Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
"Spare" tire?

I recently replaced all four rear tires on my 2000 Alpine Coach with the same type of Toyo M127 295/75R22.5 tires I have on the front.

I started out to replace only three tires on the rear keeping a one year old Goodyear tire of the same size. However, the Goodyear tire had a slightly larger diameter than the Toyo tires. I decided to replace all four of rears the same Toyo tire. Looking at old the tires sitting against the wall I decided to keep the nearly new Goodyear tire. I went back later and picked it up with my truck.

I placed the unmounted tire in one of The Alpine Coach basement bays as a "spare." I know I am not going to do a tire replacement myself and I am always going to have to have a tire company service truck do any tire work along side the road if I have a blow-out.

My thought about the "spare" is that if I had an on-the-road blow out I might not save any money on a highway rescue tire service, but I might save some time because I had a tire that could be used to get me home. This because I won't need to wait for the tire service company to find a tire for the highway replacement.

Since I have never had a rig of this size before and my few big truck trips never had any tire problems, I don't know if service wait time is really an issue.

My question is: is this a waste of space and excess weight to carry around? Is my logic reasonable that I could be saving time along side the highway waiting for the repair truck? It turns out there is a market for used tires of this size and I could sell it (selling it is not the motivator for the question though--time and space is).

So those of you that spent time waiting alongside the road, what are your thoughts?

Northern California
2000 Alpine Coach 36' FDS, Cummins ISC 330
v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
Dave, for what it's worth I'm going to do the same thing. I have the extra storage so that's not an issue. I would not want to pay full retail for whatever tire road service may offer if I need one. To me at least this makes good sense...

2007 Allegro Bus 42 QRP, 400 ISL
wardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
Alpine Owners Club
FWIW if you have a blow-out the tire will be a small worry. Folks do have them and they are EXPENSIVE. JMHO but there are better uses for the space and the weight.
'99 Alpine Coach
Jeff and Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post
FWIW if you have a blow-out the tire will be a small worry. Folks do have them and they are EXPENSIVE. JMHO but there are better uses for the space and the weight.

My MH has a spare tire rack above the propane tank, has always had a
spare in the rack so I never missed the storage space, but have never
really been pressed for storage room. But I figure it will save some time
and money if I ever need it.
Luckily, I'm not so pressed for space or weight that I have to worry about it....

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
My '99 Discovery, had a spare tire carrier, mounted under the frame, with a tire not mounted. I am 69 years old, pretty good shape, and have wrestled 22.5 tires for most of my life, and I'm here to tell you, it is not advisable, they are to damned heavy. I pulled that tire out from under there, and cut the brackets off. The best thing you can do for your coach, is keep 110 lbs. of air in the tires, and keep the cell phone charged! Leave the heavy lifting to the young guys, with strong backs and weak minds! LOL!!
'05 Monaco Beaver 400 Quad SLD 400hp C-9 Caterpillar
2014 Grand Cherokee, Limited, diesel
Katie-Doberman Pinscher, Tigger, yellow Tabbycat.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #6

My suggestion based on my own experience is to not carry the tire.
If you do decide to carry it wrap it in plastic wrap leaving the "hole" open for storage. It will then be at least cleaner.
'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
2013 Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
Alpine Owners Club
Squim Guy,
Just saying that 5000 lbs of cargo carrying capacity can be pushed when OTR for 5 months or so at a time, doing alot of boondocking. Alpines carry 100 gallons fresh, 100 gallons grey and 80 gallons black. So, even with the full basement pass-thru storage on these rigs, it's a good idea to leave some unencumbered space for those things the DW decides are "must have" items.
'99 Alpine Coach
Jeff and Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:11 AM   #8
Since Alpines have large storage compartments, I have carried a spare for 13 years now. The spare I have now is not mounted and forunately I have never needed it for the 2 Alpines. For the the MH I had before that, I did have to buy tire on the road.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have a spare fully mounted in a storage locker under our Adventurer. The extra storage space is for DW to fill with all sorts of great buys that we can't live without before next Tuesday while we are on the road.

I carry the spare because it was in there when I bought the unit.
Denise and Dennis Dalla-Vicenza Co-pilot Mizzie
Gracie a Winnebago 29 RQ +
George a Suzuki Toad
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #10
I have no intention of ever trying to move that spare, I'll just wait for the
road service guy to change the tire....
Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:32 AM   #11
Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
I have a 1999 Coachmen Mirada, with a fully fitted spare and rim on the back above the bumper. It was like that when I got it, and in the two and a half years that I have run the MH, I have had two blowouts on the rear inner duals. In both cases I was able to replace the blown out tyre with the spare, the second time MUCH more easily having watched a professional use tyre levers to manipulate the heavy tyre and rim after the first time. I have now replaced four of the seven tyres, and will replace the other three before full timing in eighteen months. I guess it depends on your experience, but I wouldn't travel without a full spare now. Yes the tyre is heavy, but actually putting it on the axle is the easy part. The hard part is getting the old tyre back on the mounts at the back of the bus! Here in New Zealand things get pretty remote, so I don't want to be stuck on the side of the road.
Graham Gracie in a 1999 Mirada, V10 Petrol. New Zealand, Suzuki Escudo 2001 2.5L V6. Mini poodle, Pierre and mini schnauzer, Maddie.
GSGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
For our trip to Alaska earlier this year, I bought two new front tires. I put one in my compartment. I will probably continue to carry. Some years back I blew the passenger's font tire. The tire the guy put on was not a very good tire. I hopped it would get me to the tire shop. I now have a good tire should I need it.
2001 34' Alpine Coach
2008 Jeep Rubicon or 2012 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat towds
or a couple of different trailers
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I carry an unmounted, spare in a position made for it in a rear compartment, on the passenger side, and I am glad I do. Last year, leaving a camp, in Ft. Myers, FL, I had a blowout on my inside, rear duals, passenger side. I have GS Emergency Road Service. I called them and told them that I had the unmounted spare. They sent a truck tire service company out, in about 30 or 40 minutes. He had the blown tire off and remounted my spare, in about 30 or 40 minutes. I wasn't on the side of the road, but about 1.5 hours and it didn't cost me a dime. Yes, I think it was and still is worth hauling the spare around.
Roland & Jerri, with Maggie & Mollie, our Pups; '05 Fleetwood Providence, 39' DP; '08 Saturn. "The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has it's limits" (Einstein)
gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #14

I have a mounted spare in my storage compartment.
It came with the Coach.
I figure if you have it, you'll never need it.
Good Sam or AAA will mount your spare for free as part of your service.
I prefer to buy a new tire or tires on my terms.

gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote