Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #1

Stuck Jack

One of my jacks will only come halfway up. Passenger/rear. Any suggestions or recommendations?? I leave Thursday for ACA rally in the desert so I need to get this fixed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #2

Who is the manufacturer of your "Jacks"? Are they electric or are they hydraulic? What have you done so far to attempt to fix, and what was the result?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:05 PM   #3

Search f104 stuck jack and you may get a quicker solution. If hydraulic, springs retract them (or not) and they can be pried up with a large lever. My auto-level system, on occasion, won't retract one jack, so I use manual UP.

A light coating of the shiny jack shafts with silicone spray really helped their operation, especially retraction, while not gumming up as any oily spray will. Per my engineer bro-in-law, longtime RVer with the same system, I use the dry silicone ( which HIS manual states) versus WD40 (many here state). WD40 is an oil spray.

They work much better now, w/o new springs, too.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:08 PM   #4

I have this happen once and a while. I extend them all and spray with WD40 don't wipe and retract. If it still doesn't go up I use a 2x4 with leverage to pressure it up with the Hwh in the on position. Then run them down and up again.
Schuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:39 PM   #5

Most likely culprit is weak springs. If you’ve had them extended for any length of time in Indio they could be a bit crusty. HWH recommends spraying with WD40, while they are extended, to “clean” and then wipe off excess. The hydraulic fluid in the jack acts as a lubricant for the piston. After that, use the lever technique if necessary to force it up. If that doesn’t work it’s probably bent. Take a wad of cash to Quartzite where the solution awaits.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #6

I agree with the WD40 and 2X4 solution. Happens on occasion and this fixes it on my coach.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:26 PM   #7

Oh! And the HWH has to be in the STORE mode for the 2X4 or other lever to work. Still doesn't go up easy.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:14 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I have one that occasionally stopped half way up and it's the only one that had new springs. For me it wasn't the springs. A good cleaning of the shaft with wd40 and problem solved.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:34 PM   #9

"Big D9; Your intent may be to help, but the nature of your questions reveals the reason why we discourage people who own other types of RV's from involving them-selves here. You obviously don't understand Alpine coach systems, so please don't offer advice on them.
Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:22 PM   #10

When I spray wd-40 on mine they go up for a while then in a couple weeks they stick again. For this reason I feel strongly that my shafts are not bent. I replaced all with new springs but same problem.

I heard that the seals get stiff and new seals are now the solution. My seals do not leak, so until they do, my solution works pretty darn good. I carry a $69 aluminum floor jack Harbor Freight and push the ones that are slow, up.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:26 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley do-right View Post
"Big D9; Your intent may be to help, but the nature of your questions reveals the reason why we discourage people who own other types of RV's from involving them-selves here. You obviously don't understand Alpine coach systems, so please don't offer advice on them.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:53 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
I have just the opposite problem. After driving for an hour or so I get an alarm and the HWH panel shows one jack down...always the same one. I hit the button once and then STOW and it comes right back up. Anyone have this happen, or ideas about the reason and the fix?
Thanks for any guidance.
Mikanjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:31 AM   #13

...help us help you--add your year and model of Alpine to the sig block so we know your coach when you post. Many older Alpines have this issue--often its the jack next to the radiator stack. Heat build up from the engine tends to expand the fluid in the jack and push it down a bit. Tip--always let the HWH system complete its auto store function before you start the engine to leave in the mornings. New springs may help but probably not.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:55 AM   #14

I use Corrosion-X for the sticky jack. Extend jack, clean it w/C-X & scrub the C-X off. I only have to do it every 18-24 months. On mine I can see where the annular mark is where the crud sticks. Might also try wiping off the seal lips when cleaning so treatment lasts longer.