Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #1

sofa question

Hi, We just got a 2001 Alpine and we need to replace the couch. We would like a reclining sofa if that is possible. We have 83 inches to fit it in. Any one have any luck finding one? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
We were at The Biggest RV Show in America in Hershey Park yesterday and ran across a vendor who deals in just that. They are called Simplicity Sofas. Apartment sofas - Small Sofas - Simplicity Sofas Looked like quality stuff. Good luck!

Old 09-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #3

My opening was 72". I looked around at a few furniture stores and found one. You don't need to get one for RV's, just anything that fits.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #4

try this one: RV Furniture,Seats Double Recliners,RV Furniture,sedona
Old 09-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
We replaced the rv sofa with a reclining loveseat we already had in our stick house. If you turn over a reclining sofa you will see two bars that each reclining half is screwed to. Just unscrew each half from these bars, take into your rv and reassemble. A reclining loveseat is in reality just two chair recliners with only one arm per chair. In this picture we brought in half just to make sure it would fit. Love it, one of the best improvements we've done!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	46131  
calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #6

Thanks so much for the help. My other question is do you have to get a wallhugger? Don't know how far they have to be from the wall to recline. Thanks again. I should have posted on here weeks ago, instead of googling til I was blue in the face.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
The loveseat we put in is NOT a wallhugger, I think it's out about 3-4 inches from the windows. Something to consider, a replacement sofa will likely have a higher back, you will lose some of window view. Was not a big deal to us.

Here is another pic, we took the dinette out during the remodel and reinstalled it, gave us more room for installing the loveseat. At the same time we took out the carpet and put in vinyl plank flooring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	47.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	46137  
calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Flexsteel makes reclining sofas/loveseats that may fit your need. Try Dave and LJ's if you are in the west or Bradd and Hall if you are east of the Missippi. Both carry Flexsteel. Also both have adds in both Motorhome Magazine and the FMCA Magazine.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka96 View Post
Hi, We just got a 2001 Alpine and we need to replace the couch. We would like a reclining sofa if that is possible. We have 83 inches to fit it in. Any one have any luck finding one? Thanks
If it's the side with a slide, is your slide flush to floor or raised? If raised, have a look underneath to see if sofa is cantilevered.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #10

Most RVer's will agree with me that Flexsteel furniture is pretty, but set in a while and it gets very uncomfortable!

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Stano,
I respectfully disagree with you. My driver and co-pilot seat are very comfortable. Additionally, seven years ago we removed a curbslide sofa and replaced with theatre seating. We typically spend six months out of 12 in the MH and travel about 6000 mile per year. At leat one other RV'er has had the theatre seating installed in his coach after spending a few hours in ours.
We have a sofa that folds out to a double bed that is not too comfortable, though this is a combination of the slipperiness of the ultraleather and a lack of thigh support with the rear cushions in.
All of these seats are flexsteel.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stano View Post
Most RVer's will agree with me that Flexsteel furniture is pretty, but set in a while and it gets very uncomfortable!

Stano
Not us! Our Flexsteel driver and passenger seats are very comfortable even after 12 hours driving. And yes, I've done it.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post
Stano,
I respectfully disagree with you. My driver and co-pilot seat are very comfortable. Additionally, seven years ago we removed a curbslide sofa and replaced with theatre seating. We typically spend six months out of 12 in the MH and travel about 6000 mile per year. At leat one other RV'er has had the theatre seating installed in his coach after spending a few hours in ours.
We have a sofa that folds out to a double bed that is not too comfortable, though this is a combination of the slipperiness of the ultraleather and a lack of thigh support with the rear cushions in.
All of these seats are flexsteel.
I agree, the drivers seat and co-pilot seats are very comfortable! Its the leather Flexsteel sofa and the Flexsteel recliner that are the problem!

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW-We have some flexsteel furniture we purchased for the house. The frame has a lifetime warranty, the fabric was for 10 years. We have had it now for almost 20 years and it's as nice as the day we bought it. We don't have pets or kids, that makes a difference, and the fabric is as in style as it was when we got it. Once we thought about a leather couch, but could never find one we liked, so we stayed with what we have. Glad we saved out money.

The RV also has flexsteel couch and drivers chairs, and for the most part they are ok. The rocker recliner I don't like and if we keep it would get an ecknoris(SP) one in medium size, it's lighter and feels way better.