Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #1

I have seen a few positive comments re Steer Safe but no comments + or - re Safety Plus. I can appreciate that there are a very limited # of persons who have experience with both. Any comparisons would be greatly appreciated

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #2

I am surprised you would even consider one on an Alpine. I had a Safety Plus on a 1999 Discovery and it worked great. Never felt the need with either of my Alpines.

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had an old P30 chassis and put the Steer Safe on it. never had the chance to try it out on a blow out. It did tame it down and stopped a lot of road wander.

Ken
Old 02-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #4

Steer Safe installed one of their units on our 2001 Alpine at the Farmington, NM FMCA rally with a money back guaranty if we did like it for any reason return it for full refund. We thought maybe it would help out in case of a front tire blow out. Before the installation we had the best, easiest to drive RV ever built. Now the best driving RV is even better!!! Best money I've invested in a long time.
ps Hope that we don't have to test it on a front tire blow out.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:06 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I just had Steer Safe installed at Quartzite. They came out to my site (after wandering around the rally Alpines) and installed it for $398.22 out-the-door.

I too, thought the Alpine drive could not be improved, but figured it would be cheap insurance during a blowout.

But I have to say, it really does drive better. NO wandering. Twice now I've driven it through VERY stiff winds and could not feel any pull. If it weren't for the sound outside, I'd've never known it was windy. Also the pull of passing semi's has gone away (not that it was ever bad).

Mostly, I've noticed a big reduction in the amount of ongoing correction needed.

It ain't auto-pilot, but it's the next best thing. Well worth every penny (and I'm cheap!) Chalk it up to a very pleasant surprise.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:16 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Louie & Linda
I had a blow out on the right front of our 2000 coach and had NO problem controling the coach. I have said many times that Linda could have done just as well. The total movement, all within the lane was less than eight inches side-to-side. I was very pleased with the feel of total control.
Louie & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by Louie & Linda:
I was very pleased with the feel of total control.
Louie, Perhaps I missed it, which device do you have installed?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:23 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Waterdog4315,
There is a model of the SuperSteer Safe-T-Plus that has the ability to change the center of the Safe-T-Plus from the driver's seat. This is really handy on days with cross winds.

If my Howard Precision Steering System ever breaks, I will purchase the SuperSteer Brand Safe-T-Plus steering system.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:29 AM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Our iRV2.com Sponsor Brazel's RV Performance Center of Centralia, WA offers a complete line of suspension products called "UltraTrak". Please visit their website for additional information.

<span class="ev_code_RED">UltraTrak Products</span>

The UltraTrak products are also available from our Forum Sponsor Redlands Trucks and RV Performance Center. Call Keith.

click on the banner

Although I know Robert personally, I tried to get him to be a sponsor for our site for the past 4 years and until most recently he had no desire to help us out.

=================================================
One other device that needs to be mentioned for consideration is the "NEW" Blue Ox Tru-Center. It appears to be a very robust steering damper unit with an electrical trim control so the centering can be set dynamically from the driver's seat depending on road and weather (wind) conditions.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Louie & Linda
DriVer I do not and did not have any devices except the OEM stuff. IMHO you do not need to add anything to an Alpine to have a great driving machine. Having said that, I do have upgraded schocks on the 2005. I went all the way with RoadKings and Linda and I both love them.
Louie & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:04 PM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by Louie & Linda:
I went all the way with RoadKings and Linda and I both love them.
Louie, What's not to like about RoadKings even our previous owner Bill bought a set for his Vectra. He absolutely loves them. Good choice I'd say!
Old 02-16-2009, 06:51 AM   #12

We have had Safety Plus on a 2001 Safari Panther, and now on a 2007 Monaco Diplomat and feel it helps in windy situation and If ever a blowout on front would be a great safety measure.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
At Quartzsite - We had Robert Henderson (from Henderson's Line-Up in Grants Pass)install the SAFE-T-Plus on our Apex. As some of you know - we have had issues with our coach's ride since it came out the door in Yakima in July '07. We had extreme side to side motion, porpoising, and exaggerated up and down motion with pot holes, etc.

We put the Road Kings on and it stopped the porpoising but did nothing for the sway. We put the Wheel Balancers on & they made no difference. In Indio at FMCA we put the Valves on the air-bags - still no difference. Then we put the Safe T Plus on. BINGO - it has stopped the exaggerated side to side motion when we go out of driveways, make right hand turns - no more rocking.

We have spent a lot of moola trying to get it right (the "Alpine Ride" that our '03 had)for over 2 years - and finally success!!!
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #14

Safe-T-Plus Question

Has anybody had a front tire blowout on a later model Alpine with the changed steering gear bracket mentioned in DGerstel's post (like 2004 or later)? I'm trying to decide about installing a Safe-T-Plus for both a front tire blowout and driving in the wind. I had one on a previous gas coach and it helped.

I have two concerns, 1)until we get the steering gear bracket beefed up it may put more pressure on that bracket per DGerstel's comments and 2)the later Alpines may not have a problem with a front tire blowout, like Louis' 1999 didn't.

So, any experience with a front tire blowout on a late coach without Safe-T-Plus would be helpful before I spend the money on it, and thanks in advance.

OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote