Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Stupid Question - Information for Residential Fridge owners

Hello All,
It occurred to me, that I have never seen a place to add transmission fluid if it became necessary, is there one someplace? If you had to use the tube which has the dip stick, what method do you use?

We have the residential fridge in our coach, and I was looking under it the other day, and saw lots of dust, which I realized blocks it from circulating air and allowing the compressor and fan to operate correctly. It's impossible (in our installation) to get a vacuum crevice tool under it, so I got my portable compressor, set the output pressure to 40-60 PSI, and blew out all the dust from it and under the slide in the kitchen. Now you can hardly hear the refer run, and we got rid of all that dust. I am now adding this to my fall/spring maintenance items.

It's also important to blow out the outside of the RV type refer area as it needs to be clean so it circulates the heat out to the top of the unit.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
The "stick" is the place. My area is tight by that I can't raise even a qt. bottle all the way up so I carry plastic mixing cups that are heavy duty, ie: for pouring paint into from Lowes. Pinch the top a bit, pour.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #3

Yes, you add oil through the dipstick tube. You can get a special funnel with a flexible tube or one with an angled funnel. You can also get a flexible hose that screws on to the quart container and just squeeze the container to add oil. I have never had to add a drop between changes though.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #4

That is where I pumped the 5 gallons into my transmission when I changed the fluid.

On the fridge I used a section of 1/2 inch clear tubing adapted to my vacuum hose to get the dust out. Thanks for the reminder that task is over due
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #5

Pretty sure the Allison 3000 only holds 4 gallons....To check fluid level, tranny has to be at operating temp with engine at idle.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #6

Olds Scout, you are correct I had about 3 quarts left out of a 5 gallon can of Transynd.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #7

Reading and interpreting Allison docs is one of my favorite past-times--next to root canals. The latest 3000 specs suggest a 27 qrt capacity but the most I have ever drained/replaced is about 4 gals. I have never tried disconnecting cooling hoses or anything and am not sure if there other opportinities for fluid to pool/be trapped. Accordingly, I have been content to replace 4 gals at the "suggested" interval of 4 years or 50k miles [dont even get me started on what defines "proper" interval]......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you all, guess I will have to get another ketsup bottle with a small rubber tube out of it, like the one I use to add HWH fluid.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #9

Hello there is never a Stupid Question few Stupid answers anywho I use a sucker looks like a grease gun only it sucks fuilds has a flexable hose on the end.You stick the flex hose into your fluid pull back on the T handle plunger then you put it where you need filling pushing on the T handle. Nice easy clean way of filling, I have one for oils and one for coolant.As you know people who make M/H don't have to fix them or add fuilds, so this sucker works like a dream get them a auto supply store since I live in Canada I got both mine at Canadian Tire.

Tags
fridge