Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #1

Speedo problem 2001 Alpine

My speedometer has just started jerking around. It may read 5 mph when I'm doing 30 or bounce around at any number. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #2

1)
2) hope to see you around more
3) what year, model is your coach?

There were 3 versions of dash gauges & two of chassis wiring, so we need to know to address feedback appropriate to your config.
You can add that info to a "signature" by clicking on User CP & tweaking your profile.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #3

My F53 jumped to 40 mph as soon as I started moving, but was fine after 40. Extended service contract covered it. Even set it to the same mileage. Whether it was correct, I have no idea. Guess that was the best they could do.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #4

My coach is a 2001 Alpine 35' FDDS
Old 04-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
For what its worth ... our C Class had a very similar problem and adding a touch of graphite "grease" to the cable at the back of the speedometer and at the back of the cruise control controller solved that problem for us. YMMV.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #6

I believe Franklin & Dessa have the same version of gauges and can fill us in on diagnosis method.

In the mean time, you can do a "Search" on speedometer from the Alpine Forum page and it will return all threads w/that in it. There are a lot of threads that are superfluous, but its easy to wade thru them in maybe a half hour.
Here is one on a 2001 specifically. Not definitive as a fix, but I sent a private message to Doug to see if he recorded who the gauge vendor was.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #7

I had the same problem on my 2001, 74328. It happened after I had it happen when new and under warranty. WRV replaced Speedo, which resolved the problem. Frank may have more info, I believe it was a Speedo problem and not the main control box, name I cannot remember.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #8

It sounds like there have been numerous problems with the speedo head and not with the input signal. So next, where do I get a replacement? And thanks for the help!
Old 04-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club

We had a new 2002 (made in Aug 2001) and replaced the Speedo twice under warranty. 11 years later and never had the problem again.

When ever I experience the problem, by turning the motor off and back on caused it to reset and work properly for awhile.
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #10

You don't need to replace it. Just send it to a speedo repair shop. Did that with mine and it has been good for 3 years now.
Bob's Speedometer
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome JPREPAIRS:

We have a 2001 Alpine, we have also had the same problem over the years. WRV even changed the Speedo and it still has a hissy fit ever few years and drives me nuts, I have just learned to live with it. The big problem/scare I experienced the first time was when the speedo had its first hissy fit and it jumped to 85 mph while I was on cruise control, the cruise control would reduce throttle until the speedo came back to the speed it was set for. Thatís when I would get the surprise and the throttle would reengage. By that time the coach had slowed and now was trying to gain speed. This happened when I was looking out the window and I did not see the speedo having its first hissy fit. It took a few times before I put 2+2 together and found what the cause was. The other inconvenience is when the speedo reduces speed. It does not affect the cruise control only looks weird because the speedo may indicate 20mph and I know I am going faster. Fortunately I had also purchased over the years a Silverleaf and a GPS and they both provide my actual speed when the speedo has a hissy fit.

I have found that after I shut down the coach and restart it the problem corrects itself.

We hope you will join us at one of the Rallies by Alpine Coach Association or one of the local Alpine Chapter Rallies
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #12

Speedo Problem Update and request

I appreciate all the replys to my speedo problem. They have helped me to understand what I'm up against. This is what I have learned: 1) the speedometer head is the most likely cause of the problem as most of the posts from this forum have talked of the same problem that required replacing the speedometer head; 2) the speedometer head is not repairable; 3) it must be replaced by an identical unit; 4) Finding the manufacturer has proved to be very difficult and there are hints that they are no longer in business; 5) A different manufacturer's speedo head cannot be used because the input information from the motor/transmission must match the speedo head.

Any help to locate the manufacturer would be most appreciated. There is a tag on my speedomoter that would indicate that BorgWarner is the manufacturer. There is a part number as well 7754-00010-01. But all of my research indicates that B/W is not the manfacturer. It was suggested that Medallion might have been the manufacturer but I have had no success through their website. I have tried Aubreys but they no longer have any speedo heads in stock. So, what do I do now? Thanks again for your help and interest. Jprepairs - Jim 2001 Alpine fdds
Old 04-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #13

Why do you say the speedo head is nor repairable? Have you contacted some of the repair shops? Medallion say they will repair anything they supplied (231) 578-4754.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #14

IIWM in this predicament, and Medallion was the repository of design info and they wouldn't service the gauge, I'd ask if they could furnish the design info so I could take it to an independent shop for further consideration. I'd want the connector spec, the pin-out addressing, and the input/output parameters (PWM & range, ohms & range, volts & range, etc.). That way a shop can intelligently stumble their way thru retrofitting of internal parts if possible.

Another thought is to take a photo and send it w/any applicable info to truck salvage places. Maybe places like this outfit? gotta be several around the nation.