Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:39 PM   #1

Spare Tire?

How many carry a spare tire for the coach and if you do where do you store it? Do you carry just the tire or a tire and wheel combination? I realize that changing a tire on the road is probably not going to be something most would attempt including me! The reason I am contemplating a spare is to prevent being gouged for a tire on the road. I have a roadside assistance service on the coach but it is for labor only and the tire price can be priced high as they have you at their mercy. This happened to me with a tow dolly tire blowout and would like to know what others are doing about this. I have not made many long trips with mine but as retirement gets close I want to be prepared. I do not have a spare at this time. Any and all comments will be appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 03:47 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A common discussion here. Many threads findable via the search function.

You will find folks in both camps of carry / don't carry. I am in the camp of carrying a spare tire, unmounted is ok, so as not to be delayed or price gouged by having to obtain a tire on the road. Coach-net will handle changing out the tire.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:52 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We carry. Ours mounts under the MH. I would not even consider changing a tire on the road.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:01 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have two sizes of tires (315/80 and 365/70), on two different rim widths (91/2" and 10") so no way to carry even one of those monsters. Same size tires as some Prevost and Newells so I have CoachNet, cell phone and a CC.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:09 PM   #5

If your talking about a large coach. No way! Wheels are too big and would not store easily. Even if you could lift the tire it would be almost impossible for you to get it on. Plus if you never use it, it will age out, and that will be an additional expense.

If you are talking about a trailer or a dolly, yes carry one.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #6

You can carry a spare tire you will proably never need, and if that is the case, you will waste 100% of that money (and it will age out too). Or, you can gamble on paying a premium if you by some chance need one....... Not to mention, many motorhomes don't have any place to carry one.

Now, if I was going to Alaska, I would figure out a way to carry one given the higher probability of getting a flat on those roads and be stuck in the middle of nowhere without the proper tire size readily available.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:13 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 22.5 inch mounted tire that we were able to cram into an outside compartment. One less thing to worry about.......
Old 06-13-2016, 04:47 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Paul, first this is an Alpine coach forum, most of the above postings are not from folks that understand that. I have owned this coach for 10 years and 66k miles, including 13k to Alaska when the tires were 3 years old. I replaced the tires once at 7 years because of checking. I continually monitor for cracking and in the 10 years I have never had to replace one on the road. I do not carry a spare. Just my experience, but then I,know the weights on all 4 corners and know that I am not overloaded.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:09 AM   #9

There are two other things that have not been mentioned. What is your tire size and have you ever called for road side assistance for tire? I have 295/80/22.5 which is not a common size.

Even though I had good tires, I had a road hazard blow out, only 1/2 hr away from a Les Schwab tire shop, who has over 300 stores. When road service called they did not have one in stock and they had to find one. This happened on a weekday in the morning and took over 5 hours to get my tire replaced. Since I didn't have a mounted spare, I had to pay for everything and the new tire I bought was also almost one year old. Why I was sitting there waiting, I was thinking this is not the best way to handle if there was a tire problem in the future. What if I was more then 1/2 hr away, later in the day, week end or holiday. I am sure the wait would of been longer and a lot more expensive.

Alpine coaches do have large storage compartments to carry a spare. The only way to get roadside service to pay for it, is to have an aired up mounted spare. Used steel wheels are cheap. I found used aluminum wheel with some scratches took my best used tire mounted it for a spare. Hopefully, I never need it and I have no intention of changing myself. I probably will never need it, But I don't want that long along side of the road again.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:19 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Paul, first this is an Alpine coach forum, most of the above postings are not from folks that understand that.
OP said:
Quote:
Any and all comments will be appreciated.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:08 AM   #11

OK--if you really want opinions--do a search of the entire forum--you will find several nights of reading on this one. Just like "gas vs diesel rigs," everyone will have a different opinion and maybe a few facts. Like it is with many of these questions, its personal preference: risk vs cost, probability vs severity, storage vs convenience, peace of mind, or whatever. So do your homework first, then ask your question if you must. As always--"newbies" get a pass on their first question [smile].
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:55 AM   #12

Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier

For me, the answer is yes, carry a spare, other opinions will vary.

Roadmaster Spare tire carrier, 22.5" tire, mounted and aired up, less than $100 for rim, and mounting of tire I already had.

I do have roadside assistance, but could change myself in a pinch.

Do the math, decide for yourself, and go RV'ing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier 3.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	130319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier 4.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	130320  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier 5.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	130321  
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:32 PM   #13

Bought a spare today!

Thanks all for replying! I am new to the motor coach owners group and just wanted to get some info on tire problems and have some peace of mind on the road if a problem comes up. I did have a problem last year with a tow dolly tire blowout and it cost me more than I think it should have as I had a roadside assistance plan with Good Sam's. I now have a spare for the tow dolly so that will not happen again! Anyway I figured that the same thing could happen with the motor coach tires so that's why I posed the question. The tires on the motor coach are heavy duty and seem to be reliable but you never can be sure there will not be a problem. I am one that needs to be prepared for most anything so I have decided to carry the spare. I will only carry the tire and not the wheel. I did see the roadside service change the tire on the tow dolly on the side of the road so I think they can replace the tire on the motor coach the same way. The 295/80/22.5 tire is huge and now I will have to find a way to carry it with me. I am one that would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it!! Also I don't like to be taken advantage of and on the road and no spare leaves you at the mercy of the tire service company.
Thanks for all that replied again and I did do a search "spare tire" but got a lot of hits that was not related to my question. I guess you have to put certain words in the search that gets the result you want.
Well thanks again and happy traveling! I am looking forward to retirement and doing more traveling in the Alpine!!

Paul
Old 06-17-2016, 10:49 PM   #14

I just replaced all 6 tires on our MH and kept the best of the old ones as a spare. My "05 Excursion has a spare tire storage on the passenger side rear. There is a "pocket" built into the storage well and a 1" bar to hold the tire tilted at an angle in the storage compartment. I am a fan of Les Schwab, but our travels take us out of Les's territory so the spare tire makes sense to me.