Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:41 AM   #1
Sliding Mirror Door On Bedroom Closet

Has anyone replaced a closet door? We had a small crack on one side for a long time and then the mirror cracked across the entire door. What type of glass in it made of?

2004 40' MDTS

anthem4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2010, 04:11 AM   #2
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
We had to replace our closet door on our last coach a 2003 Holiday Rambler Vacationer.

Not paying attention to what I was doing, I broke it BIG TIME.

Anyhow I took the complete broken door to a glass shop and about $100.00 later, all fixed. The mirror has a plastic film on the back so that when a clutz like me breaks it, it does not shatter but holds together instead.

Ray, Sandra, and Zorro
2009 Safari Simba 34SBD
Workhorse (Of Course!)
idenphones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Frankly I've never been convinced of the need for mirrored wardrobe sliders at that closet. One can't get far enough away from them for them to be useable. I think some sliding louvred doors make more sense and couldn't shatter.
Rick Coleman
'05 Alpine 36MDDS
Rick Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
Alpine Owners Club
True. They aren't usable for looking at yourself in them (I try to avoid the resulting shatter anyhow). But they really do make the room look bigger. On my last coach I added a couple full height mirrors and the resulting "feel" of the space grew instantly.

The other day, I had a Monaco parked across the way and looking through his coach I could not see where it ended. Every surface facing out the front had been mirrored. It really did look huge inside. I am certain he had a case of Windex in the bins below.

On my coach, I mirrored the wall behind the toilet. Now it feels much bigger when walking in. (The prettier people in this group may want to mirror the opposite wall.) Large, light-weight and cheap mirrors are available at Home Depot. Mine was about $15 and goes wall to wall.

Back to the closet door... I have custom ordered mirrored closet doors from Home Depot to fit into various closet and cabinet openings. Though I use the frameless ones, you would need the frame for the latch. I think even Stanley does custom mirrored doors.
2003 Alpine 40FDTS (400HP)
Long Beach, CA
takepride is offline   Reply With Quote