Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #1

Steering Stabilizer

Does anyone have any input--pros/cons-- of the Safe T Steer/Safe T plus stabilizer? On their website, it shows videos of intentionaly caused blowouts on various trucks and motorhomes and driver comments about the device's ability to maintain complete control in the event of a front blowout. Our Alpine is a 40fdts. It sure looked and sounded like a good thing to have. Any comments apprecitated!!
Thanks, Mike
Wrinklemeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #2

We have the Steer Safe out of Deming NM. Love the way it has made the steering tighter. Have not had the blow out experience yet so can't say if it will make a difference.
winhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If you use the search feature you'll find a ton of reading material on these. I have used the Safe T Plus for four years now and love it. It really helped tighten up the steering and I like the peace of mind it brings in case of a blow out.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #4

Agree with RickO. There's tons of stuff on here if you search for Safe T Plus. I've had it on three years and I found it helps a lot with driver fatigue from driving the coach. More pressure required on turning the wheel, especially as speed increases, and on curves on the freeway. But definitely more handling control and fewer small corrections.

Bought it for tire blowout issues and the steering box bracket cracking concern, before solutions were available, but found reduced driver fatigue was a bigger deal than I thought. Never had a blowout so I can't relate that experience with this device.

Installing it is a bit tricky to get the mounting bolts on the tire rod so they don't hit the right front shock when turning, but with little try-as-you-go-and-make-a-correction work, you'll find the sweet spot and not have any trouble after that.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
OldForester.....can you tell me the model/part number and or recommend where to buy one of these for Alpines?

Thanks,
Old 09-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Henderson's is great but I think they're sold via camping world as well.
http://www.hendersonslineup.com/prod...ront-axle.html
Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #7

I had mine installed by Redlands Truck Service in Redlands, CA. If you are going to be near there might want to have them install it. If not, and you're comfortable doing it yourself, (not hard, but getting it mounted so it doesn't hit the shock is the tricky part), then you want a 41-230 stabilizer, which is the heavy duty one, and is blue in color.

RTS said they used either a G002K3 mounting bracket (1 3/4" tie rod) or a G002K4 (2" tie rod). Apparently WRV made some coaches with 1 3/4" and some with 2" tie rods; don't know what you have. If you look on Safe T Plus' website that bracket fits a lot of coaches. However, Safe T Plus shows a F53K3 (1 3/4" tie rod) or F53K4 (2" tie rod). Perhaps the G002K series works well enough to fit an Alpine and the F53K may not be made anymore. If I were you and installing it myself I might order one of each bracket once I knew which tie rod I had and return the one that didn't work.

There are a number of places selling the stabilizer, usually running around $500. I think the bracket may add another $50-60 or so, but not sure since I bought mine installed by RTS.

Safe T Plus Steering Control Model 41-230 - $499.51

Safe-T-Plus Steering Control - Camping World

There are more places selling it, but this is an example. Also here's the Safe T Plus website and you can download click on and dow load their chassis guide pdf for the bracket there, showing the K series, but you can also see the kind of coaches recommended for the G series, which RTS may have used because it was close enough to work.

Steering Controls for RV's, Trucks, Buses | Safe-T-Plus Steering Control
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:37 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for the info old F. According to google, I'm 1,650 miles from Redlands so I think I'll give it a shot myself. Might wait till spring at this point as its almost time to decommission the coach for the year.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #9

Go with the Safe T Plus instead of the Steer Safe. How do I know? Hit a big bump, springs all over the road, mounting bracket jammed into the brake plate.... couldn't turn left...
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
Go with the Safe T Plus instead of the Steer Safe. How do I know? Hit a big bump, springs all over the road, mounting bracket jammed into the brake plate.... couldn't turn left...

What caused that? Broken spring end or something? Your's is the first complaint I've heard about with Steer-Safe.

I have personally installed Steer-Safes on 3 motorhomes...no problems and a marked improvement in reduced driver fatigue, so I sorta thought they we're the cat's meow...? Pretty economical when when comparing cost factors too.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by StansCustoms View Post
What caused that? Broken spring end or something? Your's is the first complaint I've heard about with Steer-Safe.

I have personally installed Steer-Safes on 3 motorhomes...no problems and a marked improvement in reduced driver fatigue, so I sorta thought they we're the cat's meow...? Pretty economical when when comparing cost factors too.
All 4 springs went at once and the drivers side outer mount jammed itself into the brake backplate stopping me from turning left. I had it put on by a diesel shop who do it all the time so I don't know what went wrong except I will never have another unit again.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
All 4 springs went at once and the drivers side outer mount jammed itself into the brake backplate stopping me from turning left. I had it put on by a diesel shop who do it all the time so I don't know what went wrong except I will never have another unit again.
All four springs went at once? Wow..Can't say that I blame you for not using them again.

However ...the only way that could happen is if they were installed incorrectly. The shop must have had a new inexperienced installer who didn't have enough tension on "any" of the springs.

My first experience with Steer-Safe, started with a a recommendation of how well they worked from a second generation business here in Fort Worth...Forth Worth Champion Spring (not to be confused with Ray's Champion Spring). They do nothing but spring and suspension work, and have been in business longer than I can remember.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Get one put on at a Rally. The installation is FREE. Not the unit - just the install.
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you need to get the front end alined? After installing the safe=T
Dave Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering