Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #15
Jeff and Cheryl,

For the jacks, room slide extensions, and (for the Apex) the Smart Beds, the HWH hydraulic system in the small compartment behind the PS front tire is used. Both WRV technicians and HWH technicians stated to me directly that you can use the HWH branded hydraulic fluid in the HWH system, EVEN THOUGH the placard by this system states "Chevron Rykon Premium MV". Either the Chevron fluid or the HWH fluid is preferred over other hydraulic fluids mainly because it is clear and non-staining (if there is a leak on the carpet).

For the Hydromax brake booster, the radiator fan, and the power steering assist, the hydraulic fluid is in a very large cylinder in the PS of the engine compartment. This is a different hydraulic fluid and WRV changed its recommendations for this several times over the years.

See this link for a discussion of these fluids and hydraulic systems (post #14 for my comments):

Hydralic Oil - Pwr Steering/Brakes

Dale & Karin
2006 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDTS
Watercolor Artist: http://www.cindydaunis.com/
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #16
Alpine Owners Club
Dale 777, Thank-you. This was info I had inferred from the multiple threads on this topic over the years. My concern has to do with newer owners that might put the wrong type of fulid in one system or the other, believing that they take the same fluid.

'99 Alpine Coach
Jeff and Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:10 PM   #17
Alpine Owners Club

We had the hydraulic actuator itself leaking. Turned out when WRV installed it, some kind hearted soul use a pair of channel locks on the turned polished surface scuffing it up some and it then wore out the seal at the end of the shaft, causing the leak.

HWH did a good faith repair on the parts; I had to pay diagnostic labor with Cummins Coach Care. I should have bitched about that because I told them what it was, and the tech could see it leaking out the bottom of the coach. They cleaned it up nice when they were finished.

So it takes a little time, remove the bolt holding it to the smarbed. Then run the SB and see if it does not leak right around the end of the shaft and leave a few drops. My total loss was maybe 1 quart.
Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:46 PM   #18
Alpine Owners Club
Old Rv'er: Thanks for your input. Did exactly as you did watching for leaks while extending and retracting the smart beds. I was in a Cummins shop and the senior tech who discovered the leak watched carefully with the hydaulics exposed in the smart beds as I moved both PS and DS smart beds in and out. He saw no drips or drops. I'm now monitoring in all kinds of hot weather to see if the leak reappears and if so where. The technician estimated that no more than a cup or two could have caused the leak he observed. ray

robbyray is offline   Reply With Quote