Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
Start-up Buzzers + Turn Signal Click

As previously mentioned on the "Turn Signal Click" thread I have determined the simplest way to solve the missing turn signal click is to wire in a new chime.

However, I have now also lost all the start-up sounds when I turn the key on, including low air suspension and jacks down beeps. It's a very quiet dash.

I have a few questions for those "in the know" on this subject.

1)Are all of these audible alarms wired through the Vansco in front of the passenger seat? I didn't see any fuses to any of the alarms, but I haven't done a complete search.

2)If they are wired through the Vansco, which lights should be lit? My upper Vansco (labeled "Power Distribution Module" has the power light on on Bus Bar 1 but lights 1 to 6 are not lit. Bus Bar 2 has power on, light 5 on the input side on and lights 7, 16, and 17 on, on the output side. I recycled the battery and house disconnects and killed all the lights on these modules, then when powered back up they came to the sight lights on.

I'm asking this to see if 1)there's fuses somewhere I don't know about, 2)if my Vansco modules aren't working right, or 3)all my "annunciator-type" alarms are located in the Actia guages and they're all now failed for some reason.

Former Owner, 2006 36MDDS
2010 Arctic Fox 22GK Travel Trailer
2007 Toyota Tundra
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
Bill- not "in the know" on this, but have some guesses.

I don't think the circuits you are dealing with are thru the Vansco. I posted a file on the Tech Library, called Vansco Schematic & Tech Info with a date on it. This is an in-process doc I'm (currently not) working on, and only includes the front PDM & VMM so far, tho this is useful for you. You can check your PDM operation from the info there.

As you can see from the I/O info for the front VMM, the ABS light has an input & output; the output has to go to the Annunciator so your idiot light will indicate an issue. The Front VMM & rear VMM are connected by a twisted pair network cable. I don't know if that is part of the J1939 CAN bus or not; I'm guessing its separate but have no reason to put any money on that.

Using the ABS light circuit as a clue, I'd say the Annunciator takes some of its inputs from the J1939 communication lines and some separate inputs that go directly to lights or buzzers. In any case the use of the Vansco system is limited to turning on lights, buzzers or other circuits with limited exception. WRV didn't make much use of the analytic capacity of the VMM (tho there is an exception in the rear VMM which reads battery voltage level to "decide" when to light #19 output LED to power the charging solenoid intertying chassis & house batts if house charge is up to a min. level).

So, I'm thinking Annunciator isn't "on" the VMM's network, but is on the chassis network receiving signals from the Vehicle Data Computer (VDC) which was discussed in your Turn Signal Click thread on buzzers. Leads me to question operation of the VDC as maybe having a hot flash, breaking down, or something like that. You might try contacting the VDC maker referenced below from another thread to find out about spec sheets on it, further info, and diagnostics that can be done:

"Ken my VDC failed and it was a bad weld in the box. The VDC "black box is located behind the rear metal panel of the battery box. You will see four nuts on the top side of that panel and the box is on the other side. Easy to get to from behind and pull out. Be sure not to loose the rubber vibration grommets as they are important to reinstall. The VDC was made by Medallian in Muskegon, MI and the engineer that helped me was Tom at 800 828-8127 X358. Your part number should be
1539-10143-01A. The first time I sent it in they did not find the problem. Second time they did. you will have to provide them with your mileage as that will need to be reset.

Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:05 PM   #3

Thanks a bunch for your reply. I learned a lot from it. I went to the ACA website and looked at the Vansco schematic you posted and didn't realize it was there. A lot has been added since I was there last. It was helpful and sure told me what all the other lights on the Vansco indicated, which I've always wanted to know. I also saw the posting on the annuciator and the VDC connection. That was also helpful. Finally the quote from the guy on the VDC box issue was interesting.

To bring you up to speed, I have been in an e-mail dialogue with Mark Harrah and have talked to everyone I can think of who might be in the know on this, including Guaranty's best tech (who said he had never seen this issue and wasn't sure where it would come from). I think the best feedback I have had besides yours and Mark Harrah's came from my dealer, Holiday Motorhomes in Fife, WA, who always fixes everything that's wrong with the coach when I can't figure it out (they also sold me the extended warranty when I bought the coach from them). Mark Harrah told me it wasn't a Vansco or a fuse issue; it was the buzzer. Holiday MH told me they have seen this problem before in an Alpine and in a Holiday Rambler and there's a "circuit board" in line that feeds the information to the guages, and this "circuit board" contains the buzzers that create the different start up, warning, and turn signal sounds. They said that "circuit board" fails, sometimes buzzers only, sometimes data feed to the guages, and that most likely that "circuit board" would need to be replaced, but they know how to diagnose that quickly and let me know if that's the issue. Fortunately it's covered by my extended warranty, if that' the issue.

I don't think that "circuit board" would be the VDC, since it's back in the battery compartment, and since all the guage data and idiot lights appear to be working normally. But the circuit board must be between the VDC and the guage display. It might even be built into or near the speedometer, because that's where I remember the sound coming from, and where it seemed to be coming from at another similar coach I tried last week at the NoWACa rally. It also ties with Dale G's comments.

In any case, I can't get the coach into the dealer until late August, so I will continue to look at it until then and see if I can get closer to the issue, or at least report back after they diagnose it.

Thanks again; I'm going to print your comments and the data on the ACA website and take it to my dealer when I get it worked on in case they need more info.
2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 07-30-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
Alpine Owners Club
This has no bearing on your issue, however, push the reset on the Xantrex inverter. I don't know why this might work, but it fixed my generator not taking over coach load, go figure. Try it this might work. Hope so anyway.
Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #5
Thought I would provide an update on this issue. After taking the coach to my favorite technician at my dealer, Holiday Motorhomes, in Fife, Wa, we took the instrument panel off and determined all the buzzers and clickers are in the speedometer. There is a speaker in the back of the speedometer and it receives inputs from the various guages and warning systems, and buzzes, chimes, or clicks as it receives input. I spoke to Actia in Elkhart, and they had us send the speedometer and the instrument panel with all the guages and warning lights to them. Actia was very helpful, as others have suggested, and turned the panel around in a week. They repaired the speedometer and its buzzer, and also installed a new LCD panel on the speedometer at no additional cost since others have had an issue with pixels going out on the LCD panel. The new LCD panel has an always-on orange background light and my old panel did not have a light, except when the headlights were turned on.

The instrument panel came back with plastic covering the guages, like brand new guages. They had obviously been removed and replace or repaired. Holiday replaced the panel this morning and everything works perfectly -- all the start up chimes, buzzers, turn signal clicks, etc. Just like new! In addition, my "Brake Fail" light never worked in the past, in that it did not come on when the ignition key was turned. Now it comes one and goes off when the engine starts.

So I'm pleased with the result, and would add that all these signals died progressively over time. First, I didn't have the Brake Fail light. Second, I lost the turn signal clicks. Then it was the jacks down, and subsequently the low air suspension buzzers. It was not all at once. So if some of you have lost part of these items, there's a chance you will lose all of them.

It's also easy to get this fixed. The instrument cluster/panel comes off with a few obvious screws. The guages all connect with multipin electrical connectors. They're easily unplugged. You call Actia and they fax or email you a form to use when you ship the panel or the speedometer to them, which includes the mileage on the speedometer so they can reset that, along with some other easy to get information. Shipping the whole panel is costly unless you send it via ground, which I did, and took 4 days each way from Tacoma to Elkhart (and that was $44 each way). Total repairs were $100. It only took 1/2 hour labor to remove and reinstall the panel. Having been through it, I could have easily done it myself. So if you are having gauge or speaker issues, don't be afraid to call Actia, set up the shipment, and take the gauge or panel out, and ship it to them. I dealt with a person named Patrick, direct phone 574-266-2649, who was extremely helpful with the whole process, and would earn a "four star" rating from me.
2007 Toyota Tundra