Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:07 AM   #1

I keep forgetting to ask if any of you have a slow gray water dumping problem. My vents seem to be ok , but it takes a long time to empty. I can disconnect the drain hose and watch the slow flow; so much so that even if the vent were plugged, sufficient air should enter the drain to make for a better flow. The only time that it is a problem is when using a public facility and others are waiting. The black exits very quickly. I have often wondered why we have such small drains for gray water. If we can figure how to use the TV, we should remember which one of the discharges is the black tank!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2007, 11:07 AM   #2

I keep forgetting to ask if any of you have a slow gray water dumping problem. My vents seem to be ok , but it takes a long time to empty. I can disconnect the drain hose and watch the slow flow; so much so that even if the vent were plugged, sufficient air should enter the drain to make for a better flow. The only time that it is a problem is when using a public facility and others are waiting. The black exits very quickly. I have often wondered why we have such small drains for gray water. If we can figure how to use the TV, we should remember which one of the discharges is the black tank!!!

Old 03-19-2007, 12:59 PM   #3

Lundy,

I have noticed the same problem on my 36FDDS. Not only that but the gray tank indicator does not seem to be very accurate. All the other tank indicators work fine. I have had the rig since August 2006.

Milo
Old 03-19-2007, 06:39 PM   #4

Lundy,

Our '06 36 MDDS does not drain any slower from the grey tank than the black tank; it is a bigger tank and takes longer to drain, but the flow rate appears to be about the same. When both are full, it takes about 1.5 times as long to drain the grey as the black, but then it's 100 gallons vs 78 gallons, so that's not significantly out of the range.

Also, our grey tank sensors do not work well, like yours. I had a 2005 class C Fleetwood Tioga before this and its grey tank sensor was very accurate. WRV's sensors just don't read as well. What I have learned is that if you add about 1/4 cup or so of salt to the grey tank when you empty it and add the first grey water to it, the sensors are much more accurate. Apparently the salt ions help the sensors work a lot better.

I don't add the salt unless I'm seriously going in and out of dry camping situations and want an accurate reading. Otherwise when I'm dry camping, if I know the holding tanks are empty when I leave and if the fresh water tank is full, there's no way I can overfill the grey water tank unless I add more water before I dump the tanks.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:37 AM   #5

OldForester, thanks for the tip on using the salt. I realize that the gray tank is larger, but the flow is restricted. Just after the DDR in Quartzsite, I emptied my tanks at a public dump. After completely dumping the black tank, I closed it off and after the initial flow from the gray, I disconnected the drain hose and let the gray drain into the hose while I held it. It ran at the rate of less than per gallon per minute for so long that I was embarrassed to wait any longer. From what you experience, I must have some sort of restriction. On my 2000, I constantly jammed up the toilet which was finally traced to a glob of glue catching the toilet paper. I will be in Yakima in May so I will add this to my list.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:51 AM   #6

Have the slow flow gray water on 01 Alpine 36'. Both tanks (black and Gray) are rated same capacity. After an initial discharge of good flow drain really slows down. Would be good to know why. Any and all answers appreciated.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:42 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I've got the same problem. The last 5 to 10 gallons can take an hour, If anyone knows why or if there is a solution, what it is, I'd really like to know.

Jeff
'98 Alpine
36' FDS
Old 03-21-2007, 08:34 PM   #8

All those who find the gray tank draining too slowly should look at the tank venting system, which exits on the roof of your RV. If the vent is clogged or restricted in any way, the tank will not drain quickly (vacuum is building inside the tank).

Yes, the gray tank only has a 1-1/2" drain pipe compared to the black tank, but you aren't draining any solids out of the gray tank. Both of my tanks are the same size, and both drain in about the same amount of time.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:17 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I hve been told, and I have learned, that sometimes when we have left the gray water dump open while camped with a sewer hooked up, that the "solids" (pasta, peelings, bits of other food) have a tendency to lay on the bottom of the tank, and slowly build up to where there is a sort of blockage. I've never been inside to look, but I'm presently in the same ball game as you all are. My neighbor, yesterday, while we were at Perry, says he always adds a can of Rid-X to his gray and black water holding tanks. I'm trying a gallon of vinegar (dissolves lime and other build-ups) to the gray tank. I'll keep watching, and when I get some personal knowledge of the results, I'll be glad to inform everyone.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:32 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J.S.Eddy:
...when we have left the gray water dump open while camped with a sewer hooked up, that the "solids" (pasta, peelings, bits of other food) have a tendency to lay on the bottom of the tank, and slowly build up to where there is a sort of blockage... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Take note: even though you connect your sewer hose to the sewer when you first set up, keep the valves closed on the black and gray tanks until they are at least 1/2 to 3/4 full. Then, when you empty the tanks the solids will be washed out. Empty the black first, when the gray. This flushes our your sewer hose. Close the valves until you need to dump again.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #11

We have had similar problems in our new (to us) 2005 Tioga 31K (kitchen slide). We had always put our coffee grounds into the gray water tank in our old 1994 Tioga and never had a problem. I actually think the coffee grounds helped scour the inside of the tank as we drove. Now the tank in the new rig balks at dumping. I tried pushing a hose up the dump valve to try clearing it but to no avail. Last time we did not put coffee grounds down the drain and it dumped fine. Now I am nervous as I hate paying to dump and then not being able to!

The other problem we are having is very slow draining from the kitchen sink. We were told by the repair facility that worked on the gray water problem that the kitchen sink could not be used with the slide in. Evidently a design flaw causes the drain hose to kink when the slide is in. When we opened the slide the sink drained properly. This is very inconvenient and sounds a little fishy.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:09 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
I believe the sink drain is partially made up of a flexible hose(out of sight of "under the sink". It is kinking someplace when the slide is in. Depending on how the kitchen is laid out, take out the kitchen drawers and open cabinets to gain access to the plumbing. "See if you can see the drain hose" and then determine if there is a kink. One report in an Alpine coach was that it kinks on a electrical junction box, but I have not experienced it yet, will check when I get it home tonight.

Another issue is venting. If one of the drain baskets are pushed down into the sink drain, it creates a vacuum and won't allow the opposite sink to drain well; it will drain, just not as fast if both baskets are loose in the drain. This is also a venting issue, and has been present in all the RV's I have owned. The trap has something to do with it as well, because it's worse on one side than the other assuming dual sinks in the kitchen.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #13

You all have it all wrong. Sory but I have been working on these things a long time. When they cut the holes in the tank about 50% of the time they will leave the cutouts in the tank if they fall in. The fix is to empty the tank remove the valve assy and fish out the cut out.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:31 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
That it could be as well. I was commenting on his sink draining into his GW tank. I don't have a clue why his GW tank won't drain as fast as the black water tank.

Hmmm, you mean, that the highly technical workers who put these RV's together don't do a quality job??? Now don't that beat all, who would have thought that? I never did, as I have not had any problems with my coach, except no hot water in the Hydro Heat system since we purchased it, the front air bags don't dump, I might have some bad batteries because the dealer does not know to check the water level periodically, and fill them, and I know there are a few more things I have not discouvered yet, but those must be my fault, because, the RVIA swears up and down, if that sticker is on the unit, it's a top notch quality well made unit and the dealer will work till the cows jump over the moon to make it right, now that is what every one of them has told me, who am I to argue!!!!!!!!!!