Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #1

Smart tire

Has anyone upgraded (actually downgraded) their Silverleaf Smart Tire to Pressure Pro? I am getting new front tires and I have a weak sensor. They are going on 8 years. I need a total 14 sensors. $84*14= $1176. Considering the supply is dwindling at Dickman Tire. I’m not even sure I can get new sensors for my PU truck. I was considering pulling my CL400 monitor out and sending it in for reprograming. It would cost a bit less: 10 sensors *50=500+450=950 for sensors, reprograming, adapters and antennas.

One consideration is buying the PP monitor and 2 sensors $350 and installing them on the front. Then I could compare pressure between the Smart Tire and the PP to see how they compare. PP and Silferleaf will display temp but won’t set an alarm off. Also the temp is from the valve stem so it will read differently but should give some idea of what the temp change is.

It is only a matter of time before no Smart Tire sensor are available.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I never had smarrt-tire but do have pressure pro w/silverleaf and overall am pretty happy with it. You are correct there is no audible alarm. The temperture readings are kinda flaky too: 30/60/90... degrees and nothing in between. Actual pressure readings seem to be incredibly accurate. I bought a "repeater" to pick up my toad, but it may not have been necessary. Most of the time it even picks up the toad's spare tire pressure without the repeater. Screwing on the sensors without causing a slow leak can be tricky. Be sure the "o" ring inside the sensor is there, centered and seated propery. Carrying a couple of extras can be a help. The display is distinct and will automatically switch from any other screen to the pressure pro display screen if you have a low or high tire. That catches my perrifial(sp) vision and is the next best thing to an audible alarm.
Also, I know that the smart-tire guy at Les Schwab in Junction City had some parts/batteries last Summer when I was up there. Good Luck, Matt
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne R View Post
Has anyone upgraded (actually downgraded) their Silverleaf Smart Tire to Pressure Pro?
I don't think SilverLeaf has anything to do with SmarTire. It's a completely different company.

Quote:
About SmarTire

SmarTire® and SmartWave® technology is brought to you by Bendix CVS Canada Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Bendix Commercial Vehicle Systems LLC. The new Tire Pressure Monitoring Group of Bendix Commercial Vehicle Systems LLC develops technologically advanced tire pressure and temperature monitoring systems for the transportation and passenger vehicle industries. Founded over 19 years ago, the group is focused on designing, manufacturing and distributing innovative wireless products for primarily commercial trucks, industrial vehicles, buses and recreational vehicles. With industry leading innovation, unsurpassed technological experience and a flexible customer oriented market approach, we are expertly positioned to improve vehicle safety and operational efficiency for a global market.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #4

Mr D,

Before Smart Tire was sold to Bendix they had a great system for autos and RV's. When the company was sold to Bendix they dropped that part of the market. Dickman tire in Oregon still has some sensors but the supply is limited.
Silverleaf VMS monitors were capable of displaying Smart Tire Data much better than the Smart Tire monitor. Silverleaf now supports Pressure Pro via a software upgrade and an interface module.

I want to retain my VMS CL 400 Color diagnostic monitor and was asking Alpine owners that have The VMS Silverleaf monitor and Smart Tire if they had made the swap. Silverleaf monitors were OEM with smart Tire in many Alpines.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #5

Wayne- I was told in Quartzsite that Les Schwab in Eugene has replacement sensors matching the SmartTire sensors exactly. they are apparently now sold for use in trucks. somebody ordered one & it was an exact match. L.S. knows the RV equivalent.
My front serial numbers are 101-1-5-00xxxxx. I'm guessing the first 5 digits cover the model#, but that's a guess.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #6

Thanks Emike, with further research on Bob Dickman Tire’s website. I found a message that Bendix is supplying them with sensors. http://www.dickmantires.com/SmarTire/smarTire_discontinue.html .

200.0171 -$84 Low pressure
101.1110 -$79 High pressure
201.0007- $84 High pressure on all the time.

I am going to call and order 2 for my new tires. I have been looking at the Michelin XZA2 295 80r oddly the 315 80r is $40 less per tire and J rated. Looks like they will fit on the front.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #7

Wayne- check out the X-Coach tire, also available on the FMCA Advantage program, same carcass as the XZA but w/a different tread pattern for coaches to produce a quiet ride. I did two on the front and the ride is substantially quieter & smoother than w/the Goodyear G670's I took off. Nice upgrade. Couldn't tell ya if they're that much different than the XZAs.