Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2010, 09:43 AM   #1

Source of basement door latches and holder upper things

I can't think of what to call them, but I can't find the right size gas piston things that hold up the basement doors (specifically, the larger RHS doors).

Also, I need a few of the latches that hold the basement doors closed.

I appreciate any help if you can send me in the right direction to find them. Thanks!

GT
GTHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #2

The "gas struts" are available many places including trailer supply joints, on line, Kragen/NAPA/AutoZone. Guess the # of pounds you need to lift & measure the length collapsed and the length extended. Vendors have tables of options.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
The "gas struts" are available many places including trailer supply joints, on line, Kragen/NAPA/AutoZone. Guess the # of pounds you need to lift & measure the length collapsed and the length extended. Vendors have tables of options.
Gas struts... man... I knew that. I'm getting old.

Anyway, I have one that I can take off and compare, but I haven't had much luck with places locally, although I don't think I've tried NAPA. Thanks!

GT
GTHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I've seen them at Camping World, Pep Boys and Auto Zone.

The #s are what have left me confused.

eMike: What would you "guess", were you to guess.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #5

GT Hill

The latches for the basement door are made by Southco. I believe the P/N is C5 compression latches. I am quite certain that you will have to go through a distributor but that should not be a problem. www.southco.com.
A good auto parts dealer should have the gas shocks or struts especially one that supplies go fast (hot rods) equipment.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #6

CarQuest sells them too. I bought two for DW's Jeep at a much lower price than Chrysler quoted, about 2 for price of 1.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a link to the company that sells original struts

Future Sales

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #8

GT,

This is my source for the push button latches, if this is they type you need. You'll never get a better source or price.

Call Perlane Sales, Inc.
4665 Allen Road
Stow, OH 44224
1-800-783-7197
Craig is your contact
The latch is a Southco C5-31-45; Guaranty does not have the part number and probably no one else does either.
The usual street price of these little gems is $46.00 to $73.00. Perlane sells them for $22.00 plus shipping. They have over a hundred in stock. This is a deal.
For more information check out www.southco.com.
I know this model is the correct one because I've already received three replacements and installed one.
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:03 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Those must be for the basement door which go UP!. Apex owners with smartbeds, and maybe some other models, have the door which open out. Those latches, I think were made by TRI-Mark, Inc.

http://www.trimarkcorp.com/en/zplatform.aspx?imgid=2&id=124&Hidden2=%3ca+href%3d %2fen%2fzCategory.aspx%3fintcategoryid%3d3++class% 3d%22headerWhite%22%3e+Products+%3c%2fa%3e%26nbsp% 3b%2f%26nbsp%3b%3ca+href%3d%2fen%2fzCategory.aspx% 3fintcategoryid%3d11++class%3d%22headerWhite%22%3e +Handles+%3c%2fa%3e%26nbsp%3b%2f%26nbsp%3b%3ca+hre f%3d%2fen%2fzCategory.aspx%3fintcategoryid%3d12++c lass%3d%22headerWhite%22%3e+Paddle+%3c%2fa%3e%26nb sp%3b%2f%26nbsp%3b

The above link will take you to the latch we have. I hate to buy a whole latch, just needing a spring for one part of the lock. The springs are .30c apiece, but there is a 5.00 handling charge for orders under 10. So I used a ink-pen spring, and it works sort of. Getting tired of the thing now not working correctly, so I am going to replace the handle itself, then keep the old one for some spare parts.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:49 PM   #10

Monty- take the old spring to a good hardware store and they should be able to match it close enough for a buck or two. Hard part is to find a "good" hardware store. In all of the greater Sacramento CA area there is one. The other one went BK about a year ago.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:40 AM   #11

Just a note on the Perlane sales... Those latches are $36.75 apiece ... I just called and ordered two.
Now if you order 50 ....... Then you can get the $23.00 deal.......... But I cant imagine any single person doing that..........hm.... However.... If there are many of you with Alpines and need more than a couple and you can add up to fifty in one order...........?
{Just some fuel for thought}
P.S... I did order through Dave, who sits across from Craig.....did Craig make a mistake?........ DID DAVE MAKE A MISTAKE......?..........{Did I just get Hosed?}
Wingding is offline   Reply With Quote