Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #71

Emike-

Do you carry the Stanadyine Peformance Formula (blue bottle) or the Performance Formula Jr. (red bottle)?
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #72

Newmar Owners Club
Stan, I might have a friend who has the laptop you want. It's been upgraded to Windows XP, but if someone has W98, you could just format the hard disk and start over. Know this, MSFT does not support W98 any longer, and so never connect it to the internet. I will check for sure tomorrow, and let you know if I can remember.

Stan, mine goes good with the toad, but without the toad it's like having a long race car, lots of power, are you getting confused with toad/no toad performacne issues.

Since it appears you picked up a bad load of fuel, run her almost empty, drain the water fuel serperator again real good. Then put in a load of fuel from a truck stop you know has large turnover, and try her again. If you got bad fuel, there will be performance issues, as the cetane is low, you can try a fuel treatment, but just getting the bad fuel out of it, is more important. I have been running diesels for 21 years, and worked around them even longer. The crews who maintained them, always said don't buy fuel from grocery stores, mom & pop stores, because it's not treated, and sits a lot. Well, now there are a lot of diesel powered vehicles on the road, but I always buy from a truck stop, because I know their fuel turns over quick. Flying J/Pilot is my first choice, then Petro, Loves, and TA brings up the rear. Everyone has fuel stop stories.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
OF & EM - I have several friends who drive over the road big rigs, and they use the Power Service Diesel treatment, most truck stops handle it. However, it's cheaper at autoparts stores. I treat fuel every thrid tank, unless it's going to sit several months then treat it right before we put her away.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:00 AM   #74

Stan, this might relate to your perception of loss of power, while at the same time possibly stirring things up here a bit. I'm not a fuels chemist, but I talked with a fellow some time ago who had some insight into how retailers can specify the fuel formulation (read that as additives), and fuel distributors then provide different fuel with varying BTUs (energy) that can reduce (or increase) the retailers cost. I'll be real interested to see what kind of discussion follows this, and would look forward to a knowledgeable person providing more information and/or corrections to this view. You may not have any problems with your engine, it may just be a poor fuel formulation or low Cetane rating.
johnwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:05 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwr View Post
Stan, this might relate to your perception of loss of power, while at the same time possibly stirring things up here a bit. I'm not a fuels chemist, but I talked with a fellow some time ago who had some insight into how retailers can specify the fuel formulation (read that as additives), and fuel distributors then provide different fuel with varying BTUs (energy) that can reduce (or increase) the retailers cost. I'll be real interested to see what kind of discussion follows this, and would look forward to a knowledgeable person providing more information and/or corrections to this view. You may not have any problems with your engine, it may just be a poor fuel formulation or low Cetane rating.

At this point John...low performing fuel would make sense..even though I didn't know there was such a thing with diesel. Gasoline, yep for sure, but I thought diesel was diesel in regard to performance..So more real information on this subject would be very enlightening.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:16 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renipladlo View Post
OF & EM - I have several friends who drive over the road big rigs, and they use the Power Service Diesel treatment, most truck stops handle it. However, it's cheaper at autoparts stores. I treat fuel every thrid tank, unless it's going to sit several months then treat it right before we put her away.

I was at the Cummins dealership yesterday early AM. I was going to get them to check the turbo..Ha! They said the only way to check it was to put in on the dyno and run it up. $500/$600 estimated cost!! So I did nothing..at least there.

I did ask the service mgr., about fuel treatment...he mentioned Power Service fuel treatment also. I have zero confidence in his knowledge...in fact I don't know how he got his job , he's in a daze it seems. BUT..I did buy some of the Power Service treatment at O'Rileys.... I figured he HAD to know more than he acted like he knew.??
Old 05-24-2011, 06:27 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renipladlo View Post
Stan, I might have a friend who has the laptop you want. It's been upgraded to Windows XP, but if someone has W98, you could just format the hard disk and start over. Know this, MSFT does not support W98 any longer, and so never connect it to the internet. I will check for sure tomorrow, and let you know if I can remember.

Stan, mine goes good with the toad, but without the toad it's like having a long race car, lots of power, are you getting confused with toad/no toad performacne issues.

Since it appears you picked up a bad load of fuel, run her almost empty, drain the water fuel serperator again real good. Then put in a load of fuel from a truck stop you know has large turnover, and try her again. If you got bad fuel, there will be performance issues, as the cetane is low, you can try a fuel treatment, but just getting the bad fuel out of it, is more important. I have been running diesels for 21 years, and worked around them even longer. The crews who maintained them, always said don't buy fuel from grocery stores, mom & pop stores, because it's not treated, and sits a lot. Well, now there are a lot of diesel powered vehicles on the road, but I always buy from a truck stop, because I know their fuel turns over quick. Flying J/Pilot is my first choice, then Petro, Loves, and TA brings up the rear. Everyone has fuel stop stories.
Thanks Monty..
I'd be interested in the computer....unless one fell in my lap that still had Win 98 or something. It'll never see the internet...just be velcroed neatly on the dash to check out the engine functions.

My toad is so light you really can't tell it's there...even behind my gas rig. Thats the main reason I have it...Beckey can even push it around on the parking lot if she wanted too. But ...I've driven the coach with and without the toad...since all this began, so no confusyion there...
Old 05-25-2011, 10:37 AM   #78

Does your RV have a cummins engine? Your symptoms sound exactly like what I just experienced with my rv. Take your rv to an authorized cummins dealer. They can read the codes and tell you what the problem is. In my case it was the Caps Pump (fuel pump). This is a very costly repair. 5k with labor. Good luck....
bcrow8778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #79

Just fork over for a Cummins inline-5 adapter and pick up a copy of Insite. That way you can read everything and it will take snapshots as you tool down the road. When you read a code it gives you diagrams and repair procedures. You can also diagnose the ABS systems and the Allison trans. with Allison PC-Docs.

With the right license you can pre-program almost anything. AND you can dis-able the stop engine light. Adjust idle rpm's, how your speed control works. and upgrade the ECM. Half the time all that is needed is to have the lastest upgrade put in your ECM. I had trouble with low coolant level. Upgraded from.xxxxx.7 to xxxxx .28. That's how many upgrades to mine from 2006.

It will also tell you what day your engine was built, how many hrs in high gear, how many hrs idle time and how many gals of fuel been thru it since new.It's the cats arse.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:54 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrow8778 View Post
Does your RV have a cummins engine? Your symptoms sound exactly like what I just experienced with my rv. Take your rv to an authorized cummins dealer. They can read the codes and tell you what the problem is. In my case it was the Caps Pump (fuel pump). This is a very costly repair. 5k with labor. Good luck....
Cummins ISC 350

Which symptoms..
The Stop Engine Light symptoms ?...which the fuel/water filter fixed I believe...or the seat of the pants feeling? (I thougth it might not have quite as much power as when I first got it)

Fuel delivery symptoms usually don't leave a trouble code...according to our local Cunnins service mgr...???
Old 05-27-2011, 07:16 AM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Just fork over for a Cummins inline-5 adapter and pick up a copy of Insite. That way you can read everything and it will take snapshots as you tool down the road. When you read a code it gives you diagrams and repair procedures. You can also diagnose the ABS systems and the Allison trans. with Allison PC-Docs.

With the right license you can pre-program almost anything. AND you can dis-able the stop engine light. Adjust idle rpm's, how your speed control works. and upgrade the ECM. Half the time all that is needed is to have the lastest upgrade put in your ECM. I had trouble with low coolant level. Upgraded from.xxxxx.7 to xxxxx .28. That's how many upgrades to mine from 2006.

It will also tell you what day your engine was built, how many hrs in high gear, how many hrs idle time and how many gals of fuel been thru it since new.It's the cats arse.

What does it cost?
ulric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #82

Was about $1300 incl. tax when I bought it, plus $375/yr subscription for Insite Lite which will do everything Insite Heavy will do except allow access to ECU programming. You can reset engine 'parameters' like how the cruise control operates, etc., and read all engine input data, DTC's, reset MIL, blah, blah, blah....