Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Hello,
One Smart Bed switch seems to have erratic operation, sometimes it goes in, sometimes it just stops right where it is, put out, it works, push in again, it goes in for a bit, then stops. How do you access the switch, to clean/lubricate it, etc? Don't want to scratch the coach in taking it apart. Seems to me I read another post about these things, but cannot remember which one it was.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Hello,
One Smart Bed switch seems to have erratic operation, sometimes it goes in, sometimes it just stops right where it is, put out, it works, push in again, it goes in for a bit, then stops. How do you access the switch, to clean/lubricate it, etc? Don't want to scratch the coach in taking it apart. Seems to me I read another post about these things, but cannot remember which one it was.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:54 PM   #3

Old- I'm not sure how long your coach was on a dealer lot and if it got the pad switches on the coach exterior swapped out for the new design. Many Apex'ers had failures w/the original switches. Looked cool, but not durable.

Maybe some other Apex'er here knows where to buy the new switch pads??????
Old 06-10-2008, 05:28 AM   #4

If you have the old style switches they won't work (for long). I would also like to know who manufactured the new ones. If Mark is monitoring maybe he knows. My next choice was to use Trim Tab switches from Lenco. Would need help with the plug configuration. I have the new ones and working fine. When they failed I just used the switches in the bay

Jim 06 Apex
Old 06-10-2008, 08:07 AM   #5

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
I find that the new keypad switches are not much more reliable than the old confuguration. I have had two failures already.

An expensive alternative is to eliminate the *#^%#% keypads, fiberglass in the holes and paint. Then install new passenger side switches in the entry way like the later model coaches. Production #1 Apex (Lyle & Cath Fuller) has great big keypads surrounded by metal trim. NO FAILUES EVER!
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:17 AM   #6

"...old confuguration..."

Couldn't have said it better myself. Our coach has rocker switches under the awning switches by entry door for the PS beds, and rocker switches in the utility bay for the DS beds. Works well, simple. The wiring is a wee bit mysterious as the rockers have two wires per function, total of 6 per switch, but that could be figured out. I'd say Basil's suggestion is excellent for Apex'rs having trouble w/the pad switches. And if you are not into body work, leave the pads & wire around them to the new switches.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Where to get the new switchs that are a replacement for the pad ones? Assuming, the new switches in the entry and bay, are on coaches newer than 2007, with a Build date of June 06.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Oh, and before I wrech my sidewalls, how do you access the wires, etc, remove the switch, and replace them so it looks nice please.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:51 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
If I am reading these posts correctly, you guys are talking about having the smart bed switches inside the coach.

I frequently need to be able to watch the smart beds when they are going out, to make sure they don't hit anything.

Does this mean it takes two people to use the smart beds?
big jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:03 AM   #10

Jim- If you are looking for the last milimeter, you may need to take a few steps to check before proceeding, but generally I can gauge the proximity of the opening bed from the switch location. For PS beds I stand outside coach w/hand thru door pushing switch; for DS its at the utility bay watching bed as it opens.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:10 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Hello,
Talked to the dealer today, they are going to try to find the switches while they have the coach to fix the stove and Hydro Hot. I have fixed the Silverleaf myself, am in the process of re-doing the temp sensor (crappy design by WRV)and once that is done, it on to the GenSet Junction Box. Did the Transfer Switch wires already, but should do the Surge Gurad junction boxes or connections, need to find that one. We are going camping this weekend, so I will finish some of those while we are there. Monday it's to the dealer and then we drive toad home. They get it for two weeks, wish I had never seen this thing for all the trouble it has been so far. Makes me want to become certified as a RV Tech in my second career.