Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #43

Perry,

My ECM code is W90175.04. Cummins did not say whether they upgraded it or not, and I didn't ask because I did not think about it.

Do you know if this is the latest revision, or if I need to call Cummins to see if it is?

OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #44

Your last update on the ECM was 5-23-2005. There's been 12 updates since then.

Here's a text of the updates. It's a copy of an excell sheet. Not to good. Can't load an excell spread sheet on this forum.
Attached Files
File Type: txt W90175.txt (2.1 KB, 39 views)

Old 06-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #45

Perry,

Thanks for letting me know about the updates. Bases on what I saw in the copy, I don't see a relationship to my issue. I'll send you a PM and maybe you can e-mail me the Excel spreadsheet so I can look at it better. I have lots of experience with Excel.

Bill
Old 06-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #46

Perry, a little update on this. I had an ECM printout that was a 1 1/2 year old printout when I gave you the ECM code. Didn't bother to look at the date and I have several of these. The one I did a month ago at Cummins Yakima shows the ECM code as W90175.15 instead of the W90175.04 that I gave you previously, so Cummins must have updated the software when they checked it out.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #47

I don't know what to tell ya. I can't upload or e-mail you the Allison manual due to it's 20MB size.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:31 AM   #48

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
I don't know what to tell ya. I can't upload or e-mail you the Allison manual due to it's 20MB size.
Compress it (Zip) using Windows Explorer or put it in a free Dropbox account (dropbox.com) and send the link.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:43 AM   #49

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldForester View Post
After going through the previous discussions and threads on this topic I decided to start a new one. Our high idle, using the cruise control, has never worked. I didn't know I had one until several people pointed it out to me last winter. The coach idles at 700 rpm in all engine temperature conditions no matter what we do to it, short of holding our foot on the accelerator while it warms up, to keep it at 1000 rpm (which we have been doing). I have had several Alpiners try to help me make it work but it doesn't. I have traced the wiring on it as best I can and I come back to the cruise control switch on the SmartWheel, or at least some relationship between it and the Vansco system.

This week I had it in to Cummins Yakima for annual and 50,000 mile service, and chasing any potential engine/tranny issues that might exist that I didn't know about before it goes off the 5 year warranty, and I had them work on the high idle issue. Robby worked it till he was tired and couldn't find it, and then he had Mike Young work on it until he was tired of it and their conclusion was it was a problem in the SmartWheel. Mike said that WRV had a a number of these coaches with this issue and they all ended up back at the SmartWheel and they fixed them but, nobody here remembers the fix.

So my first question to the forum is has anybody else had this issue with the high idle working with the Cruise Control Switch in the SmartWheel, and if they had it fixed, what was the fix?

My second question is does anybody know of somebody in the west that can repair SmartWheel issues? I have no other SmartWheel issues other than this one, so I'm not anxious to create a bigger issue.

Thanks for you input to this issue --
Why are you idling it to "warm it up"? Cummins says to start it up, as soon as the oil pressure comes up you can drive it off but drive it easily till it warms up, do NOT idle for more than 5 min.
Same with shutting it down, usually just coming down an off ramp with low throttle to a stop is enough cool down time unless you just finished something like the Grapevine (and it's nothing like it used to be!!)
Are you trying to irritate your neighbors?

SmartWheel has a whole downloadable file on troubleshooting the unit. I printed it out and keep a copy in the MH
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:01 AM   #50

Alpine Owners Club
Mr. D,
A fast idle is a superior way to hasten the time it takes to bring the air up to full pressure. It also is recommended to speed up the idle if the coach is going to have to idle for more than a couple of minutes. Also, OF has has issues with his air pressure system that have been the devil itself to diagnose. This has been documented in other threads on this forum. In short, fast idle has a number of uses other than simply to warm up the engine.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #51

I use Winrar and Rapidshare.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #52

Alpine Owners Club
I may have new parts for the smartwheel if you need them.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #53

Alpine Owners Club
Mr D, read the manual for your engine, don't pay any attention to a tech from Cummins. Mine says completely different from your advice. Additionally, the advice from Jeff & Cheryl is correct, many times our parking brake won't release until our air pressure is up, plus our air bags need to inflate before it's safe to move the coach.

FWIW - ISL Owners Manual - Page 1-7 Starting of the ISL Engine says the following: "Idle the engine three to five minutes before operating with a load". That means to me, it sits for that time before I even idle out of the campground space.

Page 1-14 Caution - Do not idle for extended periods of time, excessive idle time can cause poor engine performance (washes down the lubricating oil from the cylinders). My comments - please note excessive idle is at the regular idle RPM (approximately 700 rpm) of the engine at rest - fast idle is 900-1000 RPMs and is higher than idle so it's not going to damage the engine any, this selection should be made if you are sitting in an area and not moving for more than 3 minutes, traffic does not count unless you are going to be stopped for a long time.

Shutdown - Page 1-19 allow the engine to idle 3 to 5 minutes before shutting it down after a full load operation. This allows adequate cool down of pistons, cylinders, bearings, and turbocharger components, (not said-exhaust components, intake components, etc).

As added information, Cummins tehcnicians and engineers have attended our ACA rallys, and repeatedly told us, let the engine reach 140 degrees before you move it under load, if that load is heaver than going slow out of a campground, intake and turbo damage can occur if that is not done, some of our owners have had exhaust manifold issues because they failed to warm up and cool down their engins properly.

Doing what you suggest would not allow the engine to cool off enough for those components to cool off correctly. So in this case you are incorrect in your statements. I have owned diesels for 22 years, and driven then longer than that, you always warm up and cool down a diesel engine or you will be buying another one long before its expected 250K-500K miles expected lifespan.