Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2018, 09:42 AM   #1

Slow discharge of batteries

So I also have a discharge issue. New for this coach. I am a new owner of a 2000 36FD. I have read about the trombetta solenoid and the vansco lights. I do not think I have either of these but don't really know. If somebody knows about this coach and can give me a heads up I would really appreciate it. Also the solar panel is wired to the coach batteries and not the chassis batteries?? The old owner claims he has never had these discharge issues and I have no reason not to believe him.
HELP!

Jim Lindgren
2000 36FD
lindgrenjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2018, 02:08 PM   #2

...what is your definition of a "discharge issue?"....many of the threads on this subject, on this forum, refer to 2004 and newer Alpines equipped with Vansco Comm. modules....older Alpines use an old-style battery isolator and a trickle charger to keep both house and chassis bats charged....with all the phantom draws on our Alpines, some degree of bat discharge is to be expected if you are not on shore power....that is unless, you actually remove cables from bats while not plugged in...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #3

Even if you disconnect the batteries they will run down over time. Each battery chemistry has a built in leakage factor in the cell chemistry. Each chemistry is different but they all have leakage.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:51 PM   #4

more details

The batteries went to low to start in about a 4 month period, However the previous owner claims he never had the problem. I will replace the 4 coach batteries and clean the ground terminal at the back of the bat. tray and see what happens. I replaced the chassis bats. a year ago.

Thanks, Jim

2000 36FD
lindgrenjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:56 PM   #5

...and the problem is?.....4 months not plugged in--not a problem....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
...and the problem is?.....4 months not plugged in--not a problem....
Yeah, that's doesn't seem unreasonable...
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:31 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Sounds like the problem is the definition of how long it takes for an unused battery to “run down”. Four months is an acceptable period of time, actually I would be very happy with 4 months.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
a trickle charger to keep both house and chassis bats charged.
An excellent idea for any vehicle, but cell water levels must be monitored.

My '57 F100 will sit for months w/o drain as OP described, but it has none of the 'new' electronics found in new vehicles.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:07 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgrenjb View Post
So I also have a discharge issue. New for this coach. I am a new owner of a 2000 36FD.

Jim Lindgren
2000 36FD

Please update your profile, it shows you still have a Winni ......
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:07 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
APEX has 8 house batteries, even if switches off, they have parasitic loads hooked directly to the batteries, and that can take them down in a week not plugged in. The solar panel can keep them up for a long time if no other draw, and you have direct sun over the coach. I prefer to keep mine under cover, so no great solar power charging. I go over about every 7-10 days and run the generator and some of the systems to keep things working, I figure I run it 60 hours in the summer. Since I do annual oil change, I don't worry about the hours on the genset, it also keeps the contacts clean inside the genset. Ran everything today, it all works.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries