Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought my first motorhome in 1974 during the gas crunch. It was a Open Road. I have had 5 blowouts in the last 38 years. I would not leave home without a spare.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
I always carry a spare and glad I do. Blew a left front tire at 70 mph on I-80 10 miles west of El Centro Ca. I had a 97 WB Adventurer. Also had Steer Safe installed and it worked and came to a nice straight stop. I put on the spare ( have an air compressor and impact wrench which made the job eaiser). Started out again and before we got to Yuma blew an left outside tire. My son a truck driver was coming by so we took the 2 tires to discount tire in Yuma. Put on MH and went back to discount tire to get 4 more. They let us stay in their lot since they were closing and we were first in line in the morning. My tires were 5 years old and showing dry rot. It was a fun day
dunk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
As an aside, I would not have gone out and bought a spare tire. I just ended up with this extra tire and was wondering if I should sell it or keep it as a spare.

A few follow up comments.
a) My plans for the "Spare Tire" do not include any heavy lifting or grunting on my part. The spare is solely for the tire service to mount and install for my convenience in either time and/or cost savings.
b) I have no plans to mount the spare tire on a rim. I have Alcoa Aluminum wheels on the four outside tires and steel wheels on the insides of both rear duals. Murphy's law says which ever mounted spare I have (aluminum or steel wheel), it will be the wrong one if I need it.
c) My Toad is a small pick-up truck. All the treasures found on tour will go into the bed of the pick-up under the yet-to-buy camper shell. Yeah, I know there is no such thing as enough room. It's the same law that covers how big you should build your shop--you can't build it too big.

Give all the comments so far I am inclined to just pack it along for a while.

Thanks for all the advice and comments.
v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #18

OK--lets talk "Apples to Apples" --we are not talking light duty truck tires here. Carrying even an unmounted 22.5 [semi-truck] tire is going take up a lot of space. If you follow the 5-6 year service rule on changing out tires, you probably wont have a blow-out due to age [road hazard yes--age no]. If you do carry a spare, it wont match a dual [due to age/wear] but perhaps could be used on the front. Maybe only in "doggie-years" but your spare will continue to age while being stored so you are not putting a "new" tire on anyway. Finally, if you do blow a tire on a class-a, it brings into question the status of the remaining tires--accordingly you may be looking at new tires all the way around. Assuming you have a good travel/tow service, you can negotiate an acceptable replacement tire until you decide what to do about all the tires on your rig. My experience is that you can get a good temp replacement for $300 and expect to get half or more back when you trade it in as slightly used. Therefore, I cant see carrying a spare--best case, I can maybe save $150 someday, and worst case, I have a $600 old tire in my basement that I never used--IMHO.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
I kept the newer of the tires when I replaced all 6 last year, I'll carry one on trips I know I'll be away from towns/cities that would have my size. CoachNet/Good Sam or most any other road service will pay for a tire change, makes it much faster if you have your own.

Of course it may tick off the responder who hopes to sell you one at a nice profit.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote