Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #15

v8dave - Your first question in your last response caused me to rethink the events of the trip where I noticed the problem. On the way to Yosemite Google map directed me on a forsaken path to Yosemite Lakes campground. I ended up getting stuck on a very narrow dirt road for about 6 miles...I couldn't turn around (Alpine makes a pretty good ATV). It was after this that I noticed the problem. Once I got to the campground I had to hose down the toad and also the coach...dirt was everywhere. I even hosed as much of the engine and engine compartment as I could get to from the rear opening, after it had cooled. Additionally I removed the air filter and probably removed about a quart of dirt from it. The inside of the filter was very clean...it did its job. We then went on to Tahoe and that is where the problem showed up. I initially thought I created a mud clot somewhere and inspected the rotating parts but could not find anything. At Tahoe I inspected motor mounts and rotating parts again but couldn't find anything. Returning home from Tahoe, as I recall, it didn't vibrate one time. I have not taken it out since but I am virtually certain there was no vibration on the trip home...this was two months ago. Perhaps I still have the problem and was just lucky enough that it didn't show up on the way home. It is obvious that I need to test it more.

Nothing unusual concerning your other questions but it was a vibration you could both feel and hear...not from the steering though.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #16

You asked about the air bags that I suggested to you. My MH had a rear bag leak and I initially had the same vibration symptom that you describe. Your problem may be totally unrelated. On my coach with the rear bag leaking the coach would sometimes touch the frame and cause the vibrations to be felt and heard. It if a simple check if you can hear air leaks. Unfortunately my hearing is not so good but wife could hear them. Run engine and inflate suspension the turn it off and check for Keats and ride height. Have you noticed the air compressor cycling more often?

Old 11-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
I removed the air filter and probably removed about a quart of dirt from it. The inside of the filter was very clean...it did its job. We then went on to Tahoe and that is where the problem showed up.
With that much dust don't trust the Air Filters are still good. We don't have the Cyclone type air filters on our Diesel Pushers like logging, dump trucks and other HD Construction trucks where they spin out the majority of the dust. Even my Kubota compact tractor has a cyclone filter and after that much dust I replace it on general principles.

Engine Air Filter assembly: disassemble and inspect for mis-aligned assembly, replace the air filter cartridge and reassemble.

Air Compressor filter assembly: I can't remember it's configuration, but if it has a replaceable filter cartridge--replace it.
v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8dave View Post
Air Compressor filter assembly: I can't remember it's configuration, but if it has a replaceable filter cartridge--replace it.
My comment above is incorrect, I can't find any reference to an Air Compressor filter. What I remembered was the Air Dryer and I thought it was also a filter. My assumption now is the Engine Air filter is also filtering the air to the compressor. I'll have to get out to the storage yard and have a look at how it actually does work.

v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vibration