Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #1

Smart Wheel

Well, it looks like I have lucked out. For the last couple of years I have had an intermittent issue with my smart wheel. Every once in a while my wipers would go on all by themselves; my horn would also honk. Also my speed control would turn off once in a while. Last week the wipers started just turning on when I was headed out on a short trip and the horn would not work if I hit the horn rocker. I pulled the wiper fuse. Yesterday I started my trouble shooting. First I verified that by pushing the buttons for the wipers, they would not work and the horn did not work. So, first I removed the driver seat and got under my dash. As I was under there, the wipers wiped. Loose wire or ? Decided to pull the fuse again. The control box was zip tied to a connector bundle. Took it down. Hey, there is another control box bolted to the firewall. Strange. Got the first disconnected and then the one on the firewall. Plugged that one in, put the fuse in and the functions I could check in my driveway all worked properly. Yay. Since it was going to get fairly cool here in the AM (got to around 25F-27F) I wanted to try it when cold, since I had always been concerned about it being a slip ring issue. Everything worked great in the morning a couple of times. So I put everything back to normal and it will be a while for me to do a road test. I have another trailer in my driveway at this time and there are some other things I am working on doing on the motorhome.

So, why was there another controller? My guess is that when it was being built, the controller was bolted to the firewall, but not connected. Who ever found that it was not connected found it easier to not deal with the tight space and just found another controller and zip tied it. The dates on the controllers were Oct 2000 (the zip tied one) and Aug 2000 for the one mounted to the firewall.

I will follow up some time in the first of the year after I have some time on it to know that things are OK.

Just thought I would share.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2016, 06:12 PM   #2

That's a good 'un right there! Previous posts on my 2001 problem with wipers, horn, lights, solved finally by sending off both key pads on wheel, the circuit board mounted on back side of horn bar, and the master controller on the firewall. Sent them to M&M Electronics in Ohio City, OH, found problems were in the circuit board under the horn bar. $250 later, works like a charm. No idea why you had 2 master controllers unless there may have been an intermittent problem with the one on firewall - have read that some Alpines get the master controller wet with windshield leaks. I agree with the PITA dismounting the controller, finally took out the driver seat after almost getting hung up under there a couple of times! Hold your breath, maybe yours is fixed.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #3

Time will tell if I lucked out.

My first thought was that the one on the firewall might have had a problem and that the second was a replacement. I have my fingers crossed.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #4

Have had the coach out a few times and all of my smart wheel functions work as they should. So it was the controller and not the slip ring at the steering wheel. Nice no cost fix for me.