Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2011, 01:36 AM   #1

Soon an Alpine Owner

Just wondered if this is where I put comments, as a soon to be Alpine owner, so cool!

While I own a 2000 30' Lazy Daze, and will be parting with it, I am now in the process of getting a 2003, FDDS, 36' Alpine. (everyone should have two at a time!) With the research already done on some of the better made--well, really well-made coaches, Alpine is right up there!

Going from a Class C (and a great coach, nevertheless), I am looking forward to a bit more room (slides) and one of the best rides in the RV business. Orphan or not. Not sure the mileage will be any better, but probably about the same as the Lazy Daze, since I run at about 55mph.

So I would like to know how to join this group on iRV2.

Thanks, let me know if this is the way to do this...

Dr Humphrey (Mary Ann)
drhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Welcome to iRV2 and the world of Apline Coaches! You're going to find a wealth of knowledge, experiences, and general help right here.

Suggest you join Alpine Coach Association at
Alpine Coach Association. You'll also find chapters for your area and suggest you also check out those opportunities. If you plan to participate in ACA rallies you'll need to join FMCA. Start by checking out the chapters first because you can possibly get an FMCA membership for free (first year).

Myself & many others also own 2003 models so don't hesitate to call upon us either on this forum or via PM (Private Message).

Again, WELCOME!!!
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #3

Welcome. Congrats on your new purchase.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Welcome!

Another NWer! Hope to see you at a NoWACA rally! (NorthWestACA) We've never been much at joining clubs but SO glad we did! Wonderful group of folks, and fun rallies!
Old 06-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Mary Ann,

Welcome to our Alpine Forum and to our Alpine family!! Obviously, you have registered on iRV2 or you would not have been able to post anything. Once you have your Alpine, create a signature that lets us know your model, as that helps folks in answering your questions (answers differ for different model years). Really that's all you need to do other than make this site a "favorite" to facilitate frequent visits. Some of us "junkies" also have the forum set up as a tab to open every time we launch our Internet Explorer.

Bob Bowers is absolutely right that this is a great place to find information, and if you can't find it, just ask and someone will certainly provide an answer...maybe more than one!

His advice of joining ACA and a local chapter is also excellent. As orphans, this forum and our clubs are how we keep our rolling houses in good shape. ACA has about 4 rallies a year, and the local chapters vary in terms of number of rallies. In our SoCal (Southern California and Southern Nevada...sorta) chapter, we have 4 or 5 a year, with one week long rally and the others long weekends. There are also local chapters for Northern California/Northern Nevada (NorCal), the Northwest (NoWACA), and the East (ACE). I see you are from Portland, so you should definitely consider joining NoWACA, as that is such a great group of people! ACA is the national organization with well over 400 members from all across the US. If you go to the ACA website (Bob provided a link), look for the newsletters for lots of good info. They includes a page with of the scheduled rallies for ACA and the local chapters. Plus, the September issue includes a tutorial for using iRV2, if that will help you. Finally, in these newsletters, you will find contact information for joining the national and local clubs.

If you spend time in the Southwest, as many from the Northwest do in the winter, and want more info about SoCal, we also have a website www.alpinesocal.com where you will find newsletters and rally info. We always welcome other Alpiners at our rallies when you are in the area.

Unfortunately, FMCA is not providing us with certificates for free memberships this year, but the fee isn't too bad. Plus, FMCA is a great resource for general RVing knowledge. There is a national rally each year plus regional rallies throughout the year.

Again, welcome, and I hope we have the opportunity to meet you soon!
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #6

Welcome! We also went from a 1997 26 1/2 Lazy Daze to an Alpine Coach. We loved the Lazy Daze, our second one, but we are glad we bought the Alpine. There are a lot more systems to go wrong, but nothing significant.

Our mileage with the Alpine Coach is actually better than we got with the Lazy Daze. And that is towing a car, which we never did with the LD.

I will second (or third) Gail's suggestion to Join ACA and a local chapter. We did that, and it was a great move.

Good luck!!
Old 06-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club

We are all here to help, and there usually isn't any question someone here can't answer
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #8

Alpine from Lazy Daze

I find this interesting. So glad you made positive comments about the LD! I like the LD very much, but just wanted more room. My sadness is that the NW club for LD, is saying we can't come anymore as we won't own one anymore.

Your point about gas mileage was interesting. I get about 8 1/2-9 1/2 on a regular basis, going about 55mph. I intend to drive that speed in this new coach as well. Just wonder what you get, with reference to your speed?

We will probably join the NW Alpine folks, but think we would still like to meet with the great NWLD group. I feel there should be a clause whereby if you did own one, and were in the group, but don't now have one, give a special place for us I understand there is at least one club in Alabama that does that very thing. Guess will have to start a protest and see where it goes.

Anyway, looking forward to picking it up in a couple of weeks. And hope to sell the LD maybe by next week, to a club member, who will see it on Monday. You can check the Alpine out on alwaysrv.com and it should still pop up there. Pretty nice condition. We already belong to FMCA, so that isn't a problem.

Cheers for now, need to work on that profile. Was with the Newmar group, as looking for a short, 2005-06 Mt Aire, but this was also at the top of our list (just wasn't sure we wanted to switch to diesel), and it popped first, after many months and lots of research. Of course, though, with diesel, ya get the air suspension ride and Alpine owners know it is the best ride on the highway!! And after a very bad, brand new, one trip experience with a gas, 37' National product, I know what a BAD ride can be! Later...Mary Ann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
Welcome! We also went from a 1997 26 1/2 Lazy Daze to an Alpine Coach. We loved the Lazy Daze, our second one, but we are glad we bought the Alpine. There are a lot more systems to go wrong, but nothing significant.

Our mileage with the Alpine Coach is actually better than we got with the Lazy Daze. And that is towing a car, which we never did with the LD.

I will second (or third) Gail's suggestion to Join ACA and a local chapter. We did that, and it was a great move.

Good luck!!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:10 PM   #9

Mary Ann,

I probably got 8 to 8.5 with the LD, probably driving close to 65. I did that on our first trip across country with the Alpine Coach and got around 8.5 average for the trip. The next trip across country I kept around 60, and averaged a little over 9.2 for the trip. Slowing down helps a whole bunch.

The LD handled very well as you know. The Alpine is even better. No step backwards.

Our plan when we bought the diesel pusher was to do some cross country trips for maybe 10 years, and then go back to a smaller coach again. That won't happen! We will keep the DP!!

We never joined the LD Caravan club. We do a lot of rallies with the Alpine SoCal group. Great people, and since we all have the same brand of coach, we get a lot of help from friends if we ever need it. And fortunately we rarely do need it.

Being an orphan is no problem. Most of the parts on the coach are built by outside sources, so it is just a matter of finding out who made them. And here on IRV2 we can do just that.

As a word of caution, when you get ready to sell the Lazy Daze, don't use the NADA guide to find a price. I believe they use a standard depreciation for all brands, and LD holds its price much better than that. I used the KBB and found the Lazy Daze would fetch a much better price than NADA showed. And I got it. (Of course I am in SoCal where they have their factory and more owners.)
Old 06-12-2011, 12:46 AM   #10

Thank ;you for your honesty for comments on mileage. When I was debating the switch to any diesel, I could never really get a straight answer. Usually it was just, "oh I never keep track, good power taking those hills, and when in need of a fill up, I just do it." Not much help there.

Again, selling the LD won't be a problem. I am aware of those prices! I was about to pay $20K more for one, when I found this 2000, and that person didn't know about the pricing. However, I did pay the high end of NADA to him.

IF it is a club member (the one seeing it on Monday, I will probably look for about $30-32K for the 30'er. It is in great shape, new tires all around, tuned and ready to roll. I have a 40' all enclosed cement pad, where it rests. I am pretty sure the Alpine will fit, but just have a bit less cover :-)

Anyway, just getting the brochures on the Alpine off the internet and so forth. But still, I guess I can have my first experience of checking the mileage on the way back from Mesa to Portland.

I need to get up a photo or two, and a profile. Also need to learn how to private some messages, which I guess is fine to do. Cheers for now. DrHK
Old 06-12-2011, 12:50 AM   #11

Another question: On the 03 floorplan for the FDDS it shows a pantry to the left of the refrig/freezer. It is the same on the MDDS. In the coach we are getting, there is no pantry. Wonder why. Any thoughts?

There is the cupboard pantry next to the sink (end of kitchen slide) but that is it. So seems a strange area to be altered to be gone....MA
Old 06-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
If your coach has the residential frig option I believe the small pantry indicated on the floorplan disappears because the res frig is larger than the basic frig.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhumphrey View Post
We will probably join the NW Alpine folks, but think we would still like to meet with the great NWLD group. I feel there should be a clause whereby if you did own one, and were in the group, but don't now have one, give a special place for us I understand there is at least one club in Alabama that does that very thing. Guess will have to start a protest and see where it goes.

...Mary Ann
Hi Mary Ann,

Since we Alpiners are orphans, our national and regional (I think all of them) have changed our rules to say just what you are looking for...that if you were an owner and were part of the club, you are grandfathered in or can rejoin if you purchase another brand. Don't know if you can use us as an example, but I do hope this will help you in your "protest".

And, Bob is correct...if you have the residential frig, you loose that pantry and end up with only the narrow one at the end of the galley slide.
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #14

Lazy Daze would not let second owners of a used Lazy Daze join their club. So I suspect SOB's are SOL.