Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-19-2006, 01:21 PM   #1

I'm interested in a Smartire system installation for my '05 36MDDS and the only retailer I'm aware of in the So.Cal/L.A. area is Camping World in La MIrada.

I called them to ask about pricing and installation, and during the disussion I learned that they don't have conventional tire balancing equipment to re-balance your tires after installation. They use some kind of a powder in the tire which they insist is self-balancing. The salesman I spoke with said tire balancing equipment is very expensive and they don't have any! Anybody ever heard of such a thing? Is it any good? Sounds peculiar to me, and I'd hate to spend the money for an installation and then have to go to a truck shop and pay to have the tires removed and properly balanced.

Are there any other So. California sellers of the system with convential tire balancing?

Thanks, Rick Coleman

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2006, 01:21 PM   #2

I'm interested in a Smartire system installation for my '05 36MDDS and the only retailer I'm aware of in the So.Cal/L.A. area is Camping World in La MIrada.

I called them to ask about pricing and installation, and during the disussion I learned that they don't have conventional tire balancing equipment to re-balance your tires after installation. They use some kind of a powder in the tire which they insist is self-balancing. The salesman I spoke with said tire balancing equipment is very expensive and they don't have any! Anybody ever heard of such a thing? Is it any good? Sounds peculiar to me, and I'd hate to spend the money for an installation and then have to go to a truck shop and pay to have the tires removed and properly balanced.

Are there any other So. California sellers of the system with convential tire balancing?

Thanks, Rick Coleman

Old 08-20-2006, 07:01 PM   #3

Rick,
I don't know about southern Cal but if you are into making a trip up to Yakima, say to visit WRV the Les Schwab tire center in Yakima knows smart tire inside and out. We went there to have the toad hooked up and they did it wonderfully. They replaced 6 sending units until it all worked perfectly. They also know how to re-program the Silverleaf system to monitor the toad tires also. We have heard that the Les Schwab dealer in Junction City, OR does an equally good job.
Lyle and Cath
Apex 1
Datastorm #3481
Lyle & Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:32 AM   #4

This is our experience with Camping World installing a SmarTire system. Of course, all Camping Worlds would not be alike.

We bought an 06 from LaMesa RV in Tampa (thankfully no longer selling Alpines) and asked for the SmarTire option. LaMesa ordered the sensors, etc. from WRV. We picked up the coach and came home to SC before the system arrived. We asked WRV if we could have Camping World install it. WRV agreed. (CW had started handling the SmarTire system that week). It has never worked right since day one. One sensor fell off in the tire. Silverleaf screen kept showing "blown" sensors. We have had three replaced, and now two more show they are "out." WRV has paid for three sensors ($237 per sensor and installation), but both WRV and CW agreed we should try something else.

A SmarTire rep from Detroit flew to CW. We were asked to bring our coach over so he could look at it and another coach (a Country Coach that also had the Silverleaf system). Supposedly, the rep could not figure out what was happening in our coach.

After calls to Silverleaf and SmarTire, it was suggested we be at the Charlotte Rally, and a Silverleaf tech would look at our system. He did and said we "probably" need a new SmarTire receiver and some reprogramming done.

Now, get this!! We also talked with the SmarTire rep at the booth at the Rally. He said that "he" was the person who came to the CW in Spartanburg, SC, but he did NOT look at our coach. He said he looked at a Country Coach and met the owners and helped train techs in installation of two new systems, but he did NOT look at an Alpine coach.

Further, he said that, as companies, SmarTire and Silverleaf have no working relationship--that Silverleaf took it upon themselves to intergrate SmarTire system into Silverleaf (of course, SmarTire does sell their own monitors). When we said that it was obvious that they did not have a good relationship, he emphatically said, we have NO relationship.

We had planned to come west as far as Boise, ID, this Fall, so we plan to come on over to either Washington or Oregon and have the Les Schwab dealer look at it, as has been recommended in this forum.

Beverly and Buddy
06 36' FD
Old 08-21-2006, 12:41 PM   #5

I guess the good news (?) is that my coach doesn't have a Silverleaf system, so I would be using a Smartire monitor. Actually, I've heard great things about Smartire and Silverleaf, but not at the same time!

Thanks, Rick Coleman
Old 08-21-2006, 02:58 PM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Smarttire intefaces with the Triptek 2520 as well....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:48 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Rick,

The powder that Camping World uses to balance the tires is called Equal. Find out more at: http://www.imiproducts.com/equal/index.aspx

Special valve stems need to be used to prevent loss of air. I have never inquired about equal but do have customers who install it. I'll ask a few questions. One other thing, I'd inquire with Smart Tire about compatability with Equal. I'd assume it would be ok, but you know what they say about assuming .

FWIW, I balance mine the old fashioned way with lead weights. But a good balancer does cost upwards of $10K.

See you in Paso Robles
Old 08-22-2006, 03:11 PM   #8

Wouldn't you think Camping World could afford a proper balancer?
Old 08-22-2006, 03:40 PM   #9

Having CW's highly refined, exhaustively trained technicians finessing the vital components of our high dollar rolling stock reminds me of when NASA sent monkeys into space.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:35 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
EM, you are so brutal. I did see a monkey wrench in a tech's tool box

Rick, I would check with Smart Tire and have them send you to a tire dealer who installs their system. If Camping World doesn't have a tire balancer for med truck, they must do very little volume. I wouldn't want to stick around and watch a tech swinging a hammer at a nice Alcoa .
Old 08-22-2006, 06:41 PM   #11

Silverleaf does not use Smartire any more but are very pleased with the new product they are using. Can't tell you what it is though. Do know that Schwab still will work on, fix and I believe install Smartire with a Silverleaf. Again Yakima I know and they tell me that Coburg is also good.
Lyle & Cath
Apex 1
Datastorm #3481
Lyle & Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:26 AM   #12

Why would anyone put "powder" in their tires?
Centramatics work very well as a constant balancer, never have to rebalance and they are transferable.
We just had SmartTire put on our Jeep, working with our Silverleaf, no problem. We had Les Schwab in Yakima put them on. They are great to work with. Doug is very informative and knowledgable about the Silverleaf and SmartTire.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:50 PM   #13

I checked it out on their website. It looks like the answer. Is there any other balancing necessary?, or is this in addition to normal lead weights? Testimonials, anyone?

Thanks, Rick Coleman
Old 08-23-2006, 12:56 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
E&D Wilson
Truckers have been using Equal "powder" for years. Lots of reason for it, just another way to balance tires.

Best,

ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote