Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #1

Speedo problem - Fixed - I hope

Once again I thank all who have resonded to my speedo problem. My coach is a 2001 Alpine that we love dearly. Without reviewing the problem and responces, the fix turnes out to be that the original manufacturer of the speedo will make a new one.There is no repair and they do not have them on the shelf. A new one will be built and shipped at a cost of $207.00. For our year coach (2001) and probably other years the instrumentation was made by:
Medallion Instrumetation Systems
Spring Lake, MI
616-847-3700
It will take two weeks before it will be shipped. Then I will install and if you don't hear from me again that means I'm fixed. Thanks again for your help. Without this forum I would not have been able to track this down. Jim Perry.
jprepairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #2

When mine jumped to 40 as soon as I started moving, the repair shop got a new one from Ford and even had the mileage set to my current miles.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #3

Jim- let us know regardless how things come out. Nice to know if the "walk" matches the talk.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. My 2001 speedo is also occasionally erratic. Right now I compensate with my Garmin and the cruise control is not affected.

I too would be interested to hear confirmation that your fix is indeed a fix. We're all pulling for you!
Old 05-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #5

I cleaned the electrical connector on the transmission, and it worked for one trip. Auto parts stores and RS have the cleaner in a spray can.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #6

Well my new speedo did not fix my problem. The new speedo reacted the same as the old one.Therefore the problem is input info from Cummin/Allison or a wiring problrm. I'm not sure where to go at this point, but a do have a new speedo for sale! Jim Perry.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Usually the speed sensor is on the side of the Allison Transmission. Unplug, spray clean and reinstall. Also check that the insulation is intact between the plug and the start of the harness sheath.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #8

Speedo problem - Resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Usually the speed sensor is on the side of the Allison Transmission. Unplug, spray clean and reinstall. Also check that the insulation is intact between the plug and the start of the harness sheath.
Well, my speedo works now! After installing a NEW speedo that did not fix the problem I was resolved to go without. We started out on a 10,000 mile trip around the US but with less than 3 miles on the odometer the transmission gave problems. We were towed in to a repair station. The problem was the TCM (transmission computer). With that fixed the original speedo works now. Does anyone need a new speedo head? Jim Perry
Old 06-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #9

If you don't mind me asking what did the fix cost you?
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote