Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:08 PM   #15

We added the MCU's; at RTS this week, having previously added the Koni shocks. Add me to the list that noticed a major difference in the overall ride and the side-to-side jack-hammering effect over rough pavement changes. This combination really works, and RTS did a very good job of installation.

OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #16

Dale, did you install them on both front and rear or just the rear? I have an appointment to have my shocks changed to Road King and they say it should help the Wal-Mart Wobble but I guess from your post, I should also add the SS MCU's..Was hoping the shocks would do the job alone. Mel

Old 03-27-2009, 09:13 AM   #17

Sorry, I missed a post you did earlier Dale...Mel
Old 03-27-2009, 06:08 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
I installed the motion controls on both the front and rear and they did make a difference with the handling. I will be installing Road Kings shocks soon.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #19

Safe T Plus

Hey Guys,
I bit the bullet and am having Safe T Plus steering stabilizers installed; supposedly the most effective steering stabilizer available. My 1999 Alpine 36 FDS is 'Gone with the wind' in windy conditions and I wind up white knuckling it. Hope this expensive addition does the trick!

I'll post a followup once I get the coach back.

2005 Honda Pilot Toad
cajunjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Keith! SoCal Alpine would love to have you at Aguanga but certainly appreciate any raffle items you might wish to donate!

You replaced the drag link ball joints for us and we were very pleased with your work. We wish we had you do the Super Steer for us but we had it done at Quartszite and had the misfortune of having body damage done to the coach on a "test drive". However we think the Super Steer are the only thing to take out the side to side motion - and we are VERY pleased with them!
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:04 PM   #21

We added the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer at the same time as the Motion Control Units, and we notice a difference in both the wind, and trucks passing us, as well as a tendency to want to stay in the lane, rather than ride up or down one side of the ruts in the asphalt from the big trucks. Although the Alpine is a very nice rig to drive, I think the MCUs and the Safe-T-Plus, make a great coach even better and less tiring to drive.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:20 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
OF - I agree. We were very disappointed with the ride in the new Apex compared to our '03 40'MDTS. We first added the Road King Shocks and it still rocked. We added the Motion Control Units and it still rocked going out driveways and turning (especially right turns). THEN we put on the Saf T Plus Steering. It made all of the difference in the world. It now drives like an Alpine is suppose to drive! (Even tho we haven't done too much driving - as it has been in 1 shop after the other trying to get the electrical straightened out!) We will be going to OR in May and then to Ohio for the FMCA Rally in July and we hope that this cross country treck will be w/o problems!
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #23

Hi Rick

I would like to know how much it would cost to purchase and install the motion controls, new Bilstein shocks and maybe the steer safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlands Truck and RV View Post
Hey Rick!

Thanks for the reccommendation! We have Motion Control, KONI Shocks, and Safety Plus all in stock ready for installation.

I'm sorry I won't be with the So Cal group in Aguanga but I would like to make sure we get some raffle items to the group.

Thanks,
Old 04-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #24

Just picked up our '99 Alpine from my friendly RV repair guy! He installed Safe T plus steering control. It was a very windy day, and I drove about 20 miles on interstate highway. I must say that the difference is pronounced. No more white knuckles! I definately felt the wind, but didn't have to fight it! Cost:
Safe T Plus

2005 Honda Pilot Toad
Old 04-10-2009, 09:46 AM   #25

Safe T Plus $683
Bracket $60
Labor(1.5h) $157
Total

2005 Honda Pilot Toad
Old 04-10-2009, 09:47 AM   #26

Total $900

2005 Honda Pilot Toad
Old 04-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #27

Parts for Koni FSD's, MCU's, Safe-T-Plus, and assorted installation kits are about $2,000. Installation about $525 for all. Like I said, not cheap, but it was worth it to me. You may want to do them one at a time to see what gives you the improvements you are looking for. I would recommend doing the shocks first. It appears the other two items seem to have varying affects on different coaches. Talk to Redlands to see what they suggest as far as sequence if you don't want to bite the whole bullet at once.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #28

We just finished a 3 day, 1275 mile drive from Palm Springs, CA, to Georgetown, TX, after the installation of the Safe-T-Plus and SuperSteer MCUs at Redlands Truck Service a few weeks ago. We had previously installed the Koni shocks in place of the Bilsteins.

I have driven this same route round trip (I-10) 4 times over the last 3 years, so I feel like I know the road and the conditions fairly well. Last year we had the Konis installed and they made a difference. This week there was a significant difference from the steering stabilizer and the MCUs. We had 15-25 mph winds in our face the first half of the trip and on the passenger side for the second half of the trip.

Probably the two things I noticed the most are 1)the level of fatigue at the end of the day, and 2) the lack of "wander" due to wind and road ruts. I noticed the "wander" difference right away driving from Redlands to Palm Springs after the installation a few weeks ago. But I didn't think about the fatigue. Every day I was not nearly as tired as in the past, and we averaged around 425 miles a day, which is a typical day for us.

Even though these Alpines drive well, this combination of suspension/steering items really reduce my fatigue over a day of driving. It's just something you don't think about when looking at these components individually but you really notice them when they all come together and you do a long day of driving. You just don't fight the wind or a group of passing trucks with the wind, or even flinch as much when you're in construction areas with Jersey barriers reducing the amount of driveable lane available and a truck on your other side at the same time. And you're not constantly correcting for the wander with ruts in the road.

So, I would buy these not just for the control but the reduced fatigue in driving.