Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:44 PM   #1

I thought I might wait till I lost more hearing ability, but this just drives me nutso.

I've lubricated, covered rubber gasket-to-vinyl surfaces, asked my wife to push and pull the screen door to isolate the squeak...

Embarassed to say, I just can't figure out where it is. Does it when the coach finds a road surface/speed that yields a "harmonic frequency", often accompanied by my DHS surround sound speakers frenetically oscillating, serving up a disturbing audio/visual distraction.

Wife just shakes her head wondering why I let small [fecal matter] drive me nuts....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #2

Check to make sure the piece of Velcro is attached that keeps the posilok arm from squeaking and rattling. It is found on the top of the door at the spot the arms when folded would rub against the top of the door.

Take off the vinyl cover on the inside wall covering the striker bolt mechanism. It may be rusted and squeaking at the pivot point.

Wipe the door edges off and spray some Dry Silicone spray around the perimeter of the door and opening.
Make sure the striker bolt is tight and holding the door in tight. It is suppose to float up and down. I find the door is much quieter if I adjust it so the door closes tight. I then tightened it to the point it does not move easily.

Mine occasionally squeaks and one of these fixes always quiets it up. It takes me about 2 minutes at a rest stop to do all but lube the striker mechanism. I have not had to do that for a long time.

I too cannot stand rattles and squeaks. As I age everything but my hearing is going kaput

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #3

My front door squeak originates at the metal striker post attached to the door frame. The catch rubs back and forth on the post. If you look at the post, you may see wear marks from this action.

I wrap two turns of electrical tape (cut to width) around the post. Now, the catch moves against the tape, instead of the metal. NO SQUEEK.

The tape lasts for a while before wearing through. Then I just replace the tape. This is the 3rd rig I've done this to to eliminate the door squeak.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #4

Retiredfields,
I will give the tape a try next time mine decides to squeak.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:42 AM   #5

Thank you all so much!
Old 02-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #6

This may be out in left field, but on our '06 mid-door we had a high pitched squeak we could never get rid of. It kept sounding like it was coming from the door. The dealer finally put a technician in the basement and drove it down the freeway. The tech quickly concluded it was a loose water tank. The fresh water tank was not tightly bolted to the chassis and the bolts holding the tank were squeaking, sending the squeak up through the chassis and sounding like it was coming from the door.

So, if you've tried everything else, you might want to check the attachment bolts/nuts for tightness on your fresh water tank.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:02 AM   #7

Thanks! I just gotta figure out how to get Mary Jo into the basement ;&gt...
Old 02-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,

Thank you so much for asking this question! We've had the same kind of door squeak, and it drives me nuts, too. Of course, I'm usually the passenger, so the squeak sounds like it is right inside my ear! Anyway, I'm going to print all of these fixes and put John to work.

I don't want to take the chance that he'll stick me in the basement to listen for a loose water tank!!
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #9

You're welcome Gail! But if he does get you into the basement, let me know so I can tell Mary Jo: everyone else is doing it...

All kidding aside, I gotta say that's one determined dealer going the extra mile to find a squeak.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #10

The dealer is Holiday Motorhomes in Fife, WA. They are not cheap but their technicians are very good and don't waste time so you get the benefit of their experience for what you pay. They know Alpines very well because they were the dealer for most of Alpine's tenure. It's where we bought our coach new in '06, when they were the local Alpine Coach dealer. Subsequently, WRV transitioned from them to Uhlmann's in Chehalis, WA, also a very good dealer from what I understand.

I have found Holiday Motorhomes just seems to know how to fix anything that needs to be done first time right.

I mentioned the riding in the bay because they learned from it where the squeak was really coming from. I'm suggesting you check the tightness of the bolts on your water tank in case that's where your squeaks are coming from, and you don't need to ride in the bay to do that.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:07 AM   #11

Sorry for the mis-placed humor, I did get that.

And thanks for for the tip and listing the dealer in the "best dealer" thread.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #12

Jim- Here's how you get MaryJo to handle this interesting chore-
Jim: "Hey MaryJo, I've booked us a spot near San Francisco with a beautiful view. Do you want to go for a cruise in the Bay?"

MaryJo: "Why Jim, that sounds romantic! Yes, I'd love to."

Jim: "OK, get in the bay."

MaryJo, as she fulfills her commitment & gets in the bay: " [expletive deleted...]"

Piece of cake. You should see EngineerAnnie riding in the SmartBeds; we call it rigged for silent running
Old 02-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #13

rotflmao with mj

Old 07-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #14

Just a little fedback....
On my first trip since I tried all the recommended squeak fixes.
No squeaks!!!

I suspect the folding arm (and missing velcro on top of the door) was the greatest offender.

And, try everything before removing the door panel (it requires patience)