Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Speedometer - Dash Instruments

2005 Alpine Coach – 36 FDDS

Problem: All the dash instruments stopped working –The three round gauges – The Message center panel – The Backup Monitor – The Radio – The 12 VDC accessory plug – The cruise control (naturally).
The engine starts and runs OK. I have a laptop with SilverLeaf on it. It is plugged into the data port and everything displays OK on SilverLeaf. That is what I am driving with for the speedometer and all other gauges.
When it happened: At a truck stop I fueled the coach and drove off idling while I retracted the Gen slide.
In about 300 ft. the message center flashed and beeped that the emergency brake was on. I pushed the brake knob in while I was stopping. The emergency brake was not on – as I could tell because I was just idling along. At this time I think the instrument cluster was working. I shut the engine off and reset the brake and released it with its natural hiss. When I turned the key to start the engine there was no beeps as normal and the gauges did not go right then back. I started the engine anyway and it ran OK, but then were no gauges active. I shut it down again and went to the battery compartment and wiggled and banged everything I could. I then started the engine again, still no gauges but The SilverLeaf showed all OK so I started driving. This is when I noticed all the other things were not working also.
I am now parked for a week and living in the coach. All else is normal.
HELP!!!! Please.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2014, 11:16 AM   #2

TJ... Let's start thinking simple.... Ground cable to chassis.... observe, unbolt and clean the contact....then see if that fixes the issue.
My older coaches all went thru the weird phase during ground point issues. I do not have a chassis wiring diagram to help you find the common grounds but time to make the crawl under the coach

Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:46 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
TJ,
Try turning off both the chasis and the house disconnects for a minute os so then back on. If your issue in Vansco related, this should resolve the issue.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
TJ... Let's start thinking simple.... Ground cable to chassis.... observe, unbolt and clean the contact....then see if that fixes the issue.
My older coaches all went thru the weird phase during ground point issues. I do not have a chassis wiring diagram to help you find the common grounds but time to make the crawl under the coach
I agree that all should be checked, sounds like a bad or intermittent ground.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:31 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
TJ - Since the last thing you did was open & close the generator slide and everything "up front" is not working I'm wondering if the ground wires, hot wires, fuses, & micro-relays in front of the passenger seat might be the first area to check for an anomaly. Those black micro-relays can work loose and start to fall out.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:13 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Tj, I have an 05, 38 FDTS and VMSpc. I suspect you have a very similar set up to mine under the gen slide. Look on the passenger side there are 2 voltage posts, one hot and one ground. I would check to see if they are OK. Mine are located near where the slide returns and are all taped up (came that way from WRV, as I am first owner). If either of these are loose or disconnected that could lead to the issue. I agree with the earlier post, look in the gen slide area.

We left olde Cape Cod last week, currently at Hearthside Grove Resort in Petoskey, MI, heading west from here across UP and I-94 to Alaska and eventually Redmond for FMCA rally.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1401654741.721735.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	606.3 KB
ID:	64353Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1401654979.753234.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	689.7 KB
ID:	64354Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1401655027.399067.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	690.8 KB
ID:	64355

TJ, attached are pictures of the main areas I would look at. WRV is notorious for iffy connections so I would check all terminal lugs, recrimp anything that is questionable.

Dave
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Speedometer - Dash Instruments

My answer to my own post -- Speedometer - Dash Instruments
I was parked for 4 days and I turned off both disconnects [front & rear] each day. The coach never moved for that 4 days. On Monday I turned them off and back on again - whamo - It all went back to perfect except now my LED dash odometer is 232 miles less than the SilverLeaf odometer. Thats how far I drove with the ACTIA system not working. Now the question is way did it take 5 or 6 resets to reset the system? Like Engineer Mike says, "Brainfart".
Oh well - all is OK now.
Thanks to all who replied.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:18 PM   #9

The Actia gauge totalizes mileage based on a separate algorithm from the Cummins ECU. So while the Actia brain was farting, the ECU kept algorithmically humming along. On my 06, there was a small difference between Actia & Silverleaf, since the SL reports what the ECU tells it and mine must have had a small amount of Actia farts along the way.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:56 AM   #10

TJ... I could answer that in the case of my personal coach and experiences that I have had with two sticky solenoids. I replaced one like in your example when electrical things did not return to function after turning off house battery system at the disconnect switch panel. Certain house hardware then returned and functioned properly.....then later I was playing around with features on my coach and discovered that I could not jump a start from the house batteries to the engine battery using the bypass switch....and found the second sticking solenoid....and more features started working. After that I went nutz with just scraping ground points and making sure that electrical contact was being made at as many ground areas that I could find. That is when lights came on in my dash that were not working. I used dielectric grease or anti seize compound on all the fitting bolts and things are less flaky in my older beast.

Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash