Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:30 AM   #1

Hi All

This is posted to get more ideas why some prefer mid door RVs, not to create hostility from those preferring front door RVs.

Some Reasons people prefer Mid Door coaches.

Far more Homey and not Bussey
Most campgrounds/resorts have concrete pads that line up with mid door RVs.
With the awning out it's like stepping out on your own covered patio with a picnic bench.

Easy to load and unload. Groceries are much easier to load/unload.
Large loads are easier like big loads of laundry or larger appliances.
Setting coat hangers by mid door allows hanging coats like you would entering a house.

Easy to pass food and drink from the kitchen to the patio.

With Front Doors - Quick exits are almost impossible In emergency easier to slip and fall from front door Steps.

Easy to coordinate BBQing with the kitchen staff.

Less foot traffic through the living room. - Just returned from a camping trip with 3 of our grandchildren. Our mid door opens into our kitchen area. They were in and out so many times to the frig and to the bathroom, it was just nice they didn't track through the whole unit getting their snacks and stuff.

A little less wind noise from doors when driving on the road.

More structural integrity and crash protection to passenger.

The door is always under the awning in the rain. - The above the ability to go in and out (under an extended awning) during rain that has enough of a slant that a front door's ground area, isn't as dry. Easier to remove shoes under awning when it's raining making wife happier with cleaner RV.

More hand holds available for old creaky people.

The passenger can sit a little closer to the windshield, so they can get a better view.
The passenger has a window they can open. Passenger is in line with driver, better communications and be more of a copilot able to help driver and keep driver awake.

With a mid-door, neither end is raised very far, so there is no giant step.

I prefer the mid door because some RV parks have spaces that are pretty close to the street and I don't like getting out next to a road.

There should be TWO DOORS for safety diesels should have emergency drivers side door not a window to jump out and injure yourself. It only takes one time to lose or save your life.

Any more ideas or input?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2006, 07:30 AM   #2

Hi All

This is posted to get more ideas why some prefer mid door RVs, not to create hostility from those preferring front door RVs.

Some Reasons people prefer Mid Door coaches.

Far more Homey and not Bussey
Most campgrounds/resorts have concrete pads that line up with mid door RVs.
With the awning out it's like stepping out on your own covered patio with a picnic bench.

Easy to load and unload. Groceries are much easier to load/unload.
Large loads are easier like big loads of laundry or larger appliances.
Setting coat hangers by mid door allows hanging coats like you would entering a house.

Easy to pass food and drink from the kitchen to the patio.

With Front Doors - Quick exits are almost impossible In emergency easier to slip and fall from front door Steps.

Easy to coordinate BBQing with the kitchen staff.

Less foot traffic through the living room. - Just returned from a camping trip with 3 of our grandchildren. Our mid door opens into our kitchen area. They were in and out so many times to the frig and to the bathroom, it was just nice they didn't track through the whole unit getting their snacks and stuff.

A little less wind noise from doors when driving on the road.

More structural integrity and crash protection to passenger.

The door is always under the awning in the rain. - The above the ability to go in and out (under an extended awning) during rain that has enough of a slant that a front door's ground area, isn't as dry. Easier to remove shoes under awning when it's raining making wife happier with cleaner RV.

More hand holds available for old creaky people.

The passenger can sit a little closer to the windshield, so they can get a better view.
The passenger has a window they can open. Passenger is in line with driver, better communications and be more of a copilot able to help driver and keep driver awake.

With a mid-door, neither end is raised very far, so there is no giant step.

I prefer the mid door because some RV parks have spaces that are pretty close to the street and I don't like getting out next to a road.

There should be TWO DOORS for safety diesels should have emergency drivers side door not a window to jump out and injure yourself. It only takes one time to lose or save your life.

Any more ideas or input?

Old 09-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #3

We had a mid door B4 current coach. All of the above are attractions. Detractions are
1) the loss of the stair well area from coach living space (it is in the middle of living/dining floor area in most layouts), and the trip/fall hazard that the open well engenders.
2) on DP's, cuz the mfgr buys the same door type as for a front door model, the door swings open to 90? which then extends into patio area. Our last coach had a 180? door swing to latch position which was nice.

When mid-door designs fix the two situations above, and have triple-wide floor plans that make sense, I think all coaches will be mid-door. E.g. Newell makes nice mid-door models which come close to solving the above, and I think they're solutions will get copied.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:08 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Mike: A triple-wide Alpine is a great idea for full-timers. Are you listening Ron Doyle?

Norm
Old 09-20-2006, 05:24 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
The door has been moved a little further back on newer models so it is by the frig - not in between the dining and living area.

The stairs are covered by a platform when not in use in the evening - so no falling down them in the middle of the night.

Yea, sometimes the door at 180 degress would be nice, but it isn't a big thing to me.

Only problem with triple wide floorplans are the need for triple wide sites.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:40 AM   #6

BUMP -
Old 12-08-2006, 09:15 AM   #7

Hey Rick, thanks for the bump! One thing they said I did not know is the mid door does not open all the way. Is this true on all models or is there a way to have the door open all the way?

Wayne
Old 12-08-2006, 01:26 PM   #8

Hey Rick, thanks for the bump! One thing they said I did not know is the mid door does not open all the way. Is this true on all models or is there a way to have the door open all the way?

Wayne

You are welcome Wayne!

I am curious as to why you need the mid door to open all the way?

Of the RV's I've owned most have had the door opened 'all the way' - So, I also had concerns of the door locking out at 90 degrees = so far my concerns have not been of any importance or negative problems !

Rick
Old 12-09-2006, 05:25 AM   #9

Morning!

Over the years we have had the usual assortment of travel trailers and 5ers and all had the door opening all the way with a latch on the sidewall to hold it open. I guess we just got used to it that way, being able to see out in all directions, catching breezes from all directions, etc.

Having seen all the front door units with it open on straight out from the side made me wonder if it is better or not. Seems some campground patios are tight to walk around an open door that is not up against the wall, door blocks wision and breezes, can't see someone walking up to the door, also I guess I'm not to graceful and tend to walk into things. (Was talking to some friends while leaving a Georgia Tech football game, noticed they walked an odd pattern, next thing I knew I zeroed in on a pole holding a large sign and I hit it head on literally! Knocked me on my keister!)

Opening wide may not be an issue so was just wondering about the position. Seems it would be better to have the door under the main awning. The FD Alpine I was looking at did not have the awning over the door.

Wayne
Old 12-09-2006, 10:55 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by redeldo:
Morning!
Opening wide may not be an issue so was just wondering about the position.
Wayne </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Morning Wayne

They lock the doors at 90 degrees so it won't interfere with swing up door of side compartments and scratch that expensive paint job.
Maybe the 'new gereration' of Alpines will all have swing forward/sideways bay doors - like ALL the manufacturers are going to = they eliminate literal headaches.
If Alpine went to a single 'smart bed' they would still have to lock the door at 90 degrees if the bed were next to the door to access the most used items stored below.

I guess we will have to wait and see if Alpine can still compete with the features and innovations other seem to come up with - and hopefully still have enough CCC for full timers?

I can tell it's going to be real tough!
Rick