Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington State
Posts: 866
Emike-

Do you carry the Stanadyine Peformance Formula (blue bottle) or the Performance Formula Jr. (red bottle)?
__________________

__________________
Former Owner, 2006 36MDDS
2010 Arctic Fox 22GK Travel Trailer
2007 Toyota Tundra
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:38 PM   #72
Senior Member
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 2,226
Stan, I might have a friend who has the laptop you want. It's been upgraded to Windows XP, but if someone has W98, you could just format the hard disk and start over. Know this, MSFT does not support W98 any longer, and so never connect it to the internet. I will check for sure tomorrow, and let you know if I can remember.

Stan, mine goes good with the toad, but without the toad it's like having a long race car, lots of power, are you getting confused with toad/no toad performacne issues.

Since it appears you picked up a bad load of fuel, run her almost empty, drain the water fuel serperator again real good. Then put in a load of fuel from a truck stop you know has large turnover, and try her again. If you got bad fuel, there will be performance issues, as the cetane is low, you can try a fuel treatment, but just getting the bad fuel out of it, is more important. I have been running diesels for 21 years, and worked around them even longer. The crews who maintained them, always said don't buy fuel from grocery stores, mom & pop stores, because it's not treated, and sits a lot. Well, now there are a lot of diesel powered vehicles on the road, but I always buy from a truck stop, because I know their fuel turns over quick. Flying J/Pilot is my first choice, then Petro, Loves, and TA brings up the rear. Everyone has fuel stop stories.
__________________

__________________
Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #73
Senior Member
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 2,226
OF & EM - I have several friends who drive over the road big rigs, and they use the Power Service Diesel treatment, most truck stops handle it. However, it's cheaper at autoparts stores. I treat fuel every thrid tank, unless it's going to sit several months then treat it right before we put her away.
__________________
Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:00 AM   #74
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Where we park
Posts: 70
Stan, this might relate to your perception of loss of power, while at the same time possibly stirring things up here a bit. I'm not a fuels chemist, but I talked with a fellow some time ago who had some insight into how retailers can specify the fuel formulation (read that as additives), and fuel distributors then provide different fuel with varying BTUs (energy) that can reduce (or increase) the retailers cost. I'll be real interested to see what kind of discussion follows this, and would look forward to a knowledgeable person providing more information and/or corrections to this view. You may not have any problems with your engine, it may just be a poor fuel formulation or low Cetane rating.
__________________
John & Carol Randolph
2005 Alpine 34 FDDS
2006 Jeep Liberty
johnwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #75
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwr View Post
Stan, this might relate to your perception of loss of power, while at the same time possibly stirring things up here a bit. I'm not a fuels chemist, but I talked with a fellow some time ago who had some insight into how retailers can specify the fuel formulation (read that as additives), and fuel distributors then provide different fuel with varying BTUs (energy) that can reduce (or increase) the retailers cost. I'll be real interested to see what kind of discussion follows this, and would look forward to a knowledgeable person providing more information and/or corrections to this view. You may not have any problems with your engine, it may just be a poor fuel formulation or low Cetane rating.

At this point John...low performing fuel would make sense..even though I didn't know there was such a thing with diesel. Gasoline, yep for sure, but I thought diesel was diesel in regard to performance..So more real information on this subject would be very enlightening.
__________________
Stan...
2001 Alpine, 350 hp., 40' FDSS
StansCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:16 AM   #76
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rv'er View Post
OF & EM - I have several friends who drive over the road big rigs, and they use the Power Service Diesel treatment, most truck stops handle it. However, it's cheaper at autoparts stores. I treat fuel every thrid tank, unless it's going to sit several months then treat it right before we put her away.

I was at the Cummins dealership yesterday early AM. I was going to get them to check the turbo..Ha! They said the only way to check it was to put in on the dyno and run it up. $500/$600 estimated cost!! So I did nothing..at least there.

I did ask the service mgr., about fuel treatment...he mentioned Power Service fuel treatment also. I have zero confidence in his knowledge...in fact I don't know how he got his job , he's in a daze it seems. BUT..I did buy some of the Power Service treatment at O'Rileys.... I figured he HAD to know more than he acted like he knew.??
__________________
Stan...
2001 Alpine, 350 hp., 40' FDSS
StansCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:27 AM   #77
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rv'er View Post
Stan, I might have a friend who has the laptop you want. It's been upgraded to Windows XP, but if someone has W98, you could just format the hard disk and start over. Know this, MSFT does not support W98 any longer, and so never connect it to the internet. I will check for sure tomorrow, and let you know if I can remember.

Stan, mine goes good with the toad, but without the toad it's like having a long race car, lots of power, are you getting confused with toad/no toad performacne issues.

Since it appears you picked up a bad load of fuel, run her almost empty, drain the water fuel serperator again real good. Then put in a load of fuel from a truck stop you know has large turnover, and try her again. If you got bad fuel, there will be performance issues, as the cetane is low, you can try a fuel treatment, but just getting the bad fuel out of it, is more important. I have been running diesels for 21 years, and worked around them even longer. The crews who maintained them, always said don't buy fuel from grocery stores, mom & pop stores, because it's not treated, and sits a lot. Well, now there are a lot of diesel powered vehicles on the road, but I always buy from a truck stop, because I know their fuel turns over quick. Flying J/Pilot is my first choice, then Petro, Loves, and TA brings up the rear. Everyone has fuel stop stories.
Thanks Monty..
I'd be interested in the computer....unless one fell in my lap that still had Win 98 or something. It'll never see the internet...just be velcroed neatly on the dash to check out the engine functions.

My toad is so light you really can't tell it's there...even behind my gas rig. Thats the main reason I have it...Beckey can even push it around on the parking lot if she wanted too. But ...I've driven the coach with and without the toad...since all this began, so no confusyion there...
__________________
Stan...
2001 Alpine, 350 hp., 40' FDSS
StansCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #78
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10
Does your RV have a cummins engine? Your symptoms sound exactly like what I just experienced with my rv. Take your rv to an authorized cummins dealer. They can read the codes and tell you what the problem is. In my case it was the Caps Pump (fuel pump). This is a very costly repair. 5k with labor. Good luck....
__________________
bcrow8778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,943
Just fork over for a Cummins inline-5 adapter and pick up a copy of Insite. That way you can read everything and it will take snapshots as you tool down the road. When you read a code it gives you diagrams and repair procedures. You can also diagnose the ABS systems and the Allison trans. with Allison PC-Docs.


With the right license you can pre-program almost anything. AND you can dis-able the stop engine light. Adjust idle rpm's, how your speed control works. and upgrade the ECM. Half the time all that is needed is to have the lastest upgrade put in your ECM. I had trouble with low coolant level. Upgraded from.xxxxx.7 to xxxxx .28. That's how many upgrades to mine from 2006.

It will also tell you what day your engine was built, how many hrs in high gear, how many hrs idle time and how many gals of fuel been thru it since new.It's the cats arse.
__________________
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:54 AM   #80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrow8778 View Post
Does your RV have a cummins engine? Your symptoms sound exactly like what I just experienced with my rv. Take your rv to an authorized cummins dealer. They can read the codes and tell you what the problem is. In my case it was the Caps Pump (fuel pump). This is a very costly repair. 5k with labor. Good luck....
Cummins ISC 350

Which symptoms..
The Stop Engine Light symptoms ?...which the fuel/water filter fixed I believe...or the seat of the pants feeling? (I thougth it might not have quite as much power as when I first got it)

Fuel delivery symptoms usually don't leave a trouble code...according to our local Cunnins service mgr...???
__________________
Stan...
2001 Alpine, 350 hp., 40' FDSS
StansCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:16 AM   #81
Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Just fork over for a Cummins inline-5 adapter and pick up a copy of Insite. That way you can read everything and it will take snapshots as you tool down the road. When you read a code it gives you diagrams and repair procedures. You can also diagnose the ABS systems and the Allison trans. with Allison PC-Docs.


With the right license you can pre-program almost anything. AND you can dis-able the stop engine light. Adjust idle rpm's, how your speed control works. and upgrade the ECM. Half the time all that is needed is to have the lastest upgrade put in your ECM. I had trouble with low coolant level. Upgraded from.xxxxx.7 to xxxxx .28. That's how many upgrades to mine from 2006.

It will also tell you what day your engine was built, how many hrs in high gear, how many hrs idle time and how many gals of fuel been thru it since new.It's the cats arse.

What does it cost?
__________________
ulric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #82
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Auburn, CA, Havasu, AZ & Mulege, BCS
Posts: 5,217
Was about $1300 incl. tax when I bought it, plus $375/yr subscription for Insite Lite which will do everything Insite Heavy will do except allow access to ECU programming. You can reset engine 'parameters' like how the cruise control operates, etc., and read all engine input data, DTC's, reset MIL, blah, blah, blah....
__________________

__________________
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Check Engine light wilpower Monaco Owner's Forum 2 09-02-2010 03:16 PM
What Filter is better RattlenRam Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 76 01-22-2010 10:14 AM
1990 Ford runs great on the highway but wont pull away from the stop light nhcouple Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 8 11-22-2009 01:11 PM
Light for engine heater switch wagonmaster2 Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 7 10-14-2009 11:17 PM
check engine light ljohio Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 6 10-11-2006 06:45 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.