Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:51 PM   #1

Cool Smart Wheel Power

I have been working on the Smart Wheel in our 40fdts for awhile without success. It lost all power while we were on our last trip and I have been trying various solutions and not achieving much luck.

I visited VIP and downloaded their information and followed their steps until I came to the 209 controller. I opted for a new controller, which meant that the original 209 has been replaced by the newer 210 controller. After growing another right limb to access this controller located to the left of the driver, then on the backside of the dash, it was replaced. Restored power and tested.......same symptoms, everything dead. No horn, no wipers, and no controlling the exterior coach lights.

I am now convinced that there must be a separate power source to the Smart Wheel. I have located fuses to the horn, the wipers and exterior lighting, and have no power leading to the fuses for the horn or wipers. Since each of these are fed to the Smart Wheel via a common cable, there must be another contactor feeding these fuses. Is there a relay located before the fuses. I cannot locate a wiring diagram of the chassis wiring for the fuse blocks located ahead of the passenger seat. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the fuse blocks and dash wiring? It looks as though the fuse blocks have several relays also located within the block. However, there is no way to test them for operation, and there is no way to tell where each one goes or controls. Western RV must have had a wiring diagram of wiring of the fuse blocks and dash.

Thanks for any assistance that anyone can provide.

David Alexander

Dave&Kacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2016, 08:33 PM   #2

The ACA tech library should have a copy of the schematics--on the 03, all of the fuses for the automotive functions are on the firewall, under the dash, in front of the passenger seat. I recently had trouble with the CC function on the Smart Wheel--ended up taking the button pads on the wheel apart [screws behind wheel] and cleaning the multi-pin connectors.....keep us posted

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Dave,

I don't have a direct answer to your problem but I have a set of printed chassis drawings I purchased from Engineering Mike. Hopefully, the documents on the ACA website will be of adequate help.

I have been looking at the diagram associated with the Smart Wheel. There are several micro-relays associated with the controller. You may have one or more bad relays. Or, they are usually very small plug-in style black boxes and can jar loose over time. You need to find those relays which are similar to the ones inside the black boxes in front of the passenger seat. I'm also seeing what appears to be an inline fuse on what appears to be the power connection coming from/to one of those micro-relays. The fuse (if it is a fuse) is not identified on the diagram. Look for a small auto micro fuse around the micro-relays once you find those.

I wish I could be of more help but keep digging ... you may find a loose relay or one that is not plugged in all the way. A similar situation occurred to me with the HWH system when I discovered a micro-relay about to fall out after opening one of those black boxes.

Good luck and let us know what you ultimately find.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Dave,

The schematic I'm looking at is on the website titled "Chassis Schematic 5.00 Sht1of4". The Smart Wheel is on the upper left and controller with micro-relays is on the lower right.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #5

Dave it sounds like it is the CLOCK SPRING. It is located under the center of the steering wheel. I am having mine replaced one day this week. Google it for more information.
Lonny
Old 04-03-2016, 09:38 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Dave,

Forget my previous post. I think the diagram is actually depicting switches on the Smart Wheel associated with various functions. It's confusing for the Smart Wheel to be pictured up above and yet the functional switches appear with the controller even though they're in the Smart Wheel!?

I think I did find your source. I traced it to the "Inst Pnl" fuse (15 - Amp?) located in the black box labeled "Ignition VEC" in front of the passenger seat. If that fuse is good, make sure you're getting 12V+ to that entire black box.

There is a silver solenoid labeled "ACCESSORY" that's towards the bottom middle area in front of the passenger seat. I believe it actually turns on that black box of relays & fuses when the key is in Accessory or Ignition. Make sure it's turning on. It will get pretty warm to touch after just a few minutes.

Tags
power