Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #1

Slides wont go out

Set up camp last night and neither of my slides would go out.I assume my. House batteries have died, but is there somewhere else I should be looking. I have an 05 40 ft with 4 slides. I get a slight buzzing sound when I push the extend button but that is it.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello, what Motorhome do you have?

TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:54 AM   #3

I have a 40 ft alpine coach 2005 with 4 slides
Old 05-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #4

Are your Jacks working? If they are not the problem is likely with the HWH 625 control panel. The slides can be operated by applying power to the pin 13 of connector 3 on the 625 panel. When power is applied to pin 13 the slides will work normally from the switches inside the coach. Several of us have had problems with this panel, do a search of the Alpine forum for more nfo.

If the house batteries are dead that is probably your problem. The HWH pump could also be bad. All 4 slide are Hydraulic.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
If all hydraulic systems are out, it could also be a broken line. Was there a hydraulic fluid leak under the coach?
Old 05-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I had some intermittent issues with the HWH. I found that pulling/wiggling the short ground wire going from the manifold with the pumps and all the solenoids back to the frame would make it work. Turns out the end that connected to the frame was loose. So many grounds get loose on these coaches and cause problems.
TerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #7

Thanks to all. I did find a small leak ,but it was pretty minor. The jacks are working. I was a bit un level and I moved and revealed. One slide went out, and then none of the others wound move. The motor hums but no movement in or out. Where is the place to check and fill the hydraulic fluid?
Thanks
Old 05-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
There should be an outside control panel in the HWH bay for all the slides. See if they work from that location, if so, there are either fuses or relays bad. If you don't have an outside panel, then make sure you are level, you said you re-leveled, are you on an excess slope, which could cause the jacks to be at or near their overextend point.

FWIW - When asked about which coach, usually folks want to see the model number, i.e., 40MDTS wich translates to 40 feet long, mid door, triple slide, so yours most likely is a: 40FDQS or something similiar.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I am assuming you have found the HWH access door (the little one near thr PS wheel well) and the solonids and pump. They are sitting over the tank. Near the back of this tank there is a filler. It is nearly impossible to find without knowing it is there. The screw-on cap also has a dipstick. This cap is difficult to access and difficult to put fluid into after you get it out. Before checking fluid level or adding fluid, make sure the slides are in and the jacks are up.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:50 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Since getting to the filler opening is difficult with any kind of bottle. I took a plastic kechep bottle from Walmart. Took some small diameter plastic tubing, and cut just the tip off the bottle, pushed the plastic tubing down into that bottle. Then fill up with HWH hydraulic fluid (Camping world in qt sized containers), and just then put the tube in the filler neck, and squeeze the bottle, the fluid will go through the tube into the tank and you wont have a mess. I keep a couple of quarts of the Hyd fluid in the things I carry with me.

FWIW - If you can find some of those plastic boxes which gallon milk is delivered to stores in, those work well for keeping all the different fluids you need to carry in the coach with you.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #11

Thanks guys.Still working on the issue. Obviously I am new at this. I do have a 40 FDQS. I found the filler cap nut. No kidding it is hard to get to.Who engineers these things? My right forward slide is out and the left forward is 1/3out. They will not move in. Should I not add fluid since they are out
Appreciate your help folks
Old 05-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #12

Another question. I only see one manual crank and strap which is located beneath the kitchen (front right) slide. If I don't get the HWH working, is there a procedure to get the right front slide in manually?
Old 05-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odchrist View Post
Another question. I only see one manual crank and strap which is located beneath the kitchen (front right) slide. If I don't get the HWH working, is there a procedure to get the right front slide in manually?
There is but not sure it will work (I never tried). You should have two 3 foot long screws that are meant to pull the slide in after it has been raised up off of the floor. HWH has overnighted pumps to stranded owners in the past if that is you problem.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #14

For better access to HWH solenoids, tank, filler (especially on the 05) you can remove the two hold-down screws on either side of the HWH mother board that is obscuring the manifold, unplug the various connectors taking care to note which is which.
Once m.b. is removed from the coach, saw off the upper 45% of the frame holding the m.b., as it provides zero function other than to get in the way.

Before embarking on the above, go to the ACA TEchnical Library or your HWH documentation if your rig came w/such) and get the key to the fuses & LED's on the motherboard. W/it you can discern what's working and what isn't. there are nearly 40 LEDs, some red and some yellow, and each has a meaning. Slides are less related to board logic than jacks, but parts of the board should light when operating the slides.

As to emergency procedure to run the PS front slide in, there is a thread here under the Alpine Forum where this was successfully done using a jack, post & 4x4 under the slide to jack it up the 3" or so it needs (IIRC they moved a picnic bench below the slide to support from). You can do a Search