Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:53 AM   #1
Alpine Owners Club
Solar panel install

Has anyone installed solar panels on a '05,36'? Mine came from WVR with a small 10 watt maintenance panel for the chassis batteries.The panels isn't the hard part, I'm more concerned about a clean installation of where to run the wires down and mounting the charging panel to look oem, I don't like the after market look. Also does anyone know if the '05's were pre wired to add panels later? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks...

John & Greta
'05 36' FDDS
JWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
Alpine Owners Club

The factory runs the wires thru the side of the refrigerator vent and down behind refrigerator. There are many ways to run the wires to the batteries from there that are not too hard to do. I can't tell you where to mount the control. I mounted mine with my other controls, which I moved back into the cabinet by the refrigerator. You could mount yours with your other controls up by the TV. If you do, use a heavy gauge wire, due to the distance. Here is a photo of where wires run from front cabinets to refrigerator cabinet.

If you need further info PM me.

Dale Gerstel
2007 Limited SE 40fdts
Las Vegas, NV
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
I installed three 120 watt panels on my roof. The existing wire that WRV used on mine is #10, so I just used it for the new panels. You do need to do a bit of rewire in the battery compartment, as the WRV solar used the same fuse as the fridge.

I screwed and urethane glued my panel feet to the roof, as the roof is very thin and the likelyhood of hitting a "stud" is slim.

I can provide more details, if needed.
2006 34' Limited
Retiredfields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:23 AM   #4
Alpine Owners Club
I've put three 130W Kyocera panels on the roof of our 2000 36'. I used 10ga UV resistant cable from the panels to a bus bar mounted on the outside of the fridge vent on the roof.

From there I used 6ga wire running down behind the fridge into the basement where I have a Blue Sky 2512ix controller mounted (above the central vac). Finally more 6ga to the battery compartment for the house circuit and 10ga for the chassis circuit (the controller has an Aux charging circuit).

I also installed a remote monitoring panel, the Blue Sky IPN-ProRemote, with a shunt for monitoring the house charge/discharge amperage. The remote panel connects to the controller via a 4-wire phone cord, and to the shunt with a single-pair shielded wire.

All of this was purchased from RV Solar Electric, in Scottsdale, AZ which ends up being local for me.

Also check out the previous thread Solar Panels for responses from others.
"When you see a shooting star, remember those race drivers taken
from us and are now driving in the Gran Prix of The Heavens"
** Ayrton Senna, May 1, 1994 ** Dale Earnhardt, February 18, 2001
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote