Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerstel View Post
Harold,

After looking at the photo below, I would guess that the easiest way would be to unbolt the 2 slide valves (with tanks empty) and use some sort of hook on a flexible shaft to fish around in the tank.
Yep. I agree. That and the water flush. I get home in another 4 weeks. I will see what I can do and pass along the outcome, findings, etc.

Harold

NorCal C&H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Why would a grey or black tank roof vent work fine and then need to be replaced? Unless there is some obstruction in the vent. Just curious

If the grey or black tank dumped tooooo quickly, couldn't that blow off the sewer drain on the far end or cause a backup or backup pressure? Couldn't is also cause high vacuum in the tank?

Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #17

My gray drains fast enough to push the sewer flex pipe off the connection if it isn't properly snugged down. But it slows way down & runs seemingly forever once the tank level drops below the top of the outfall pipe. I believe the slow drain part is a combination of the flat-bottom tank simply taking a while to gravity drain, and perhaps that flat bottom stretching down when full, and the bottom slowly springing back. Maybe a support block in the middle would eliminate that action?
Old 03-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Dale,

Your photo in #9 above looks like the solution to a problem that I've thought about fixing (pump excess gray water into the under-utilized black tank)!

Two questions:

1. What's the source of the gray water? Do you use the output of the slide valve where we all hook up our "sewer hoses"? Or do you have a permanent connection?

2. How do you do the "pumping"?

Thanks!

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Mike's,

I am afraid that you can't do just like mine, the SE's and Apex's have different holding tanks. Mine had an extra fitting on each tank. See here.

DG's folly that has been handy

P.S. I should have mentioned, the photo of the tank drains that I posted earlier in this post, is the earlier tanks, not like mine.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for that link Dale, I missed that post last year. I'll have to check for any extra fittings. By the way, ours isn't an Apex.

Cheers!

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:28 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Mike's,

I stated that wrong. SE's and Apex's have the same tanks and they are different than all of the earlier coaches.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #22

I'm guessing a 36" snout on a boroscope would give you a good look around inside the tank, and could be shoved up the sewer connection at an angle to head into the gray pipe/tank (i.e. probably wouldn't need to take the valves off for access, just slide open the gray valve). A 48" would probably be nicer, but if there is something sucking up against the outfall it should land near the outfall when the tank is drained, and 36" oughta get it. Gotta have one w/remote illumination, unless the problem is those self-illuminating jellyfish growing in there in which case the fading light from their decaying bodies should be enough light to figure the situation out.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
, unless the problem is those self-illuminating jellyfish growing in there in which case the fading light from their decaying bodies should be enough light to figure the situation out.
After reading EM's message I considered dropping by my local pet store and picking up a couple of piranaha fish. If I put them down the sink maybe they will clear out WHATEVER'S blocking the drain.

When we get home in a few weeks I intend to pull the drain pipe and see what I can "fish" out (pun intended).

Harold
Old 03-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #24

Here's a posibilty, when we got our coach I had the same problem and I took off the drain valves and found a piece of plastic in the drain line. It seems that the installers at WRV would cut the holes for the connections in the tanks and let the plastic holes fall into the tanks. They work there way down to the valves and sit there. Sometimes the drain is ok, sometimes slow and sometimes blocked. Take your Valves off, feel up in the line and see if you can pull out the round plastic pieces. Problem solved.

Fulltimers
Kent and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #25

Harold, I have the same problem with our gray tank. Okay for a little bit and then slows down. I found that if you close the slide valve and pickup your drain hose and let it empty into the sewage pipe and then re-open the valve. You may have to do this a couple of times depending on how full your tank is. Usually it only takes one time with ours. That has taken care of mine since we bought it in 2005. Sure beats taking all that stuff apart. Worth a try.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I promised an update on the slow grey water drain after I got home and had a chance to look into it further....Here are my findings;

1) As stated earlier the grey water tank vent is on the drivers side - I confirmed its presence.
2) I removed the grey water drump valve and pipe then flushed copious amounts of water through the tank with the coach sitting with front and drivers side low so the tank valve was at lowest point and found NO DEBRIS. I was able to reach up inside the tank and found nothing.
3) By removing the passenger side tank compartment acess door I saw that the tank is supported on both ends and has a steel support running lengthwise down the center of the tank - so no drooping bottom.

I have now come to the conclusion that the slow drain is probably due to insufficient pressure head and that's just the way it is - so I guess unless someone out there comes up with a solution I will try to learn to live with the slow grey water drain ... Carroll (among others) keep telling me that I need to learn some patience.

Harold