Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #1

Sofa

We have a full sized sofa and after 5 years, it's pretty well wearing through. We want to replace it. Is it just held down by a few bolts? Can one just unbolt the couch and remove it? It doesn't look like it would fit through the front door, but I have been told it would. We'd like to get a love seat and maybe put a table in. Has anyone removed their couch? Has anyone put in a loveseat? Any hints or gotchas? Does it really have to be bolted down?
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator67 View Post
We have a full sized sofa and after 5 years, it's pretty well wearing through. We want to replace it. Is it just held down by a few bolts? Can one just unbolt the couch and remove it? It doesn't look like it would fit through the front door, but I have been told it would. We'd like to get a love seat and maybe put a table in. Has anyone removed their couch? Has anyone put in a loveseat? Any hints or gotchas? Does it really have to be bolted down?
Have you considered simply having it reupholstered? If wear is the reason, maybe one of those companies that does auto reupolstery could repair in place?
Old 04-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #3

the couch in our 06 is secured with 4 lag bolts. our couch was not removed from the coach, but raised up on blocks and re-secured, this resulted in more storage and aised the couch for longer legs. i'm not any help on removing couch from coach.
jwinqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #4

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
I assume this is a "jack knife" couch. Some years ago, we had Flexsteel reupholster our couch under warranty on our 2003 38' coach. They unbolted the movable part and took it out the door. That left the ends and frame which must also fit the door. Measure.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #5

I think it is 4 or 6 bolts holding the couch in. Removal, I believe, is best through the dining room emergency exit (window).
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #6

If you get it unbolted and it doesn't fit out the door or window, you can use one of these to disassemble it and take the parts out the door:
Old 04-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #7

Definitely go for the dust collector option. It will make a lot less mess.
Possible EM will suggest how you are to re-assemble the new one after you get it back in the coach?
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #8

Some reassembly required
Old 04-16-2010, 07:06 PM   #9
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator67 View Post
Does it really have to be bolted down?
No, as long as you don't get in an accident and the sofa starts flying. If you can be certain this won't happen then don't bother bolting it down.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #10

We've had 3 different couches thru the door of our 98 DSDP. The slide/street side jack knife couch needed repair so we took it out and put it back in after repair. We didn't like the curb side j-sofa so out it came and replaced it with a jack knife couch built by DiscountVanTruck. The slide sofa is held in with 4 lag bolts. The curb side with 4 bolts with washers & nuts in the basement and wheelwell areas.
lonestarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:54 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
We took our curbside couch out our 26" door on our 36'.

I thought I'd have to take out a window, but the sides unbolted and it fit right out the door.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #12

The "folding" sofa bed/couch can easily be removed. First, unlatch the seat cushion and lift it sufficiently to lift and remove the front upholstered crosspiece on the bottom by lifting it off the front rail. Set it aside. Now remove the four lag bolts holding the couch to the floor. Next, slide the couch out some and then remove the four nuts on each end holding the arms onto the couch. Slide the arms out and set them aside. You now have a bare frame with the bottom and back cushions on it. If you release the bottom and fold it into the bed position, you can tip it up on end and (preferably 2 people) you can lift and move the couch to the entry area and carefully walk it out the door.

We've removed ours before using this approach and reinstalled it when we wanted to go back to the original configuration. You shouldn't have a problem.

When you put it back in, just reverse the process. If you use some tape, or other marking method on the holes where it fastens to the floor, it will make it easier to reinstall.
johnwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:26 AM   #13

My approach would have made a better movie
Old 04-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Boy am I glad KIX will never be in an accident. However, an unbolted couch traveling even a few miles per hour will take your head right off. The upside is: you'll never know what happened and you won't have to hear me say "told-you-so".

It's the same reason I tether my dining room chairs.

There was a posting, on RV Industry News back a year or so ago mentioning how a guy lost control of his Monaco, hit a road bank head on and survived just long enough to get hit in the back of the head with a stove cover. About 1 second longer.