Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #1

Smart Beds Problem

My smart Bed refuse to operate unless engine is running. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2014, 08:33 AM   #2

Is this a new condition or has it always been like that?
What year & model rig?

Old 06-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #3

This just started a couple of week ago. One of the beds extends itself a inch or two randomly. it is a real mystery.I have a 2008 Alpine LE series. Forty foot
Old 06-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
BobnFreda, maybe check the voltage of your chassis batteries. Low voltage was the reason my Smartbeds wouldn't operate. How old are your chassis batteries?

One of my beds is creeping open and inch or two too. It's the one on the drivers side next to the wet bay. I'll be checking back for responses. This has been on my mind (the creeping smartbed).
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #5

Smart Beds

The chassis batteries are only a year old maybe I will clean the terminals and see if that help. thank for the reminder.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #6

Any one know where I can find a manual on the SMART BED OPERATION mine have quite completely now. HELP!!!
Old 06-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Something to try if you've not done this already, is to do a search on this forum on Smart Bed operation. Also try Apex issues and a combination of the two. There is a LOT of info on various smartbed issues on this forum.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:41 PM   #8

So do you have hydraulics for your slides and jacks? If your HWH system has tripped you will need to reset the system to get hydraulics workings again. The only time I have ever had any problems with my smart beds it was because the HWH system was not working properly due to low battery voltage.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #9

The creeping smart bed or slide is usually a slight leak in the hydraulics. Either a leak at a fitting or hose, or a leak past the needle valve. If you can't find a drip leak, then it's probably the solenoid valve, which will either be the needle seating not quite perfectly or a cracked o-ring on the nose of the valve assembly.
Maybe at the Portland FMCA pre-rally we can do a live needle valve rehab demonstration.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:31 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
That would be sweet, EMike.
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:01 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smart beds and electric toilets....Hmmm.

Think I'll just stick to the good old fashioned things. I can remember as a kid outhouses and an ice box before we got a refrigerator.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
OK - Smart beds, did you turn on the switch that controls the beds in the house? If so, and using the outside switch on the side of the coach (NOT RPLACED TYPE), then those switches are garbage, and fail quite often right after 6 months or so. On the HWH panel in the HWH bay is a master switch. There are two switches in there which control the smart beds on that side of the coach, and usually in the services bay on the drivers side of the coach is another pair which control the beds on that side. If using those switches, the master switch needs to be on. Remember to turn that master switch off, when you are done. There is a link someplace on this forum of a member who changed his outside switches with "marine type" which are waterproof, but I have not done it because I was afraid of going all the way through the sidewall of the coach when removing and enlarging the original switches location. The switch inside should be off when using the master switch in the HWH bay. Let us all know if this works for you. I have been using my bays this way for 5 years, sort of a pain in the back side, but it works fine doing it this way.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:06 AM   #13

I can't believe it all of a sudden the smart beds began to work. All I did was move some wires around to check the fuses. For today the smart beds are working.

thanks everyone for your help. Have a great day.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Ok, you are being told something! There is a fuse holder/connection block in the HWH bay, all my crimp on connectors were the wrong size and coming lose. So removing each "one at a time" I replaced the connectors and put dielectric grease on each connection, which prevented me from having electrical issues on the HWH system. Suggest if you feel comfortable you do the same.