Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #1

Step well slide cover not working.

Hello, I have a 2001 Alpine 36 FDDS the step well cover is not working. Does anyone know what to look for?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:16 PM   #3

Try holding the plunger in with your finger and see if it will operate.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:54 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
On my 05 the electric step cover has jammed twice. Once closed and once opened. This trips an internal switch in the step cover motor. First make sure the cover is free. Ours will jam if we put it in to far or out to far. Once it is free, turn the house battery switch located in the stairwell off and back on. This will reset the step cover motor.
Hope this works for you.
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #5

mgonzaga - The Kwikee steps use a current sensor and timer to determine when to stop movement. When the motor stops turning, the current draw is increased and a timer limits the increased draw to about 2 or 3 seconds and turns it off.

There is a square nut that extends out of the transmission and if you wiggle it while power is applied to the motor you can free the gears in the worm gearing assembly. You will need to wiggle it back and forth with significant force at the proper time to free it. If you your step is stuck retracted, make sure the door is closed or the step door button is pushed in. Put a wrench on the square nut and wiggle it back and forth with a lot of force and open the door or release the button at the same time. This will allow the gears to free up and the step will come out. If the steps are stuck extended, open the door while doing the same thing with the wrench. Make sure the step switch is on and chassis and house power switches are on also.

Remember that the nut has to be wiggled at the same time the door is opened or closed (depending on which way it is stuck). There is only about a two second window when power is applied to the motor before power is removed by the step control circuitry and wiggling the nut will no longer help...wiggling must be done when power is applied to the motor.

This has worked for me for several different steps over the years.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Hello and Welcome to the Alpine Coach Forum and IRV2.

When I had problems with my step I found that it was caused be the step was not operating freely. First, I disconnected the step from the motor and moved the step manually. I found where the problem was and was able to use a jack to straighten the step so it would operate freely.

There also may be a problem with the transmission (Gears) in the step. Remove the cover, check the gears, and lube if necessary. You may have to replace the transmission and or motor.

Hope you join the Alpine Coach Association or one of the regional Alpine clubs and join us at some of the Rallies.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:17 PM   #7
hax

Try the 20 amp fuse in the unswitched VEC behind the passenger side kick panel. It is labeled aux and is in the top left side of the VEC.

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS
hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:14 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies. I will try Jerry's suggestion to free up the slide cover and re-set the motor. My problem is with the step slide cover not the front steps outside the door.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Air or electric?
Old 04-02-2015, 02:49 PM   #10

It is electric.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:55 PM   #11

I have found that my step cover will work ok with the key in on & engine running, but I drive a for while without turning engine off & it will open to go out but not extend to start driving again. But I can turn the key off & then to Aux the step cover will then extend for driving. It's funny sometimes I think I must have my mouth set just right, or the DW has to get her seat in exact position! We are still trying to figure it out! It is 05 with electric step!

Ralph
Old 04-02-2015, 05:28 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Ralph, try resetting the vansco by turning off the chassis power using the switch located in the battery compartment. Sometimes this cures strange stuff.
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:08 PM   #13

Lots of good guesses but lets focus here--its the step cover, not the steps; its an 01 so no Vansco....agree that you do need to try to ensure the cover is not somehow jammed. Not totally familiar with the 01 wiring but cover fuse could be behind the panel, under the dash, in front of the passenger seat....there are also some additional fuses on the ceiling of the battery compartment in the rear of the coach. You need to keep trying and we'll keep guessing--not always efficient, but usually effective--eventually.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:44 PM   #14

Thanks Old Scout. Yes it is the step cover and an 01. So I tried Checking the fuse Hax talked about, it is good. The cover will not move as it is attached to the arm. I have tried turning off chassis power and turning back on. I have tried it with the engine running and no luck. I will look in the battery compartment and check all the fuses in there. I will also crawl under and see if I can see the motor and see if the connections to it are good. Thank you all for your input.

Tags
slide