Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:51 PM   #1

Hello Folks,

While we've owned several campers and trailers, we've never owned a DP and would like to move up to one this year. We've been to 3 RV shows, been to about every RV dealership within a 100 mile radius of Ft Worth and kicked no telling how many tires. We've climbed up to look inside so many Motor Homes, my knees have gone bad and yet, for every MH we've looked at, we keep comparing it to the WRV 36 MDDS and , as far as looks goes, nothing can take its place.

Herein is the problem. Every time I read about someone buying a new coach from WRV they end up telling about all their woes to the place that I keep thinking I should look some more. I know that there are Quality Control issues with virtually every MH manufacturer, some worse than others, so I guess my question is;

Where does WRV stand compared to the other manufacturers?

Is their quality control truly worse than the others or am I being too sensitive to all the complaints?

I sure would appreciate your help.

Thanks,

JG

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2006, 07:51 PM   #2

Hello Folks,

While we've owned several campers and trailers, we've never owned a DP and would like to move up to one this year. We've been to 3 RV shows, been to about every RV dealership within a 100 mile radius of Ft Worth and kicked no telling how many tires. We've climbed up to look inside so many Motor Homes, my knees have gone bad and yet, for every MH we've looked at, we keep comparing it to the WRV 36 MDDS and , as far as looks goes, nothing can take its place.

Herein is the problem. Every time I read about someone buying a new coach from WRV they end up telling about all their woes to the place that I keep thinking I should look some more. I know that there are Quality Control issues with virtually every MH manufacturer, some worse than others, so I guess my question is;

Where does WRV stand compared to the other manufacturers?

Is their quality control truly worse than the others or am I being too sensitive to all the complaints?

I sure would appreciate your help.

Thanks,

JG

Old 09-19-2006, 04:06 AM   #3

JG, I have no way to judge the QC of other manufacturers. WRV has some definite issues but in my opinion they are definitely improving. From all that I read they are better than most but not the best.

One thing for certain that I have found is their support with your problems. I have had tremendous success with them responding to me and correcting most of my problems. I understand they are way beyond the other manufacturers from that respect. My situation is even worse than yours as living on the East coast dealers are few & far between.

I would buy another Alpine but only if it has the smart beds which are now available on all coach sizes in the Limited SE. The Apex is very nice but we just do not require 40'. So the option of the other sizes in the SE is a real plus to us.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:14 AM   #4

We have had our share of problems. Our problems were not all related to WRV, but several were supplier faulty item. Our unit is a 2004 and we just took a 6500 mile trip and it operated perfect.

We toured the WRV factory and the Country Coach Factory while we were on the West Coast. I would highly recommend you fly out there and tour both before you make your decision. They are not that far apart. Also, go online and read the Chat rooms of other brands. You will see that having the Service Centers call you back is a huge plus with any coach.

The only reservation we would have about buying another Alpine is our location. We live in Texas and had problems finding a place to work on the Peak Chassis. I would check into that too. If you live near a Cummings Coach Center that should be good for repair too.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:50 AM   #5

My biggest complaint about WRV is when you have a question and call the factory service department, you most always need to leave a voice message. You may or may not get a call back, which is very irresponsible of them. As a matter of fact, I called yesterday morning to ask a question and I am still waiting. This has happened to me several times. My personal experience for factory service has been satisfactory, however. Whether I would buy again (I have had 2)is a question that I now struggle with. We purchased the second coach because of our association with the Alpine Owners Association. Whether that strength is strong enough now, well, we'll see.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:39 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Hi JG,

My husband, John, and I are in the process of purchasing our 4th Alpine. Our first and our current coach have been great, with only a few problems. Out second coach had a lot of problems, but many were related to our engine... so not so much a WRV issue. Our experience with the factory has been very good overall, but we have had a few instances of slow callbacks.

One thing we have really appreciated has been that the company really stands behind their product. They will keep working with you until you are satisfied that all of your issues are resolved.

John and I are a part of the WRV Focus Group, and have worked with Ron Doyle, the owner and president, and several of his key people over the last 2 years to identify issues that need to be resolved (2 big ones were quality control and customer service), and we feel they still have a ways to go, but are definitely making progress. We have also been the conduit for the owners to let management know how they like the product, what things they like about the coach, and what things they would like to see changed. It has been gratifying, as management has listened closely and is very serious about the information we provide. At each meeting, they have reported back to us on the progress they have made on the items we brought to their attention. As a matter of fact, the new product, the APEX, includes most of the enhancements that we asked for...of course, everything comes at a price.

In talking to many friends in our "other" RV Club that own SOBs (Some Other Brands), including the vaunted Country Coach, they all have issues with their coaches and issues with customer service. I really don't feel that it is much different at other manufacturers.

We also love the people in the ACA (Alpine Coach Association), and always have a fabulous time at our rallies. We have a Rally Director that really knows how to put on a great rally. We often have gearhead sessions, where you have an opportunity to ask questions of representatives of the main suppliers for the motorhome: Cummins, Allison, Xantrex, etc. We always learn new things from these folks as well as our fellow owners when we are at these rallies.

In Summary, (yes, I am finally finishing) we will keep buying Alpines as long as we keep buying motorhomes. I think this is because we love the floorplans, the amount of storage and mostly how great it drives...and we really like the people we work with at the factory.
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:08 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
If you have read any of the post here you will know that I have had some severe criticisms of the customer service from the factory over the past few weeks. It has taken me some time to realize that when you do have a problem, the people who work on the coach will need to use you as an intermediary with the factory to get calls returned. I have no idea why the factory tech would rather talk to me than to the technician who is going to do the work - certainly a different way of doing things. That said, I love the layout of the coach - especially my mid-entry. We went to dinner last night with a couple who have a new Country Coach - - and they are having problems getting warranty work done and they are about to the end of their one year warranty. Which points out that quality control is a problem across the board.

I suggest that you take some test drives. That is one thing that everyone comes back to - the drive. Would we buy another Alpine - probably. In their price range, we haven't seen anything better.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:23 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Hi JG,

Me again! I just remembered a thread that you might want to check out, but I don't know how to link you to it, so I'll just tell you about it. The last posting was July 31, 2006, and the subject is "New to Alpine". It is currently sitting right at the bottom of page 3, but if it's no longer there when you look for it, just go to the top of page 4.

Anyway, this documents the search for a new motorhome by Tom and Stephanie Gonser and includes a link to an article that Tom wrote on their website RVersOnline. Check it out, as it includes some really good info.
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:51 AM   #9

Hello John and Kathy,
The Alpine overall is a good coach. We owned a Country Coach Intrigue before. The factory service is simply not compairable. When one calls CC with ANY question you recieved an answer before hanging up the phone. I have never had ANY question answered before hanging up the phone at WRV. I do hope they are improving.
Bob and Kami Brown
Old 09-20-2006, 10:33 AM   #10

We picked our coach up new at the factory, w/some problems that killed a whole week to fix. Our other options were Country Coach and Winnebago Vectra, each a step up and down respectively. I'm still waiting on a callback from customer service to schedule a fixit on radiator fan drive, but since that's now 2.5 months old, maybe I'm also to blame.

I'd go Alpine vs. other brands again w/out question, knowing what I know now (or at least I think I know now what I know now ).
Old 09-20-2006, 12:48 PM   #11

Thank you all for the replies.

We're not quite ready to buy, but we are close. You're replies are a big help.

I was excited to see the article by Tom Gonser. It is very interesting and informative. Thanks, John and Gail for telling me about it. BTW, to find the article, I just copied their names and pasted them in the find box at the top of this page and it came right up.

Thanks again to all of you.

JG
Old 09-20-2006, 07:51 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
well, you certainly have a lot of valid comments to mull over before you buy. I have a 03 40' and love it.

Today I finished installing a Reverse Osmosis purification system in a one year old Country Coach 40' Inspire 360. I don't know what it's price point is, but after living in the basement the last two days I can tell you it doesn't compare to a Alpine - even an old one.

It had a dinky water pump that barely pumped enough water to wash dishes - better one installed that matches the Alpine flow.

The basement walls are made out of 1/8" laminate that covers the tube frame. It looks ok, but it's so flimsey you can't possibly mount anything to it without reinforcing both sides.

I had a terrible time finding places to mount controls in the service bay because the entire thing is made out of thin (unsupported/reinforced) molded plastic that won't support anything.

There is only one water pump switch!

The factory installed slides in the basement have a nice carpet liner - it's not even glued down!

I thought the cockpit layout left a lot to be desired - kind of funky.

Who wants air brakes?

I think you need to do more than sit in rigs to see the diference. You need to drive them and work ALL of the systems. Pretend you are camping and see what it takes to enjoy the rig.
Maybe that will help you see the diference - and that WRV aint so bad!

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:49 PM   #13

My "expert" opinion as a quality professional, is that improvements could be made with the WRV quality program. That said, I do not believe that any RV manufacturer has the comittment to quality that we, the consumers, expect in todays market.

WRV does have excellent after sale customer service, at least that has been my experience, and they seem truly willing to improve in the area of quality control. Quality starts in the design phase and continues thru the selection of suppliers, tracking and "health" of suppliers and into the manufacturing area. While some may say that increased emphasis on quality would be a cost driver, in fact, it would result in cost savings for the manufacturer.

I do not think that WRVs quality is out of family when compared to the other competing manufacturers and when coupled with the customer service aspect, I would rate them a notch above most others. This is coming from an Alpine owner who has had significant problems directly related to quality.
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:08 PM   #14

JG, just buy one of the d*** things and get on with it. The more you look the more confused you will become. I will guarantee you are not going to be buying a bad coach.

Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote