Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #1

Cool Speedometer

what makes the speedometer stop working while driving. Then start working after you shut down and restart the engine? This has happen twice. I have a 400 Cummins and an Allison trans. With a Borg warner speedo

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Your speedometer gets a signal from the ECU which gets a signal from the transmission. Since it resets when you shut off engine, it could be a loose connection or intermittent signal from transmission speed sensor. A tough one to track down without diagnostic computer hooked up.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #3

What year is your Alpine? If it 2002 or older, check that the relays in the service bay (where the fuel filter and dipsticks are). Make sure they are not dirty or have loose connection. That is what I was told do on my 2000 Alpine. Ultimately I ended up replacing the Speedo and the problem went away.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

Your speedometer gets a signal from the ECU which gets a signal from the transmission. Since it resets when you shut off engine, it could be a loose connection or intermittent signal from transmission speed sensor. A tough one to track down without diagnostic computer hooked up.
I was having the same problem with my motorcycle's speedometer. I was told that it was the "speed sensor" so I took it into the shop to have it replaced. It does get a reading off of the transmission, and since I have had it replaced I no longer have that annoying problem anymore!
Old 04-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #5

The pre Actia gauges have 5 pins and all receive their signal of the same output from the Message Center or idiot light cluster. The MS gets info from various sources including the Vehicle Data Condensor VDC at the back of the bus. So if you are not losing all gauges when the speedo buts out, it's the Gauge, the connector at the back of the Gauge, or something at the back of the bus that is responsible for speed input like the speed sensor o or a connection getting to the VDC (could also be a problem w/the VDC. It would be great if somebody knew of or could find a shop that is expert in these (now) Medallion brand gauges.
What Flinn said doesn't apply on the Peak (WRV) Alpine chassis, tho I'm sure it is applicable to his.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:14 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
The 1999 School bus I drive everyday does the same thing sometimes. I now know what causes it but don't know how to fix it. however I can prevent it.
Sometimes when I am waiting for the "Little Darlings" to board I have the key switch in the "accy" position so the on-board cameras record them. If i flip the switch quickly it starts and runs fine as it always does,....but the speedo, tach, and all electric gauges other the fuel gauge are dead. it will not registrar mile on the odometer. while driving I can turn the key off for 1/2 second and back on and everything is back to normal.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
What Flinn said doesn't apply on the Peak (WRV) Alpine chassis, tho I'm sure it is applicable to his.
I don't believe the multiplex instrument system came in until 2000. Certainly the '98 models don't have a VDC. But since dillpenny has an ISL engine it must have a VDC.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:51 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillpenny1 View Post
what makes the speedometer stop working while driving. Then start working after you shut down and restart the engine? This has happen twice. I have a 400 Cummins and an Allison trans. With a Borg warner speedo
We've had the same with the tach for years. The pins on the back of the gauge don't fit quite as tightly as they should and every once in a while vibrate loose. We've had the dash opened up and a little push got everything working again. Now, we know when we lose the tach that at some point we will bounce again and after we shut down and turn on the next morning it will be back.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne R View Post
What year is your Alpine? If it 2002 or older, check that the relays in the service bay (where the fuel filter and dipsticks are). Make sure they are not dirty or have loose connection. That is what I was told do on my 2000 Alpine. Ultimately I ended up replacing the Speedo and the problem went away.

What did you replace your speedo with? Can't find any source for Borg Warner.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #10

Send it to a speedometer repair shop. That's how I got my intermittent problem resolved.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #11

Mine works but is 8 to 10 mph fast. After about 100 miles it becomes accurate. Any ideas?
Old 07-14-2014, 05:27 PM   #12

Hartk1- that sounds like a speed sensor problem- dirty, bad connection(s) or needs replacing
Old 07-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Dillpenny,

Are you sure it's a 400 engine? I thought that by the time WRV put the ISL into their chassis (and discontinued the 38) they had switched from Borg Warner to Actia.

F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote