Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
Did you change the fuel/water filter?

No not yet...that is one of the things we did when we installed a new fuel pickup pump in October. ...less than 400 miles ago.

However ..I bought an extra one back then and it goes on tomorrow..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #16

Stop Engine Light means the ECU has detected an aberration that if continued would do damage to the engine; next level above that of "warning" is the engine shutting itself down. That the light disappears is good and probably means the trouble detected is very intermittent. I doubt low boost would light the SEL, but could light the yellow Check Engine Light (i.e. low boost threatens fuel economy about which Cummins don't care, but might violate smog regs which would by law light the CEL).
I believe engine has "limp mode" for allowing continued operation under bad but not lethal input parameters, which could account for low power, but that would ordinarily come w/CEL. If the SEL light comes on, there should be Diagnostic Trouble Codes present, which IIRC the Silverleaf VMSpc would report, tho you might need a Silverleaf equation to a Cummins DTC. DTCs are self-clearing in certain circumstances if the problem goes away.

Seems to me in the foggy recesses, there was once a guy whose Vehicle Speed Sensor or some such caused a problem like this, but can't find anything on a Search. I even tried Stop Engine Light and got only this thread along w/others that had unrelated instances of the three search words.

You can drain water from the water-separator/fuel-filter using the small petcock at the base; any water present should come out first. I thought there was a Water-in-Fuel light, no?

Old 05-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #17

Here's where I saw this subject before: Stop Engine Light thread.

Here is the operative posting:
I had this happen on my 02 Diplomat. When I called Good Sam, they put me in touch with a Cummins person that could come and check the codes. He told me there are only two reasons for a stop engine light. Cooling level, or oil pressure. There were two oil pressure sensors on mine, one for the stop engine light, and one for the gauge. The light sensor had failed. He removed the wire from the sensor which turned off the stop engine light, which allowed the engine to get me home, as it went into limp mode which is barely off idle. It told me over and over to watch the manual gauge, as I have no backup now. Sensor was on drivers side of engine, with a single wire run to it.

I believe there are two sensors for oil pressure on yours Stan as well, and the ECU's sensor is probably bad or wire loose or needing cleaning.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #18
KIX

I have been following this thread because I have the same engine as the OP...I think. Seems like I read somewhere that sustained Wide Open Throttle (WOT) can cause engine damage........I'm not sure what "sustained" means in this instance.
One of the early posts mentioned that the OP is operating in hilly country using cruise control and trying to maintain 65 mph. So.......I am wondering if you may be overspeeding the engine trying to maintain the cruise control set speed thereby producing the SEL. What i can see happening is the trans. downshifts into 5th gear which raises the rpms. Depending on the hill perhaps it is producing "sustained" engine overspeed.
Seems like to disprove this idea you could cancel cruise control and maintain rpm rather than speed and see what happens.
I may be way off base with this but the info.'s free.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #19

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Do not trust the sight gauge for coolant!! Use some sort of stick in the expansion tank...I use a rod that once held a flag to stick my tank. If not the issue have cummins do a check before you proceed. Then consider other options for the future.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #20

Have you checked your airfilter or intake for blockage? If it restricts too much it tries to over boost. I've sucked the intake hose shut between the air filter and intake and your's did exactly like mine. Full throttle and it put me in limp mode Just a suggestion. Get someone to read the code .
Old 05-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
To answer your question, mine was running very smoothly the whole time. I did not notice any power loss, but every time I went up a hill and pushed harder on the accelerator, I could get the stop engine light to come on. Reducing my foot pressure on the accelerator immediately turned it off. I called and did talk to a Cummins tech who told me that it very well could be fuel starvation, caused by a blocked filter, which he said would turn on that light. He advised me if the light stayed on more than one minute, to shut it down and get it towed. It never stayed on more than 10 seconds. I wasn't too far from Savannah, GA but being Saturday, they wanted $600 + just to start opening the shop.
After I changed out the filter, which would not even drain any liquid from the petcock (I had checked it last and gotten about 2 oz of water out of it a month and 3000 miles earlier) we drove 30 more miles without the light coming on and stopped at a campground. The next morning, we started climbing up to Fontana Dam. That was the end of the light. As I said when I got home, I had it checked out but no codes were found.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Here's where I saw this subject before: Stop Engine Light thread.

Here is the operative posting:
I had this happen on my 02 Diplomat. When I called Good Sam, they put me in touch with a Cummins person that could come and check the codes. He told me there are only two reasons for a stop engine light. Cooling level, or oil pressure. There were two oil pressure sensors on mine, one for the stop engine light, and one for the gauge. The light sensor had failed. He removed the wire from the sensor which turned off the stop engine light, which allowed the engine to get me home, as it went into limp mode which is barely off idle. It told me over and over to watch the manual gauge, as I have no backup now. Sensor was on drivers side of engine, with a single wire run to it.

I believe there are two sensors for oil pressure on yours Stan as well, and the ECU's sensor is probably bad or wire loose or needing cleaning.
That's spooky... oil pressure or low coolant. It shows to be neither.

I can keep the SEL on by sustained throttle pressure.

It comes on about 1800-2000rpm in 6th gear. Doesn't downshift to 5th and doesn't act like it is bogging down, just slowing a little because of the grade.

It doesn't shift to a lower gear and over rev or anything like that.

It seems like it just doesn't like to be on the floor...back off a one or two hundred rpm, light goes out.

Thats it ...no sign of trouble on the instruments.

What is considered a safe rpm operating range?

When should it kick down to another gear..?
Old 05-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivanj View Post
To answer your question, mine was running very smoothly the whole time. I did not notice any power loss, but every time I went up a hill and pushed harder on the accelerator, I could get the stop engine light to come on. Reducing my foot pressure on the accelerator immediately turned it off. I called and did talk to a Cummins tech who told me that it very well could be fuel starvation, caused by a blocked filter, which he said would turn on that light. He advised me if the light stayed on more than one minute, to shut it down and get it towed. It never stayed on more than 10 seconds. I wasn't too far from Savannah, GA but being Saturday, they wanted $600 + just to start opening the shop.
After I changed out the filter, which would not even drain any liquid from the petcock (I had checked it last and gotten about 2 oz of water out of it a month and 3000 miles earlier) we drove 30 more miles without the light coming on and stopped at a campground. The next morning, we started climbing up to Fontana Dam. That was the end of the light. As I said when I got home, I had it checked out but no codes were found.
You're right..

This is EXACTLY what mine is doing...maybe we didn't change the fuel filter, just the oil, air, hydraulic, etc. filters. I need to check my maintenance folder for receipts, and see if I paid for two fuel filters for sure.

I know I ordered an extra..but maybe I only received one, and thought we had already installed one. My son was helping me...and we changed a LOT of filters those two days.

Something is amiss here..if the fuel filter is already bad. ...and I just laid my hand on what I thought was my EXTRA fuel filter, so I DO have one.

Maybe I didn't get an EXTRA after all!
Old 05-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are 3 kinds of error codes

Type 1: When the light goes out the code goes out

Type 2: When the light goes out the code remains and can be read

Type 3: The light won't go out till the code is read.

So... Find a shop and have the codes read.. If it's the first type (Which I doubt since they are kind of rare save for one very common code which every engine tosses every time you start it) they can tell you what is happening.

Oh, that common code "I'm not reciving any pulses from something that should be pulsing" In short "engine not running" Happens every time you turn the key from OFF to ON, since it's not yet started.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #25
KIX

Stan, I have the Cummins 8.3 ISC, 350HP........I am assuming you have the same engine. Mine will, with CC (cruise control) on show 1775 rpm at 70 mph. on flat road. If I start up a hill it will downshift the 5th gear when speed drops to about 67 and the rpm will increase to maybe 2100. I will then press the fuel pedal and cancel CC to cause upshift to 6th and resume a little less than 1775 rpm. Upon cresting the hill I can re-engage CC and the trans will stay in 6th gear and resume 70 mph. I can and do sometimes cancel CC and manually downshift to 5th to maintain speed on steeper hills.
Safe operating rpm on my engine is 1750 to about 1800 for sustained periods. I think 2100 is max load rpm and then only for short periods.
Automatic up and downshift between 5th and 6th is at 55 mph.
Hope this helps you.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #26

Thanks Guys...

KIX
I think we have the same engine too.
Do you know what your differential gear is on your Advantage?

Can anyone tell me what the 2001 Alpine rear gear ratio is?
Old 05-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
Regarding the turbo,

On my '06 a few years ago I got an error which my Silverleaf called "Turbo overspin" or "over boost" or something like that. The boost would shoot up to well over 40 pounds. The engine would cut power temporarily (a few seconds) to protect itself, then return to normal. After the second time, I watched the Boost pressure all the way home, keeping it below 35 pounds on the hills. Cummins did a program fix when I got to Yakima. No harm done, but it gets your attention. Not sure this is the same issue as Stan, though.
TerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #28

I had this happen recently after a short trip into Fredericksburg and back home. I had just parked and was about ready to shut it down and the stop engine light turned on. I shut it down and found the coolant level was just below the sensor. Easy fix.

Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote