Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Thumbs down stereo problem

I just purchased a 2003 Alpine 40FDTS COACH. It has a panasonic radio in the front console and the "original" DHS stereo sound system. I believe that it all worked when I test drove it.
Now neither works.
I checked for 12VDC at the DHS + to - in the connector and had "0".
The radio doesn't light up or play either.
I checked the stereo fuse under the BR sink and it is good.
The previous owner stated that on the front console "the front vertical plastic panel is velcro'd in. Behind it are a bunch of chassis related fuses".

Are the fuse(s) for the radio and DHS amp. there?
I tried to pull the wood grain vertical panel around the heater control and radio off..BUT, It is really on hard and I am afraid of breaking it.

Are there fuses in that compartment and HOW do you get to them or get it apart?

The 12VDC + wire from the DHS is yellow and disapears
into a harness in the front of the front TV compartment.

Does anyone know where it goes? The manual schematics don't cover that question.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Trainstop2 - the front radio is part of the "Chassis" battery so you have to turn "On" the large switch back under the last compartment door on the PS. I believe the sound system is part of the "House" batteries so the large front switch by the front door needs to be "On".

I believe the fuses are behind the pull-off panel directly in front of the passenger seat. It's good to check all the fuses and small "box" type relays behind that panel. There are black boxes that come off to expose fuses & relays. The small box type relays can come loose due to vibration (rolling earthquake!).

bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:28 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Thank you

Good Morrning Bob:
I didn't know about the removeable front panel!
The two main switches were /are on!

I see the fuses.
Later this morning I will check them out and make sure that the relays are seated properly too.

I had a problem again getting logged int the Forum, so I am sorry that I couldn't reply earlier.

I will reply with the results when known.

Thank you again.

Ray Jeske
Old 08-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Got it working

Thanks to your info, I opened up the front and all the fuses were ok.
I pulled the rt front console side off to get at the rear of the radio.
I traced the 12Vdc accessory wire to the radio "radioA" and had NO voltage. I found the other end of the wire coming out of the acc/switched fuse box and had 12VDC there.
The wire is in a harness and hard to check, SO, I ran a parallel 14 ga wire and all works.
I have no idea what happened, don't see a stray fuse etc.

Thanks again for the help.
Ray Jeske
Old 08-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Welcome to the group, Ray! Like Bob, I also have a 2003 40FDTS. Let me know if I/we can help you with anything. Between the two of us, we've tackled most everything.

Also consider registering your coach here : Alpine Register. It's at the top of the forum threads. We are trying to track all Alpine Coaches ever made and verify their existence or disposal.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #6

Can someone tell me were WRV mounted the DHS amp. My coach came with the 37" plasma.Looking to update and gut the existing set up and I haven't ran across the DHS amp(maybe it's already gone)?
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainstop2 View Post
I traced the 12Vdc accessory wire to the radio "radioA" and had NO voltage. I found the other end of the wire coming out of the acc/switched fuse box and had 12VDC there.
The wire is in a harness and hard to check, SO, I ran a parallel 14 ga wire and all works.Ray Jeske
Bold deleted....

With two differences my story parallels yours.

Different size wire (I think not sure really)

Pioneer dash radio instead of a Panasonic.

NOTE: the radio fuse might not be the radio's fuse, Here is why.

The chassis maker provides a fuse marked RADIO and a terminal where the body builder is supposed to connect the power lead to the radio.

The body builder technician who installs the radio might not have read teh chassis manual.

In my case Radio is, in fact, radio (Well it is now) but the Air conditioner is, something else. (That is a much bigger wire).
Old 08-11-2012, 02:00 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
TO JIM & ELLISIA:

On our coach, tha amp. was mounted to the front panel of the cabinet to the right of the drivers TV.
The fuses were in the velcro removeable panel in front of the steps.
We had a "broken wire"? I bypassed it from the fuse to the radio and it all worked.
Good Luck
Ray Jeske
Old 08-19-2012, 01:32 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Sony 5 disc CD/DVD Player & AMp. If anyone has updated their coach and removed this unit and still has it, I would be interested in it. It has to be the sony one, as the RCA unit won't work. Some folks hate this setup, but we have it and it works great for us, and sounds good enough that instead of rebuilding the whole front end, we would just replace this one with exactly the same thing. So if you got one and want it to find a new home let me know. TIA.