Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:46 PM   #29

I know a lot of you folks would like the full windshield in preference to the two piece. There are some drawbacks though, cost is an issue, not as many glass shops will handle them and does it get installed correctly due to its size. If I had my choice of an improvement I would certainly like to see the plastic dashboard in the trash. I find that it is an immediate drawback when you enter the coach, especially for the quality in the rest of the coach. I am frequently reminding people not to lean on it. Strange my wife keeps wondering why we don't have more visitors.

Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #30

Gail,
sure you dont want to wait a little longer for your coach so you can get the quieter fans?

hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:35 AM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
Nope, Hugh! It seems like we have waited forever already!

Mike, I'll add the Battery Voltage Panel to the list, and we'll see what we get. I'm assuming it is not a very costly item...do I assume right?

Ted, I know what you are saying about the one piece windshield, and we had that conversation with one of the old WRV guys a few years back. However, so many other manufacturers are going with the one piece, it seems like it will be easier to get them repaired/replaced now than it was a few years back. On the plastic dashboard, I agree that it would be good to look for an alternative, and I'll add it to my list. Do you know what the other manufacturers use?
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:59 AM   #32

Voltage meters read volts separately on the chassis and house banks. I ordered the two meters online from Radio Shack for about $30 delivered (cuz a. I'm cheap, and b. I'm lazy), tho there are nicer units out there like the ones used in the Alfa Gold. So an option, made up & installed oughta run less than $150 list price including O&P. Its just nice to lift the batt door & see the charging status on both banks at a glance & not have to fish out meters & further flatten my aging knees. The Xantrex AGS panel shows house batt volts, but not chassis side.
A really deluxoid package might also include charging/discharging amps and maybe some other info.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:34 PM   #33

Both battery voltages are in the cabinet beside the passenger, step switch is on the engine batt and the light switches are on the chassis batt. I am in the process of mounting a meter on that cabinet for the co-pilot to monitor!! Just a thought to add to the thread.

Al
Old 02-04-2007, 08:44 PM   #34

Gail and John,
Perhaps a rereading of the thread on stuck slides/hydraulic hose leaks, etc. would suggest another item for discussion with WRV. We owned a '96 Alpenlite 29RK for 10 years; its slide was powered with a single 12vdc motor driving gearing and two "rams." It was not a lightweight slide and it went out and in hundreds of times without problems. And it was so nice to push the button once each way and have the limit switches stop motion open or closed. The wardrobe electric slide mechanism in our 2000 coach is not nearly as robust (broken shear pin) but still a return to a better designed electric deployment might save lots of hydraulic fluid and cleanup woes!

and Starlight (January 20, 2000 - March 17, 2009)
Gary M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #35

Side-hinge basement doors anywhere the door can't swing open 150? or more (i.e. below slide-outs) are the clear trend in the industry. They need to be adequately sealing with hinge and latch mechanisms suitable to the more demanding side-swing operation than the top-hinge units. Newell does a good job on this, tho at a slightly higher cost per door
Old 02-09-2007, 08:17 PM   #36

Alpine Owners Club
Ont item that has stuck in my head, the thread on the heat being produced by the hydro-hot. The person from WRV that stated that the coach was not built for cold weather. Such a comment shows a real lack of knowledge of the product. Customer Service Reps. should not be put on the phones if they are not throughly familiar with the systems. For instance, it might not be necessary to know how the hydro-hot is wired but it is important to know that it will keep the coach warm with temps in the teens. Having knowledgable Customer Reps. would help give owners confidence that the company is on solid ground.

Jeff
'98 Alpine FDS
Old 02-10-2007, 08:31 AM   #37

Alpine Owners Club
Mike and Al, thanks for the additional comments on the voltage meters...I'll ask that WRV look at the options.

Gary, thanks for directing attention to that hydraulic hose leak thread, as I think you are right that a solution needs to be found for that problem.

Mike, now that WRV is only producing the APEX and Limited SE, there are no more basement doors, so unless they go back to producing the basic Limited model, they won't have to worry about hinges.

Jeff, those are good comments about hydro-hot and heat. I wonder if this is a hydro-hot issue or a design/installation issue at WRV. This warrants a discussion at Focus Group.

Thanks, everyone...keep them coming!
Old 02-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #38

Gail......On the Apex and SE there are I believe two hinged doors....one is double door with hinges on both sides and the other is one large hinged door. I would like to see the large door split and hinged on both sides.....seems to me that large door could be a problem in tight RV spaces. Maybe some Apex and SE owners could provide more detailed info as to if this large door is a problem. Additionally, I would like to see a additional gauge or panel for tank levels be put in Tank dumping bay........like what Frank did in his 03 40FDTS.
Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:13 AM   #39

Alpine Owners Club
Yup, Mike...you caught me! There are still 2 doors and they are hinged on the side. I, too, would like to hear from other APEX/SE owners to know if that one large door has caused any issues.

I just asked John what he thought about having tank level gauges in the dumping bay. He said he didn't think they were necessary for the black and grey tanks, but he would really like that for the fresh water tank so he can monitor it when filling the that tank without having to holler to me or run inside. Does anyone else have any thoughts about these gauges?
Old 02-10-2007, 09:28 AM   #40

Gail......I agree with John at having at least a Water Tank gauge. I was thinking that when backflushing black tank that you could fill black tank with water and totally flush several times if you had black tank gauge in bay.....just a thought.....hopefully else will have more insight.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:14 AM   #41

I agree about having the frest water level guage at the dumping bay. And with a switch to keep it on so that you don't need to keep pressing the button. I probably would not use the grey and black tank gauges from there, but if you put one there, its probably just as easy and cheap to put all three for those that want it.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:10 AM   #42

Another item I would like to see as standard or available as an option would be a "Fresh Water" hose reel. Can be either electric or spring loaded. I believe the Apex has it, but it would be nice as an option on the SE. I am thinking of all us with bad backs and knees.......any other thoughts out there on this suggestion