Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #1

STOP ENGINE LIGHT...now what???

Well we took another short shakedown cruise (200 miles) before heading out on a long one...as before most things are great EXCEPT...

When in hilly central Texas terrain...about 1800 RPM in 6th gear...the Stop Engine light comes on unless you back out of the cruise control. This was at speeds around 60-65 mph..

I can make the light come on at will, by manually depressing the throttle to the floor, while going up one of these hills. BUT..it will go off immediately if I back off the throttle a little.

The oil pressure is 55-60 lbs steady , and the temp is 180 approx..(sits a good bit below the 200 mark, you have to approximate what it is).
I haven't driven this thing enough to really tell if there is any power loss or not....I guess the turbo could be acting up or something?? ...or maybe a it has a rev limiter warning or something...at 1800 rpm though?

I'm pulling a little rag top Geo tracker (which is as light as toads come). The bins are pretty loaded...but light stuff like lawn chairs a few tools and the usual stuff. I had 1/2 a tank of diesel, 1/4 tank fresh water and about a 1/4 tank black water...grey tank was empty.

It seems like the motorhome ran a little stronger when I first got it...but I had just stepped out of a 37ft. gas rig...so any pusher would seem like a rocket ship. Maybe I'm just becomming more accustomed to this one...unless the turbo or something "is" acting up ?

Anyone have a clue what is causing the light to come on...I'm totally bumfuzzled??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #2

Only guessing but you may have some sort of turbo/low boost issue. Only way to tell for sure is to take it to Cummins so they can plug it into their computer to diagnose the stored fault code[s] causing the light to come on.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Did you recently get fuel? If so check your fuel filter..

Had the same thing happen once in texas....Couldn't get over 60 mph though

I cruise at 1750 rpm all the time......going uphill around 2000, dont think there is a govenor set that low
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I also had a problem with the fuel filter (combination water separator) when starting out on my last trip. It suddenly started jerking under load. The pedal could onlhy go down so far before it started jerking. I could tell immediately that it acted like it was running out of fuel. Turned around, took it to a local shop, and I was on my way in a couple of hours.

I also had a problem in which the shop forgot to tighten the turbo boost hose so it "blew off" at one end. If your turbo isn't working at all you should be able to observe the absence of that "whistling" sound when revving the engine. Mine would also poor smoke even under a light load.

If neither of these symptoms apply, you need to have Cummins diagnose it. It could still be a turbo problem but just not as severe as the "blow out" I experienced.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #5

This one runs smoothly...just not as much power as I thought it had initially. I likely would have thought nothing of it except for the light....other than thinking I must be getting used to the diesel.

I guess the power is "really" noticed when taking off (compared to a gas rig that is)...and I didn't drive it in any hilly terrain when I first got it.

350 hp. is usually plenty of hp to pull moderate long hills with a toad on cruise at 65 isn't it ??
Old 05-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #6

Alot of the newer turbos that have alot of electronic parts seem to be acting up lately I think it has something to do with the fuel and this makes the computer think its a problem in the turbo. If it has a newer VGT turbo it could be something as simple as crappy fuel = more soot in the exhaust side of vgt turbo = low performance or stuck nozzel ring at full boost which will make the shut engine down light come on.
motofamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by motofamily View Post
Alot of the newer turbos that have alot of electronic parts seem to be acting up lately I think it has something to do with the fuel and this makes the computer think its a problem in the turbo. If it has a newer VGT turbo it could be something as simple as crappy fuel = more soot in the exhaust side of vgt turbo = low performance or stuck nozzel ring at full boost which will make the shut engine down light come on.

Is a 2001 model considered a newer turbo..?

I haven't noticed any smoking..and this one has the orange L-bows, which is the better ones I think?
Old 05-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #8

StansCustom,

Have you considered using the Silverleaf VMSpc software, cable and JIB to get engine diagnostic information on your laptop? The software is free to download, but you have to buy the cable and JIB. See this link to see a sample of what can be monitored:

Silverleaf Monitor VMSpc

See this link for the Silverleaf site info:

VMSpc | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc.

As you can see from looking at these links, you get a wealth of engine info that is very helpful in diagnosing lots of potential problems. I think the cable and JIB sell for about $300.

I think I still have my old VMSpc cable and JIB from my previous 2001 Alpine Coach. I no longer need this, since my 2006 Alpine Coach has the factory optioned Silverleaf monitor built in.

Just because we both appear to live in the North Texas area, I would be willing to provide this to you for a nominal amount. Send me a private email if you are interested. If so, then I will dig into my bag of motorhome goodies to confirm that I still have the cable and JIB.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Go with Dales cable. I have the VMSpc on our rig and it is a great tool.

350hp and 1050 ft lbs is plenty enough grunt, no worries there.

Good luck on the fix.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mine was doing exactly the same thing last fall in the Smokey Mountains. I stopped and replaced the water fuel separator and it fixed it. After a week and 1200 miles (we were in the middle of nowhere on a weekend) I had the codes checked and there wer not any stored. 2001 Cummins ISC 330 HP on 40 ft Spartan Chassis
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Another vote for the VMSPC... especially if you can get the cable from Dale. I think they're nearly $400 new!

You might check your coolant level just to make sure you don't end up with a red face like I did after getting the STOP ENGINE light and having my new 40DP towed into a Cummins shop. Low coolant triggered the light to come on while going up the Grapevine near LA.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #12

Thanks everyone...
There's some good suggestions here...

RickO
I never thought about the coolant level causing this, for instance. Headed out to to take a look at that as we speak..

krivanj
Yours was doing "exactly" the same thing? Mine runs smooth...maybe a less power, but no other issues that I can see....other than the light. That's exactly what yours was doing too..?
A water fuel separator would be good....I can't help but think it's something like that. Just got to figure it out.

...and thanks Dale I just sent you an e-mail.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #13

The coolant level was perfect..shucks, that would have been tooo easy
Old 05-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #14

Did you change the fuel/water filter?
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote