Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Jim, that's too bad! A big part of our decision was to not lose our good friends that had owned Alpines and for one reason or another had to sell.
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #16

I remember the discussions about that subject. The Lazy Daze situation was many many years ago, so maybe they changed by now. At least they are still in business, so you can get a new one if desired, so less incentive to allow SOB's.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Yup, I know what you're saying, Jim...we may not have allowed SOBs if WRV were still in business. However, having said that, I don't like the idea of losing long-time friends at rallies just because they made a decision like Mary Ann that they wanted/needed more room. It's a tough one...
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #18

DR-

We owned a 2005 Fleetwood Tioga 31M, on a Ford E-450 chassis, for 26,000 miles before we bought the Alpine. I tracked every mile and every gallon of fuel that went through it. The average for when I towed was 7.06 mpg and when I didn't tow, was 8.02. This included towing a VW Beetle - 2850 lbs --part of the time and a Toyota 4Runner - 4500 lbs -- most of the time.

In the Alpine, I have also tracked every mile, every gallon, towing and non-towing. In 48000 miles, we have averaged 7.52 mpg. If I account for generator hours, and figure 0.7 gallons per hour, the average goes up to 7.80. (The Silverleaf says we have an overall average of 8.1, so that gives an idea of the difference between actual and Silverleaf). We tow almost all the time, and most of the time towed either the same Toyota 4-Runner, or a Toyota Rav4, which weigh about 3900 lbs.

My conclusion from this data is that the mpg is about 0.5 mpg better in the Alpine than the Class C Tioga but the difference in fuel cost between regular unleaded and diesel negates most of the mpg change. I tell people when the ask this same question of me that they both get about 7.5 mpg and there's just not that much cost/mile difference.

I drive about 60 mph most of the time in the Alpine, and drove about 57 in the Class C.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:58 AM   #19

What is SOB? I have now sent out about 20 emails to real regular attending events club members that know us very well. As one of two gay couples (other is two men) in the present NWLD club (not necessarily original owners--LD Caravan group still only allows original owners), we "stand out fairly easily" and are pretty regular attendees, so the group has been very accepting.

So we will back off, see if these emails to those who have been close to us will push for some "grandfather clause" and make room for someone like us. I mean, we don't have to park right next to them, but can be at the same event during the summers. :-) Time will tell.

Their next event is in July at a great central high lake in Oregon, called Paulina Lake. Hopefully, there might be enough email conversation with the wagon master to soften him up to at least put it up for a vote during one of their dinner hours. If not, well, like I posted before, we will move on.

And thanks for additional gas/diesel mileage numbers on the coach. We are getting closer to picking ours up, and hope to fly into Mesa, AZ, by June 27, take a couple days, staying there to get most of the pointers (switching from gas to diesel), and then drive home in the 4th of July beginning weekend traffic!! Fun. But since this is the best ride on the road, it should be a piece of cake. Yes? You guys are great. I feel very comfortable here, so far. Yeh! DrHK
drhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #20

Some Other Brand.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #21

Joined already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLori View Post
Another NWer! Hope to see you at a NoWACA rally! (NorthWestACA) We've never been much at joining clubs but SO glad we did! Wonderful group of folks, and fun rallies!
We already joined the NoWACA and will probably join the ACA, as well. Since getting into the RVin' life, we have always had membership with FMCA, even though Lazy Daze NW did not require anything for theirs. It is a great group of friends, and will still be able to join them (making our own reservations along the way) and now also look forward to the new one!

Unfortunately, our first event with the club won't be until NEXT July, as our schedule won't allow for any of the ones set already. Cheers. DrHK
drhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote