Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #1

Need glides for Smart Beds I have one Smart Bed that is sliding in and out uneven, one side starts before the other. I checked the slide rails to see if they might need some lube, and found that the supports for the rails were worn. The brackets, that support the Smart Bed slide rails, have an interior "bushing" that acts as a glide for the rail to slide thru. On one of my supports the bushing is worn thru and the rail is starting to rub against metal. Does any one know who made the Smart Bed slide rails or where I might get new brackets?
Thanks,
Lyle
Datastorm #3481
Lyle & Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #2

Need glides for Smart Beds I have one Smart Bed that is sliding in and out uneven, one side starts before the other. I checked the slide rails to see if they might need some lube, and found that the supports for the rails were worn. The brackets, that support the Smart Bed slide rails, have an interior "bushing" that acts as a glide for the rail to slide thru. On one of my supports the bushing is worn thru and the rail is starting to rub against metal. Does any one know who made the Smart Bed slide rails or where I might get new brackets?
Thanks,
Lyle
Datastorm #3481
Old 11-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #3

I belive wrv made them with help from hwh. For the guides you can go to a plastic manufactuor and buy a piece of nylon. It is the same as main slide blocks and bedroom blocks. Once you get the material you can fab the blocks.
midflalpinetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:28 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Also check with a plastic supplier for sheets of a material called Acetyl plastic. It properties include lubricant impregnated into material. Had the potential to be highly toxic when manufactured because of some gassing.

Nylon reinforced with glass fibers might also be a choice since it lasts longer.

Hubs in 4X4 units made by Warn industries used a 30% glass addition to the nylon for the 4X4 parts we assembled when I worked in that industry. Steel/Brass galled when sand got into the assemblies.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:40 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
These "bushings" are not made of sheet or blocks, they look to be molded or machined, inset into a metal bracket. The material looks like nylon or Teflon. They are kind of C shaped. Hopefully Lyle has found some of the parts that were bought at WRV's auction and can find these parts.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #6

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Dale did hit it on the head. I have a request in to confirm the part and then hopefully buy some. I'll keep you posted because I know that there are others out there with smart beds that may cause trouble at some future date.
Lyle
Datastorm #3481
Old 11-27-2008, 05:14 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
My best guess would be HWH, See this.

HWH Dual Direction Hydraulic Storage Slide Out

Just used with out the duel direction, due to the chassis rails interfering with the bidirectional movement with high loads.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Dale,

Hmmmm, I heard Ron sold the "smartbed" patient to his brother, who I think lives in florida. At any rate, I wonder if he (brother) licensed HWH to improve and market the smartbed idea. Nice it can go either way, and the capacity has been raised from 750 to 1000 lbs.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:32 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Monty,

It looks to me like WRV took HWH's system and modified it to their use and then patented that design. WRV uses half trays to allow for use of the taller area between the rails and the side of the coach. Also the coach "door" is attached to the tray instead of hinged and both sides to be accessible at the same time.

I think that the HWH unit at 1000 lbs load limit is actually lower than ours. Our two trays cover the same area as their one and have a total weight limit of 1500 lbs. Their tray, being the width of the coach and only sliding out part way, allows for much sturdier connection to the coach body than ours. Ours slide out far enough to allow access to the total tray, even under the slide, this requires a stronger connection to the coach body.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:03 AM   #10

Well after long talks with HWH we have determined that the "bushing" is not HWH and they believe that it is a WRV item. I am checking on a supplier and will let you know soon.
Lyle
Datastorm #3481
Old 12-03-2008, 12:32 PM   #11

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">we have determined that the "bushing" is not HWH </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back in late 2005, Ron Doyle was showing me the Smart-Beds on an Apex on the line and, as I recall, he said the slides were made in Germany.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote