Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-21-2005, 04:45 PM   #1

Has anyone installed Steer Safe. Reading postings on the Forum makes me think we should have it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2005, 04:45 PM   #2

Has anyone installed Steer Safe. Reading postings on the Forum makes me think we should have it.

Old 02-21-2005, 04:55 PM   #3

What is the problem you are trying to correct?

2000 Alpine Millennium Edition
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:21 PM   #4

Cedar41 - I seriously considered putting it on a Safari I used to own but never on the Alpine. I don't think you can find a better handling motorhome and therefore doubt that steer safe is needed. If you think you need something like steer safe, there is probably something else causing probems that you should investigate. Most common issue is the tires and/or the pressure you maintain.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:27 AM   #5

No there is not a problem, just been reading about blow out and worry about it when I am driving. I don't think my husband would have a problem, but I might. I thought it would help from reading the post.
Is there a reason we would not want it>?
Old 02-22-2005, 01:16 PM   #6

Cedar- I've got it on my GM P30 chassis motorhome, which chassis has a habit of following road irregularities rather than straight tracking. Its basically a big two-way shock absorber that reduces feedback in the steering. A blow-out could cause some big feedback. Good front tires are the best insurance against blow-outs, although not a guarantee against. If you are still skitterish after assuring your tires are tip-top, the Steer-Safe would be a useful bit of added comfort.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
EngineerMike, you are describing the SafetY-Plus. Steer Safe is the spring-fulcrum system attached to bothe lower control arms.

I had a Steer Safe on a P-30 Chassis and it sure made a difference because it tended to follow the ruts and road crown. The Steer Safe helped it a bunch. Lockily we never had the chance to check out it's blow-out handling.

Ken
Old 02-23-2005, 12:27 PM   #8

Ice- Right you are & I stand corrected. I had the SteerSafe on an earlier P30, and have the SafTPlus on this one. As you said the SS is a spring-self-centering gizmo; the STP is a shock-dampening giz to aid self centering.

IMO, the need for either on the Alpine is much less than on most P30 applications. But peace of mind is in the eyes of the beholder. And of course after-market junkies like me tend to add stuff for fun just to see if it works. Mike