Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2007, 08:50 PM   #1

I'm hoping the collective minds gathered at the Alpine SoCal Rally at Sugarbarge and the rest of the Alpine forum can help me out. I Came out to the desert this weekend and arrived an hour ago. Plan is to bring the coach back to cooler climes for the summer. All was well when we were out here 2 weeks ago and buttoned things up when we left. We were opening up upon arrival, and I turned on the ignition to open up the slides. Living room slide barely moved, the lights dimmed and I released the switch. Tried it again- the slide moved a little, lights dimmed, and it stopped. It's night, I figured I'll look into it in the morning, and I'll just open the bedroom slide. Same thing! Slide barely moves, lights dim, things kind of groan.

No hydraulic fluid on the ground that I can see with my miner's light, and it is, after all, both slides. Furthermore, I had the hoses checked and replaced when I bought the coach new a year ago. I'm hooked up to 50 amp shore power and it seems to be on and working.

The problem seems to be electric. I fired up the generator just "to check", and it's still the same. Barely moves, and lights dim.

Any ideas? Of course it's Friday night. My plan was to take the coach in for service and a few repairs Monday morning.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2007, 08:50 PM   #2

I'm hoping the collective minds gathered at the Alpine SoCal Rally at Sugarbarge and the rest of the Alpine forum can help me out. I Came out to the desert this weekend and arrived an hour ago. Plan is to bring the coach back to cooler climes for the summer. All was well when we were out here 2 weeks ago and buttoned things up when we left. We were opening up upon arrival, and I turned on the ignition to open up the slides. Living room slide barely moved, the lights dimmed and I released the switch. Tried it again- the slide moved a little, lights dimmed, and it stopped. It's night, I figured I'll look into it in the morning, and I'll just open the bedroom slide. Same thing! Slide barely moves, lights dim, things kind of groan.

No hydraulic fluid on the ground that I can see with my miner's light, and it is, after all, both slides. Furthermore, I had the hoses checked and replaced when I bought the coach new a year ago. I'm hooked up to 50 amp shore power and it seems to be on and working.

The problem seems to be electric. I fired up the generator just "to check", and it's still the same. Barely moves, and lights dim.

Any ideas? Of course it's Friday night. My plan was to take the coach in for service and a few repairs Monday morning.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:24 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Rick - Try pushing the reset button by the hydrolic pump in the side compartment. When the pump has power a red light is on & close to it should be a reset button.

When I have had that problem all I did was hit the reset button and the slides worked again.

Hope that solves your problem!
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:38 AM   #4

I would also check the battery condition. If not having adequate charge, the same symptoms would be evident.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:03 AM   #5

Not having had any slide difficulties before (I've been very fortunate) I don't know the location of the compartment with the slide pump, etc. Where is it? I'll try it as soon as I can find it.

Thanks
Old 06-02-2007, 11:45 AM   #6

I found the location of the slide solenoids and pump relay(s), but there is no toggle switch or reset button to be found. The schematic in the compartment doesn't show one either. Anyone have a clue where to look? There is no visible red light when the power is on, and no reset. It's obvious that coaches are not all the same. Anyone with an '04-'05 36MDDS????
Old 06-03-2007, 08:56 AM   #7

Rick: Are your levelers down? On my coach, they must be or the slides react as you described. The levelers don't have to do much other than being down. My slides are hydraulic, not electric. I'll bet yours are also.

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #8

Good News! I never did find a reset button, but several suggestions that the battery charge was down were correct, in spite of being hooked up to 50amp shore power. I ran the engine at fast idle for 20-30 minutes and the alternator boosted the battery charge. Slides worked like a charm! And yes, Chris, the jacks were down and the coach level. Thanks to you all for your suggestions. Now I can plan on getting going early tomorrow to Acacia RV for some maintenance and repairs. This forum is a real lifesaver for we "RV challenged" people.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:31 AM   #9

Great news.

I'm too simple-minded to begin looking for complicated solutions.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote