are you at Goose Necks State Park? It's free to stay and fantastic views.
Hope you get your slide seal fixed.

Geoff
Old 05-12-2014, 06:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinedrvr View Post
Hi Mike

Sorry I can't help you with your slide problem or a place nearby to get it fixed. But since you are near Bluff UT have you been to or are you at Goose Necks State Park? It's free to stay and fantastic views.
Hope you get your slide seal fixed.

Geoff
Goose Necks State Park is no longer free. They just finished doing some work in the parking lot and installed a pay station. Someoone told me what the cost was but I forgot, I think it was $18.

Ken Tarkin
Ken T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:34 AM   #4

Hi Ken

That's interesting! We were there about 3 and a half weeks ago and there didn't seem to be any work being done at all. Maybe some governments do move quickly!!

Geoff
Old 05-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinedrvr View Post
Hi Ken

That's interesting! We were there about 3 and a half weeks ago and there didn't seem to be any work being done at all. Maybe some governments do move quickly!!

Geoff
We were there on April 23 and they were working in the parking area. Did not know it was a fee station.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #6

I just checked the website for UT state parks and sure nuf...2/day use and 10 for overnight camping.

Rich and Cork ...if they were still working on the parking lot I guess they would not have installed the pay station but then again ......you never know...pay first and then we work!!

Geoff
Old 05-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #7

What does Goose Necks State Park have to do with the OP slide problem.

Hopefully others will post information to help you out of this problem It might help to post some pics and more details on the slide manufacturer and model. Good luck
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #8

It sounds like wiper seal came loose. IIWM I would remove the slide topper to get access to it. If it is the inner compression seal then the wood trim around the inside will need to come off to assess the damage. Neither easy jobs.

I attached a simple drawing I made to show WRV why my slide leaked. It may help you see how the seals are placed.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne R View Post
It sounds like wiper seal came loose. IIWM I would remove the slide topper to get access to it. If it is the inner compression seal then the wood trim around the inside will need to come off to assess the damage. Neither easy jobs.

I attached a simple drawing I made to show WRV why my slide leaked. It may help you see how the seals are placed.
Thanks for getting back on topic Wayne, and thanks for the information. It will be helpful when I discuss repair options with a shop.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide